Which Franchise is Most Delusional Right Now

brownie man

28 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I actually think Sam Howell has talent though 

Agreed. I love Howell. 

Like compared to Desmond Ridder. I know he went after him but going into their last seasons Howell was getting legit first round hype. He's more talented than Ridder. In my personal opinion I can give them more of a pass.

Ridder did not impress me as a prospect, but he did flash some potential last year. He also has an amazing set of offensive players to work with. I think he will be fine, albeit, unspectacular. 

Plus the Falcons let the Panthers jump them to go to number 1 when their pick was behind the Falcons. I know the Falcons didn't have a DJ Moore, but still they waited back and did nothing. 

Atlanta didn’t need to make a big trade up for Young. Their roster (& scheme) is good enough to compete with a middle of the pack QB, which they might already have.

I don’t blame Atlanta for not going crazy for a QB when they have a promising one on the roster who hasn’t gotten a real chance to show what he’s got. And Ridder has some good upside. He has size, athleticism, and a good enough arm to make every NFL throw. 

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah but they’re like the Steelers to me. Content with being good even if they’re not SB contenders. Neither has the roster to win titles, but they’re going to be a good team.

I personally would tear things down with the hopes of a rebuild in the mold of a title contender, but there is merit to being rock solid every year too. 

Content with being good?    Huh?   

The Steelers D, while not elite, is talented enough for a run, if healthy, but they cant carry an inept offense....and we added a ton of players on offense in an effort to help our young QB.   Not saying it makes them "contenders" or even good, but saying they are content being merely good makes no sense.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Danger said:

I feel like the only one here that believes in the Jets. I could easily see them winning a playoff game, maybe even making the conference championship. Though the SB is probably out of reach.

I would believe in the Jets if they were in the NFC.

• Like 3

Feel like the Saints and Falcons are gonna be caught in that cycle of being like average to a bit above average for a little while. Like winning 9 or 10 games, picking late teens early 20s contending for WC spots with no actual shots to do anything in the post season. Idk if I'd call that delusional but that's just what my forecast is for those two teams who happen to be in the same division. I'd definitely be most excited as a Panthers fan at the moment. Falcons next.

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

These same people are the ones who thought Matt Ryan had gas still left in the tank and drafted Kyle’s Pitts over Justin Fields AND just drafted a running back in the top 10. No sir your front office is actually not making smart moves. They’ve been making delusional decisions for years. 

If y’all drafted Fields in 2021 like you were supposed to y’all wouldn’t be in this situation. He would’ve developed behind Matt Ryan for a year and y’all would’ve been good to go. 

But no y’all played yourselves thinking he had ability left. THEEENNNN y’all try to trade for Deshaun and literally set a grenade on yall selves then you panic and have to get Marcus Mariota. 

Y’all been playing yall selves since you gave Ryan that horrible contract. Been making bad moves since. 

Even if Bijan goes all pro you do not take runningbacks to 10. You guys are going to regret big time passing on Jalen Carter and Christian Gonzalez. 

Pitts was a Pro Bowler as a rookie. Fields still hasn’t shown he’s a quality enough QB for #4 overall since the draft. I get you hate the positional value. But what team is hiring you? 

also, the GM never actually wanted DeShaun. Never actually had a trade worked out. 

I don’t get the love for Gonzalez. He wasn’t a better player than Bijan. But Carter they might regret. However, it was a culture fit there. Gonzalez is good. But forcing a CB selection isn’t fitting what they do as a team. 

5 hours ago, Soko said:

This is always the lamest excuse on this message board. 

Dozens and dozens of people “much smarter”, much higher paid, and with much better resumes, make atrocious decisions everyday in every different sports league. If this was a valid excuse, then literally nobody here would have any ground to stand on to criticize anything anyone does in the NFL, whatsoever. How lame is that?

I wasn’t even referring to the guys running the team. I was referring to people like Matt Waksman and Kurt Warner. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Nah man, we don't lol. We were getting hammered for not attempting to trade for Jackson or going out and signing Carr. Also got beat up on for not drafting Levis at 16. 

So basically the same thing as us. 

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

I actually think Sam Howell has talent though 

Like compared to Desmond Ridder. I know he went after him but going into their last seasons Howell was getting legit first round hype. He's more talented than Ridder. In my personal opinion I can give them more of a pass. 

Plus the Falcons let the Panthers jump them to go to number 1 when their pick was behind the Falcons. I know the Falcons didn't have a DJ Moore, but still they waited back and did nothing. 

Commanders didn't pick till 16. Falcons picked at 8. I don't think they're in the same conversation. 

So was Ridder. This is revisionist history. The Falcons didn’t want to trade away three drafts for a QB. That’s what you are absolutely missing. Because it never works out. They waited back and stuck with who they liked better. Ridder > Levis. 

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

No they’re not. They are probably gonna win 8-9 games this season at worst despite having a roster than is uninspiring to say the least. I hate the Saints, but they aren’t gonna be bad. You can argue the merit of taking half measures with their roster instead of rebuilding, but they will be surprisingly relevant—at least within the division scope.

I still think Atlanta wins the division by a hair next year, but the eventual reigning NFC South champs down the road is gonna be the Young-led Panthers. 

