2024 Blue Chips

Danger

3 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

This. Blue chips are not guys who you can easily compare to somebody from the draft 2-3 years ago. Guys like Aidan Hutchinson, Will Anderson, Treveyon Henderson, are NOT blue chips. Trevor Lawrence, Chase Young, Kyle Pitts are the type we're talking about.

By this definition, it's Marvin Harrison Jr. and there's not a whole lot else to talk about. I don't think anybody in the thread was nominating guys as locks, more players they think could hit that level.

Or do I need to clarify that I don't think Quinn Ewers is a blue chip prospect today?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Is Brock Bowers even a TE at the NFL level?  Listed at 6'4" 229 lbs.  There are bigger WR's.  I suppose listing him as an H-Back would be more accurate unless he gets decently bigger.  Not saying he isn't a good player or potentially high 1st rd pick, just that I don't really see him as a TE inline at the next level.

20 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

This. Blue chips are not guys who you can easily compare to somebody from the draft 2-3 years ago. Guys like Aidan Hutchinson, Will Anderson, Treveyon Henderson, are NOT blue chips. Trevor Lawrence, Chase Young, Kyle Pitts are the type we're talking about.

The only ones who fit that bill at this time 100% are Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison IMO

Brock Bowers, Drake Maye, Joe Alt would be the other guys you might be able to see in that conversation right now.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Is Brock Bowers even a TE at the NFL level?  Listed at 6'4" 229 lbs.  There are bigger WR's.  I suppose listing him as an H-Back would be more accurate unless he gets decently bigger.  Not saying he isn't a good player or potentially high 1st rd pick, just that I don't really see him as a TE inline at the next level.

He is a good blocker though. I love Bowers, but I will say that UGA schemes stuff up for him so well. He gets a lot of wide open looks in that scheme. Again, not his fault he gets stuff schemed up for him so well, but it's allowed him to showcase his talents more than some other players. I still kinda feel like he's a blue chipper, even though he doesn't have great size. He'll probably end up being 6'3 245 around the time of his rookie NFL season. I feel like a twitchier Aaron Hernandez is a good comp for him. In retrospect, Hernandez (minus the murdering) would have been a blue-chip.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Will he do more WR or TE things in the NFL? IMO probably WR. No one is gonna take him in the top 10, then play him like a standard issue boring 3rd round TE.

But whichever team drafts him is going to call him TE until the day he retires to make sure his franchise tag stays cheap.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He is a good blocker though. I love Bowers, but I will say that UGA schemes stuff up for him so well. He gets a lot of wide open looks in that scheme. Again, not his fault he gets stuff schemed up for him so well, but it's allowed him to showcase his talents more than some other players. I still kinda feel like he's a blue chipper, even though he doesn't have great size. He'll probably end up being 6'3 245 around the time of his rookie NFL season. I feel like a twitchier Aaron Hernandez is a good comp for him. In retrospect, Hernandez (minus the murdering) would have been a blue-chip.

It will be really interesting how Bowers looks without Monken as the OC much less mount Washington blocking and being a weapon opposite of Bowers, or an experienced QB.

I thought Hernandez as well, that is a good comp but yes like you said (minus the murdering), could say Kellen Winslow II but I would say Winslow in college was a more effective blocker but not the athlete Bowers is in terms of pure speed and conditioning.  But again Winslow II is an awful human being just like Hernandez.

If Bowers plays like he should he could easily be a top 5 TE prospect to come into the league in the last 25 years.  I still say he is nothing athletically to Vernon Davis who is the best athlete at TE arguably ever.  Bowers deep field speed is super impressive, very WR like but Kyle Pitts is also very WR like but Bowers has to stick to TE for the mismatch purposes, just like Evan Engram did.  

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Will he do more WR or TE things in the NFL? IMO probably WR. No one is gonna take him in the top 10, then play him like a standard issue boring 3rd round TE.

But whichever team drafts him is going to call him TE until the day he retires to make sure his franchise tag stays cheap.

Georgia should do him a solid and list him as a WR on their roster this year

On 5/19/2023 at 10:57 AM, Danger said:

The only ones who fit that bill at this time 100% are Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison IMO

Brock Bowers, Drake Maye, Joe Alt would be the other guys you might be able to see in that conversation right now.

PFF had Drake Maye ahead of Caleb Williams....surely that could mean nothing in the end. Is Caleb Williams a blue chip prospect? They're comparing him to Mahomes who I don't believe was considered a blue chip prospect. 

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hesitate nor be disappointed with taking Williams 1 overall. If he were in this years draft I think Justin Fields would've been sent packing and Chicago would've taken him. 

Need to watch him and Drake Maye closely this year. As a bucs fan, don't think we'll be bad enough to land the top pick. But top 3 is in the question. 

On 5/20/2023 at 9:07 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

They're comparing him to Mahomes who I don't believe was considered a blue chip prospect. 

I wonder what Mahomes' draft stock would have looked like if he went to a place like USC instead of an air raid offense? I know there a ton of other variables, but I remember one of his biggest knock was a gimmicky offense. His talent may have been neutered in a more pro-style offense, though.  

17 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder what Mahomes' draft stock would have looked like if he went to a place like USC instead of an air raid offense? I know there a ton of other variables, but I remember one of his biggest knock was a gimmicky offense. His talent may have been neutered in a more pro-style offense, though.  

That and he was a gun slinger. Guys like Mahomes and Josh Allen - sometimes where they're huge prospects in terms of size, arm strength and athleticism, if they don't show some of the little things - scouts pick apart the prospect. Now in no terms should that say "well anthony richardson" - completely different. 

Allen was harder to scout bc he played at Wyoming - similar to how Trey Lance was difficult to scout. 

I love caleb williams as a prospect. I wouldn't second guess myself taking him over Drake Maye. I'm just curious as to how some PFF scouts have Maye graded out higher than Williams last year.....when I saw more inconsistencies with Maye.