2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

7 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I think the FA WR class lines up with the Chiefs/Nagy scheme.  Laundry, John Brown, Gabriel would fit well. 

Nagy

X-Paul Richardson [Free Agency]

Y-Meredith/Draft Pick

Slot-Albert Wilson [Free Agency]

LaFleur [They are all interchangeable]

X-Marquie Lee [Free Agency]

Y-Mereith 

Slot-Calvin Ridley [1st], Dante Pettis [2nd]

DeFillipo

X-Courtland Sutton [1st], Marcell Altman [2nd], Jaylon Smith [4th] or Davante Adans [Free Agency]

Y-Meredith

Slot-Kendall Wright

On 12/14/2017 at 3:15 PM, Rogerthat said:

I have the answer to our RT problem.  the football factory that is NC A&T.  Brandon Parker 6'8 310lbs.  Pace loves the NC A&T guys

Whether we draft one early or not, I'd be more than willing to drop a 4th or later on him for the future. Massie isn't good, but he's at least serviceable, and imo my priority #1a is getting 2x Starting WRs between Draft/FA, Priority #1b is getting a pass rusher, and priority #3 is a CB... I think OT comes in after that.

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

So here are the WRs that are interesting to me. Any comparisons are just play style comments, not saying that is their ceiling or anything.

X receivers -

St Brown - Great size/speed combo, and looking at him he runs routes pretty damn well for a big guy. Martavius Bryant physically. without the diva attitude and I believe better hands.

Ateman - Big, fast, and somehow no one seems to notice him. I get a Broncos/early Bears Brandon Marshall vibe from him. Just damn physical.

Tate - Reminds me of Plaxico Burress when he plays. QB is killing him but he goes up for the ball as well as anyone.

Cobbs Jr.  - Cobbs Jr has incredible hands when he is on. He is underrated and from what I saw has a hell of a motor. Watch him make Ohio State's CBs look like clueless little kids. Goes up for the ball, makes the one handed catch a few times, goes THROUGH contact to get the ball, just looked phenomenal this game against future early round CBs. I have a link his catches below.

Sutton - Just a beast, looks like Mike Evans when he plays.

Sills - Seriously smooth catching the ball, seems to really understand leverage, and combines that with how he figures where the ball will be and how to force himself between the ball and defender. Snatches the ball with his hands and has a huge radius. I think of Marques Colston. Fun fact - he was the 13 year old QB Lane Kiffen gave a scholarship to  years ago.

Gallup - Physically he is going to go off in the Combine IMO, and the passing offense literally runs through him. He has 1350 receiving yards, all other players combine for under 2100 yards, the second best total being only 476. That says a LOT to how crafty he is to get open when they know you're the go to. Someone to look at as a midrounder.

Callaway - Talent-wise he is right there with Ridley and Sutton, but has off-field baggage. A strong coach and vet taking him in would do wonders for him, and would potentially be a major steal as his draft stock has to have plummeted. He has been compared to Antonio Brown for his talents, and if I thought he could get it together then I'm snagging him in the 4th.

Z  receivers-

Ridley - Probably the most polished WR in the class, just seems too thin. Great hands, if he wasn't in such a conservative offense his numbers would be crazy.

Pettis - Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Problem is how many he can drop.

Kirk - Explodes out of routes. Might have the fastest 3 cone drill of any skill position player this year. I want to see him run routes compared to other guys, has some serious potential if he can combine his freaky athleticism with honing on his footwork. I'm talking OBJ or Antonio Brown cuts. 

Miller - Edleman 2.0. Runs sharp routes, reliable hands, but is small.

Washington - Speed, speed, speed. Has some muscle to him too rather than the rail-thin burners like John Ross, reminds me of Percy Harvin, though not as hard to tackle.

Powell - Tavon Austin meets Tyreek Hill. He is closer to Austin but if you manufacture touches for him he will make plays as he can be electric with the ball and is usually the fastest guy on the field. unlike Austin he can be a real WR though.  The Gators joke offense has really crapped on his career.  Could be a late round gem to work with.

Good write up.  Personally of that list, if I was to select two: I'd want Ridley and Kirk..... Two guys both with speed to threaten the field deep, and both with good/great route running.

Gallup is intriguing depending on where he goes (don't really think he's gonna make it till the 4th).... but doesn't seem to have great body control quite yet... 

St. Brown....for all the knocks Ridley gets on his frame, how has no one I've seen commented on St. Browns? Dude looks like he's running on toothpicks.

Tate is super intriguing to me as a possession guy...

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The WR situation will be heavily dictated by who we hire.

Chiefs- they flood the defense with speed and go vertical from every spot.

Rams-need 3 interchangeable guys who can all kind of get deep.

Eagles-outside size to win 1 on 1s that are generated by the TEs and Algohiolor in the middle.

if we end up with the Chief's or Ram's guy.... Trade down in the first, pick up an extra second, then draft/FA some combination of 2 from Ridley/ Kirk/ Landry from FA..... Meredith goes from being our best WR to our worst, and good luck defending vs that much speed/agility.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Epyon said:

Whether we draft one early or not, I'd be more than willing to drop a 4th or later on him for the future. Massie isn't good, but he's at least serviceable, and imo my priority #1a is getting 2x Starting WRs between Draft/FA, Priority #1b is getting a pass rusher, and priority #3 is a CB... I think OT comes in after that.

