What rookie drafted Round 3 or later will impress everyone?

Mr.UFO

Training camp time is here -- a time when team analysts and fans often look at rookies to see how they are doing. There's always a few that have people asking "Why the hell didn't he get picked in the first round?" Who will that rookie be this season? You can list more than one, be from your favorite team, another team, or both.

• Like 1

Please be Tyjae Spears.

If we're talking immediately, running backs do stick out.  Specifically Kendre Miller and Spears.  Jalin Hyatt I could see as well, since his whole role will be to run go routes and catch deep balls.  That makes it seem like some highlight reels are in his immediate future, though I've always been pretty bearish on his ceiling.

There are also some OLs I expect will see pretty immediate success, though OL play has always been hard to specifically quantify.  I like Braeden Daniels, Jon Gaines, and Anthony Bradford as immediate impact makers, at least potentially.  Blake Freeland and Dawand Jones could be huge booms in the future, but they both have a lot of work to do.  And of course, Olu Oluwatimi will be the dude in time.

More long term: Trenton Simpson is in a great situation, Cedric Tillman will turn heads, as will Zacch Pickens, DeMarvion Overshown, and Mekhi Blackmon.

A good chunk of the Bengals rookie class has a chance to have a pretty clearly defined role this season.

Myles Murphy and DJ Turner will both be worked into rotation as the 1st and 2nd rd picks.

Jordan Battle has a legit chance to start if he can beat out Nick Scott in camp.  Even if he doesn't start, as S3 he looks in line to get 300-400 snaps this season.

Charlie Jones is the likely WR4, which gets significant snaps in the Bengals offense.

Chase Brown looks to be the immediate 3rd down back and Mixon is probably used on a lesser percentage of snaps as he gets older.

Brad Robbins will be the starting punter

Iosivas and Ivey likely don't play much and will be in developmental/special teams roles.  I think Iosivas makes the roster, but doesn't dress most games unless there are injuries.  Ivey could maybe slip onto the practice sqead.

As for who will impress, my money is on Charlie Jones and Jordan Battle.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

Ji'ayir Brown deserves some attention, here. He's been nothing but a ball hawk in mini-camp stuff so far and will get opportunities to carry that into TC and pre-season. 

The word right now is that the 49ers love this kid and are trying to get 3 safety looks to get him on the field next to Hufanga and Gibson. 

To piggyback on what others have said Tyjae Spears, based off how he was featured during minicamp/OTAs, could have a prominent role. He was involved heavily as an “offensive weapon” during OTAs and Tim Kelly was quoted as saying they’re going to give him as much as he can handle.

My hope is that he’s similar to a young Brian Westbrook for us. Would be a no doubt homerun if that happened.

I think Roschon Johnson will get the most carries for the Bears, and I think his numbers will look very good.  

I had high hopes for Nick Saldiveri, where did he end up? 

I was also really high on Isreal Abanikanda.  I suppose his usage will depend on the health of Hall, but I really think Abanikanda will be good.