2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

13 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Why?

Not saying you're wrong, btw, just genuinely curious.  I'm pretty early in my scouting but the first game I watched I came away a bit underwhelmed.

One of the games I watched earlier in the season, he looked pretty damn solid. May have been against Washington or Washington State. And in the "second tier" of OTs this year, I like him and Latham a little more than Mims. Mims weight scares me. I think Latham will be going closer to pick 10-12 then where we are likely at(18-20).

• Like 2

So here is a question. Early in the season I (maybe we) had certain expectations on who, or at least what positions, the Packers should draft.

About a half dozen or so games in, the Packers were facing a potentially high pick - and not playing well.

With the great resurgence, they have switched from a team picking just outside the top 5, to one picking at (at the latest count) pick 19.

Things have changed as the season has progressed. Do the Packers need a high pick at OT now ? Maybe not. Do they need a receiver ? Not very much, unless that guy is a bona fide no.1 receiver.

Do they need a CB now ? Well, given Stokes is on IR, Jaire is acting weird, and the release of Rasul Douglas, it is a considerably greater need now, than it seemed a while back.

Is a RB the second greatest need - or do you think we get A.J and Dillon back and roll with them again......

What is your preferred positional draft order and what is your order of need (not really the same, as some positions are bigger needs but are not premium positions).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Im not ready to hang the hat on Left Tackle yet.  That is absolutely where I go first.

Probably safety after that, and I am absolutely willing to trade multiple picks to move back up into the first for a safety.  We are already at "quality vs quantity" point.  The quantity has been working out, now to fine tune it with quality.

for me, LT, S, CB

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So here is a question. Early in the season I (maybe we) had certain expectations on who, or at least what positions, the Packers should draft.

About a half dozen or so games in, the Packers were facing a potentially high pick - and not playing well.

With the great resurgence, they have switched from a team picking just outside the top 5, to one picking at (at the latest count) pick 19.

Things have changed as the season has progressed. Do the Packers need a high pick at OT now ? Maybe not. Do they need a receiver ? Not very much, unless that guy is a bona fide no.1 receiver.

Do they need a CB now ? Well, given Stokes is on IR, Jaire is acting weird, and the release of Rasul Douglas, it is a considerably greater need now, than it seemed a while back.

Is a RB the second greatest need - or do you think we get A.J and Dillon back and roll with them again......

What is your preferred positional draft order and what is your order of need (not really the same, as some positions are bigger needs but are not premium positions).

For the like 11th consecutive year (since Nick Collins was injured) it is safety.  I think the best we can say about anyone in that group is that they haven't been complete liabilities all season.  Not only that, but only Anthony Johnson Jr is under contract next season. 

I think RB also has to be pretty high on the list.  We still have Jones under contract, but his career is closer to the end than to the prime, IMO.  Do we want to pay AJ Dillon? Patrick Taylor is a role player, and I think on a one year contract.  Can definitely use an influx of talent here.  

ILB is a need.  Campbell has had issues staying healthy, had some kind of outburst, and is overpaid for what we get.  Quay is fine.  I like McDuffie, but he can be improved upon.  

CB is also needed.  We gotta love the play of Valentine and Ballentine, but there is a severe lack of players here.  At this point Stokes is nothing more than a lottery ticket.  Alexander is a PITA.  Nixon is a handsomely paid Chandon Sullivan.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Dt, og, cb, rb, s, ot. in that order

If there's a stud RB in the draft this year, this is a year you could convince me to overspend on a RB while you also shore up the OL.

Adding a stud rookie RB to this passing attack in year two? Perfect timing with contracts. 

So, any stud RBs to watch?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If there's a stud RB in the draft this year, this is a year you could convince me to overspend on a RB while you also shore up the OL.

Adding a stud rookie RB to this passing attack in year two? Perfect timing with contracts. 

So, any stud RBs to watch?

Jones wasn't a stud RB coming out.  Almost need to look at limited use RB with traits that you want.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, squire12 said:

Jones wasn't a stud RB coming out.  Almost need to look at limited use RB with traits that you want.

Look for someone who can see a cutback lane and stay upright after first contact.  Those two traits will go a long way for a RB in this offense.

The anti-Dillon.

• Like 3