Good write up.  Personally of that list, if I was to select two: I'd want Ridley and Kirk..... Two guys both with speed to threaten the field deep, and both with good/great route running.

Gallup is intriguing depending on where he goes (don't really think he's gonna make it till the 4th).... but doesn't seem to have great body control quite yet... 

St. Brown....for all the knocks Ridley gets on his frame, how has no one I've seen commented on St. Browns? Dude looks like he's running on toothpicks.

Tate is super intriguing to me as a possession guy...

if we end up with the Chief's or Ram's guy.... Trade down in the first, pick up an extra second, then draft/FA some combination of 2 from Ridley/ Kirk/ Landry from FA..... Meredith goes from being our best WR to our worst, and good luck defending vs that much speed/agility.

I'd be happy to have Ridley or Kirk. I'd love to snag two of the guys and have either one of them as the premier pick. I'd prefer in a trade down to get a WR though.

I think St Brown is getting a pass just due to his height and overall weight still being higher than the majority of CBs he will come across. He does need to add weight though, he is too thin and likely needs to add 10-15 pounds, then jamming him should be hell for almost any CB.

Speaking of getting stronger, Tate could get a few more pounds of muscle and fill a Vincent Jackson role nicely.

I love Baker Mayfield. The guy is super-entertaining to watch and I love his me-against-the-world attitude. But I'm already tired of the draft discussion on him.

Four-year starter, improved every year, lots of poise, good enough arm talent, good completion percentage, takes care of the football. Right off the bat, that's 

Baker Mayfield is a top-five pick all day, but we're going to do this stupid song and dance we do every year where gets labeled as a third round pick, then slides up to a second during bowl season, then "he should go in the 20s" after the combine, and then like a week before the draft the buzz goes through the roof. I'm not sure what he'll do at the NFL level, but his resume is better than any QB since Andrew Luck, outside of maybe Wentz.

If you guys haven't heard of WR Jaleel Scott from New Mexico State, I strongly encourage you too. I mentioned him on here (as well as Michael Gallup) several months ago when I saw him play live against the Lobos. I get a lot of NMSU games in Albuquerque so I kept a close eye on him throughout the year. 

Finally, I just noticed CBS has him listed as the #71 overall prospect in this draft class so it seems other people are finally beginning to take notice to him too. 

[

So, I'll stop with the Ridley love after this post but this is the kind of stuff that show the elite factor

https://twitter.com/WurthDraft/statu...24829946449932
A 10 yard stop route where he beats the guy deep, then stops and beats the guy again coming back for the ball.... Nobody on the Bears roster comes anywhere close to being able to do that.

https://twitter.com/JonValencia_WiB/...92224807346189
Getting 5 yards of separation vs an LSU corner (both of which are slated to go in the first 3 rounds this year)... Watch the draft breakdown of that game, he was practically uncoverable.

https://twitter.com/JReidDraftScout/...56870359437312
Probably his most shown quick highlight, where be breaks some corner's ankles and beats him deep.

https://twitter.com/WurthDraft/statu...43887865556992
Another example of him blatantly creating space for himself.

https://twitter.com/MichaelKistNFL/s...09226212360193
Working in space, showing Cohen like start-stop agility.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/921769481789206528
Tim Tebow's SEC "Freak of the Week"

And yeah
https://twitter.com/calvinridley1/st...571329?lang=en
"Bears come get ya boy also!!!" (after we drafted Eddie Jackson)

https://twitter.com/calvinridley1/st...69361769377792
"Bears fan"

About as perfect a match as you'll ever see in the draft world. A team that desperately needs a WR who can create separation and has the speed to go deep, and a receiver who fits that description who's also a fan of that team.

10 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

@pigsooie5 Nice video of Jeleel Smith.  His size stands out.  He has an NFL body. His hands stand out.  did he get invited to the senior bowl? or east/west game?

Senior Bowl .... and yeah super intriguing guy I hope gets to the third (and being there for us with a potential pick from trading down in the first for Ridley, because I want 2 guys from the draft, in addition to a FA like Landry)... but his stock will be all over the place before the Senior Bowl, and especially the combine (where Arden Tate will also make or break his draft position) so it's hard to really say where he ends up.

My money says mid-late 2nd rounder by the draft.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, G08 said:

@Epyon thanks for posting those, man! I haven't dug into these prospects yet but Ridley certainly is intriguing! 

6 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Epyon, thanks for posting those.  Starting to rethink what to do with the first round pick

After watching those I have Bradley Chubb as my #1 and Ridley as my #2.

50 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Baker Mayfield is playing in the senior bowl.  great decision to play in this game.  This will land him in the first round.   

No, just no.  Hes a good football player and i like him but hes not a 1st round prospect.  Maybe he becomes thhis years Russell Wilson or Jimmy G and he turns into a good pro, but he does not have the physical requirements to go in the first