Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are too many @BillySpikes wannabees here with aggregated takes. Have an original thought.

@warfelg@diamondbull424@AFlaccoSeagulls@ramssuperbowl99@JaguarCrazy2832@NYRaider@Art_Vandalay@Nabbs4u@AngusMcFife@El Ramster@ET80

You've all been somewhat active on this thread. Have an original opinion. Which do you think is most likely? This is the internet. No one (probably) knows where you live to hunt you down for your take.

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

Sassy GIF - Phil Hartman Sass Sassy GIFs

I think C is the least likely. I don't care what people say about his principles, dude isn't giving up millions of dollars.

If the Ravens add a semi-competent QB or draft a QB high: B
If the Ravens don't add or draft a QB: A

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Sassy GIF - Phil Hartman Sass Sassy GIFs

I think C is the least likely. I don't care what people say about his principles, dude isn't giving up millions of dollars.

If the Ravens add a semi-competent QB or draft a QB high: B
If the Ravens don't add or draft a QB: A

He can do C and still make all the guaranteed money by signing the tag late. 

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are too many @BillySpikes wannabees here with aggregated takes. Have an original thought.

@warfelg@diamondbull424@AFlaccoSeagulls@ramssuperbowl99@JaguarCrazy2832@NYRaider@Art_Vandalay@Nabbs4u@AngusMcFife@El Ramster@ET80

You've all been somewhat active on this thread. Have an original opinion. Which do you think is most likely? This is the internet. No one (probably) knows where you live to hunt you down for your take.

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

Option A.

I think the fact that the most recent Ravens offer, which was their “best offer” never leaked gives this situation some potential for a quality resolution.

The Ravens PR can cushion Lamar’s ego by leaking that the Ravens and Lamar have negotiated their “best deal yet” and that he has accepted the terms… which in reality would be basically the same deal they offered prior to the franchise tag deadline.

So ultimately if/when late June rolls around and there’s no optimum resolution and if no other team has seriously gotten involved, Lamar can save face and sign said deal without the “embarrassment” of “if he had an agent.”

As in reality he likely would get top of market value with competitive guarantees… and he would’ve done it without having to pay an agent there 1% commission.

From the Ravens perspective, they want Lamar back and it would truly be a locker room issue if they’re not able to retain him (as we already saw some kinks with Bateman’s frustrations).

Lamar’s insanely popular amongst the players and if the best offensive player we’ve had in franchise history isn’t able to get a deal done it could cause further kinks within the locker room.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

I joked but its sad. Starts with "have an original thought" then asks us to pick from his own pre-selected thoughts.

I honestly think it lies somewhere in-between.  Do I think Baltimore wants to keep him and continue what they've built? Absolutely.  Do I think he want's out? Possibly, leaning 55/45 on he wants out.  I hope he's smart enough to know they built something that works around his strengths.  

He wants original thinking - I got one for you.  Do I think Lamar really wants all that guaranteed from anyone? No.  I think a big part of why he's asking for that much is because they haven't invested in getting a good WR for him.  I think if a team with a better WR group, average RB's, and a decent line could get him for less guaranteed than Baltimore. I could see him thinking if they aren't going to pay anyone else on offense then they might as well pay him for being the offense.  We may never learn the real truth here.

Like I kinda laid out a few pages ago - I think the most likely is after the draft, some team hoping for a QB that misses on one, approaches Baltimore with a different offer and asks to build a package around Lamar signing the tender, getting traded, and getting his deal.

This has been my thought as well. He watched his best friend get traded away and took to social media to voice his displeasure.

He watched the team bring back the same OC that resulted in his BF beijg frustrated enough to demand a trade.

He watched the team go into the draft and choose getting Kyle Hamilton (elite player don’t get me wrong) over at least being aggressive and getting him an elite weapon to replace the one they were trading away.

Then he watched as his best two WRs within a thin and already below average WR group go down with injuries. The best RBs weren’t back healthy until late in the season as well.

If I’m Lamar I would be wondering how you can trade away my BF, draft me an OL because that’s the basics of what I asked for prior to my BF being traded… only to then spend 2/3 top two round selections on defense… after the majority of money on the team already goes towards defense… plus I’ve not yet been paid anything significant.

The Ravens absolutely fumbled the bag within this relationship IMO. The Ravens being so stubborn in their philosophy that they legit couldn’t anticipate that their actions last offseason wouldn’t lead to this inevitable result was just incredibly foolish IMO. I said what you said above last offseason after the draft. I felt Christian Watson was their last best hope of avoiding this reality.

I agree Lamar hasn’t signed because until they give him a legit WR room… and commit to protecting him with a solid OL, why would he sign. He would lose all leverage of forcing them to build the offense with the same level of explosiveness and depth as they’ve done with the defense.

We saw with Deshaun prior to his scandal where he signed that huge deal and then the team went full idiot mode and he got frustrated and the media basically said “shut up and play” when he wasn’t happy with the organization. They were saying “well you signed the contract.”

The Ravens have prioritized having a “balanced” team and that’s usually looked like having a strong defense, run game, and Lamar making magic happen.. until he can’t. Personally I think you’re absolutely right.

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Only way Lamar can take less and save face IMO is to end up somewhere else for less and say something about feeling wanted and supported, willing to take less for a more complete offense, yada yada yada. 

The Cam Newton approach (if reports are to be believed)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

He can do C and still make all the guaranteed money by signing the tag late. 

He's still losing a ton of money in that scenario by not signing an extension though, continuing to play on the base money afforded to him by rookie scale or franchise tag would be horrifyingly stupid-

How much money is Lamar willing to lose in pursuit of a contract no one wants to give him? 8 figures,... 9 figures? 

After July 17th the tag rules prevent Lamar from signing a deal longer than 1 year with any club. It's hard for me to believe Lamar and his 'representation' would be stupid enough to not sign an extension by that deadline. Even for how bad they've navigated the situation up to this point, that would just be another level of self sabotage. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

He's still losing a ton of money in that scenario by not signing an extension though, continuing to play on the base money afforded to him by rookie scale or franchise tag would be horrifyingly stupid-

How much money is Lamar willing to lose in pursuit of a contract no one wants to give him? 8 figures,... 9 figures? 

After July 17th the tag rules prevent Lamar from signing a deal longer than 1 year with any club. It's hard for me to believe Lamar and his 'representation' would be stupid enough to not sign an extension by that deadline. Even for how bad they've navigated the situation up to this point, that would just be another level of self sabotage. 

Yup.

For some players, it might be better to sign a cheaper and shorter extension with a no franchise tag clause to gain more leverage to be able to hit FA sooner

6 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It's pretty similar to what happened with Dak.