Dennis Allen is also their head coach. I think the Saints are pretty bad this year. He’s not a good coach. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

The Steelers D, while not elite, is talented enough for a run, if healthy, but they cant carry an inept offense....and we added a ton of players on offense in an effort to help our young QB.   Not saying it makes them "contenders" or even good, but saying they are content being merely good makes no sense.

If you aren't in cap trouble it doesn't make sense to remove good parts to rebuild.

If you can stay good/competitive for a long time eventually a player or unit will become a difference maker and you can make a run.

As a Browns fan that sounds a lot better than tearing it down and rebuilding every five years. Steelers may not have won it all in the last 15 years but the stability they have had over the 4 or 5 rebuilds in that time seems to give you a lot better odds of doing something in the playoffs.

Sure, it hurts your chances of finding an elite QB in the draft but even if you draft top 5 every year that doesn't guarantee you are going to find a great one over a decade. It also means you suck every year. Not a great product.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I am saying Pitt will never be atrocious. They won’t tear it down like the Rams just did; even if they probably should to get back to contention. I think PITT will need to get a top QB to be elite again, which they’ll never do without blowing it up a little bit. I think they would be happy to win 7-10 games every year if it meant they never have a 3-14 kind of season. That’s what it seems like to me. I think you guys should’ve blown it up after Ben retired, but it is personal preference. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you aren't in cap trouble it doesn't make sense to remove good parts to rebuild.

If you can stay good/competitive for a long time eventually a player or unit will become a difference maker and you can make a run.

As a Browns fan that sounds a lot better than tearing it down and rebuilding every five years. Steelers may not have won it all in the last 15 years but the stability they have had over the 4 or 5 rebuilds in that time seems to give you a lot better odds of doing something in the playoffs.

Sure, it hurts your chances of finding an elite QB in the draft but even if you draft top 5 every year that doesn't guarantee you are going to find a great one over a decade. It also means you suck every year. Not a great product.

Correct. Exactly my thoughts. Pitt is choosing to hit singles and doubles rather than be a doormat in the hopes of getting another championship shot. That’s how I view it. I don’t think Pickett can get them there & they won’t have the resources to find that guy with a “good” team every year. Their only chance might be to trade a 1st for a future 1st & pray it falls their way. 

45 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I wasn’t even referring to the guys running the team. I was referring to people like Matt Waksman and Kurt Warner. 

An appeal to authority is an appeal to authority - doesn’t have to be Arthur Smith or Terry Fontenot. If we just left everything as “well, [insert coach/GM/executive/insider/player/former player/media head here] thinks [insert their opinion]”, then we’d have a dead message board. People who run teams, who’ve played for teams, and who cover teams, make mistakes dozens of times. 

I can toot my horn about Mac Jones’ offseason, his reported progress, how hyped the coaching staff/media members are that BoB is in town - but until those results show up on the field, there’s not enough shown for the majority of people to have faith there. The same goes for Ridder. The same goes for a guy like Love. Most QBs, actually. 

• Like 6

Define "delusional".  Using the recent Forbes betting odds of winning the Super Bowl:

Define "delusional".  Using Forbes betting odds of winning the Super Bowl:

Column #1   |    Column #2   |    Column #3   |    Column #4   |    Column #5
               |                |                |                | 
1. K.C.   +600 | 6. Jets  +1400 | 8. Miam  +2500 | 15 N.O.  +3500 | 25 Wash  +6000
2. S.F.   +700 | 7. Dall  +1400 | 9. LACh  +2500 | 16 Seat  +4000 | 26 T.B.  +6500
3. Phil   +750 |                | 10 Detr  +2500 | 17 NYGs  +4000 | 27 Atla  +7000
4. Cinc   +850 |                | 11 Denv  +2500 | 18 Rdrs  +4000 | 28 Crla  +7500
5. Buff   +850 |                | 12 Balt  +2500 | 19 Minn  +4500 | 29 Tenn  +8000
               |                | 13 Jkvl  +2800 | 20 Pitt  +5000 | 30 Indi +10000
               |                | 14 Clev  +2800 | 21 Chic  +5000 | 31 Hous +20000
               |                |                | 22 G.B.  +5000 | 32 Ariz +20000
               |                |                | 23 Rams  +6000 | 
               |                |                | 24 N.E.  +6000 | 

Someone who argues that a team outside of Column #1 is or should be in Super Bowl conversations could be considered delusional.  Advocates arguing their Column #3 or lower team is likely to make a divisional final may need to check their tobacco supply.  Those touting Column #5 teams to get beyond the "one and done" level need saliva tests.  (Someone has to win the two South divisions.)

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable as a passenger in a Bronco driven by a Denver fan.  YMMV.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Pitts was a Pro Bowler as a rookie. Fields still hasn’t shown he’s a quality enough QB for #4 overall since the draft. I get you hate the positional value. But what team is hiring you? 

also, the GM never actually wanted DeShaun. Never actually had a trade worked out. 

Fields has played on a **** team and has still show flashes of high level talent. 

Idk what your GM wanted but at the end of the day your owner wanted Deshaun and yall met with him. Played yo cards and then played yourself on Matt Ryan. Even though he was done anyway. 

Believe Ridder is the guy if you want. That's why I'm calling yall delusional lol. Just like last year when I said yall would go receiver first round and you didn't believe me smh. I know you aint forgot that. 

Idk what yall gonna do at QB you're not bad enough to get Caleb most likely. So idk man it's gonna be interesting.