Justin Herbert Just Got Paid. 5 year/$262 Million

BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We'll wait and see what happens. Mahomes got a bag but he's going to quickly fall out of the top 10 and still has 9 more years left on that thing. Every time a QB says they are going to take a team-friendly deal because they want their teammates to get paid too, they don't.

I agree it doesn't seem to happen that way but I try not to put everyone in a box b/c of their profession or other reasons. Burrow seems like a genuine guy so I would like to think he will do what he says but we will see.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

He is not Tom Brady taking a discount to win SB becuase to my knowledge Pat doesn't have a Wife making 45M a year, like Tom did for most of the 2010 decade.

True. But she is a former international pro soccer player who currently co-owns the local women’s team (with NFL vet Chris Long) and she does health/wellness coaching and whatever else. She’s got 8ish figures on her own depending on what source you check.

16 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

"One of the most talented passers in the league" is how we're going with this news. Not "made the playoffs once and never won a game there"?

Yep, sounds right.

To be clear: No issue with Herbert getting this deal

“Made the playoffs despite Staley still being the coach.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I agree it doesn't seem to happen that way but I try not to put everyone in a box b/c of their profession or other reasons. Burrow seems like a genuine guy so I would like to think he will do what he says but we will see.

I thought the same about several QB's before they signed max deals.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

True. But she is a former international pro soccer player who currently co-owns the local women’s team (with NFL vet Chris Long) and she does health/wellness coaching and whatever else. She’s got 8ish figures on her own depending on what source you check.

Yeah I'm just call it like I see it with her and say that Patrick Mahomes probably fronted most if not all of that ownership payment for her.

Stop with the He wants to win more then anything BS. So does Justin, Jalen, Lamar and eventually Joe.

When Mahomes signed his deal he was the highest paid QB in NFL history. The market has reset itself. He is not Tom Brady taking a discount to win SB becuase to my knowledge Pat doesn't have a Wife making 45M a year, like Tom did for most of the 2010 decade.

Mahomes in the next year or two will be making $60M a season. No doubt.

Ah yes, taking a pay cut to 450 million from 500 million is something that can only be done with a fellow multi-millionaire wife. 

39 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Glad he found a million spouse/wife/girlfriend.  HUGE difference though when your wife is literally making twice as much money as your NFL salary. The real reason Brady had no issues playing at $20M for years.

Not his "desire" to win Championships over money.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

How can it be a similar deal if the Going rate for FQB is no longer $40M a season, but $55-60M?

You're being extremely naive if you think the best QB in the NFL is going to intentionally restructure another "team friendly " 👌 deal 15-20M under the current FQB market.

His 2027 salary (62M),  will become his base.

You clearly arent picking up what im putting down.

Mahomes will be the highest paid QB in the league again like he was when he signed his current deal which is still team friendly deal with the way its structured.

I never once said Mahomes will take a deal around 45-50 milly so i guess dont assume? Or project a bit? dunno.

But when he does sign his new deal youre being extremely naive if you dont think its going to be a team friendly deal to where it will make it easy for the organization to work around and move money around so other players can get paid and keep talent around him like his current deal. And this is what the entire point of everything that ive been saying.

Team friendly deal ≠ to taking less money. Maybe thats where the miscommunication came from.

Edited by Sad People
  • Like 1

Glad he found a million spouse/wife/girlfriend.  HUGE difference though when your wife is literally making twice as much money as your NFL salary. The real reason Brady had no issues playing at $20M for years.

Also, "former international women's professional soccer player" is gilding the lily... a lot.  Did Brittany play professional soccer in Europe and the NWSL?  Yes.  Is playing in Iceland's 3rd division for 1 season what anyone would consider a lucrative money-maker?  Hardly.  The average WSL player in 2021 earned roughly the equivalent of 60k annual (pre-tax), and it's worth noting that 2019 (which was 2 years further down the line from when Brittany played for Afturelding) was when the big groundswell that resulted in a roughly 30% pay increase for women's soccer that the USWMNT spearheaded took place.

I'm not an idealist here, I don't really believe anyone with the whole I'll give up money to win, thing. I've seen too many guys rumored to us in recent years early in the offseason, saying they want to win, then winding up with a lesser team that clearly had more money, to buy into that anymore.

But Mahomes is literally one year into his new deal, at this point. He has 9 years left on the 10 year extension. I do think a restructure will happen eventually. When it was signed I personally saw 2026/2027 as that point, as they kind of built in some higher salaries that kick in at that point, and that's the point where the bonus is no longer part of the cap figure, so I kind of thought around then we'd see things restructured to whatever the market winds up being then, he gets a nice signing bonus, we push some money back out again. But I really doubt we see anything major here soon. While the big numbers seem like a big deal, it's always important to remember with these 1st round pick QB deals, these extensions are happening like 2 years before the money really matters from a salary/cap hit perspective. They get a good signing bonus, just like Mahomes did, but in terms of yearly cash and salaries, not really. Herbert is going to be like the 15th highest paid QB next year, in 2024. Lamar Jackson will be like 11th. Hurts will be 19th. Aside from Deshaun Watson, because the Browns are morons, respectfully, none of these new deal guys are actually going to be making more than Mahomes in any meaningful way until like 2026.

I do think we see a restructure in the term of his deal, but I honestly think we're looking at 2 or 3 years from now.

And hell, it's not like they didn't know this would happen. But there's no precedent for immediately going back to the drawing board every time the next guy gets paid more. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Brady was taking paycuts before he married Giselle. He famously took a paycut to get Randy Moss on the team in 07. He just wanted titles and knew winning would make him more money longterm. A player will make far more in endorsements and post career opportunities than getting an extra 50 million more in their NFL career will get them. Any money he might have given up as a player he made up on the Fox contract alone. Ignore all the other ads, films, promotions he's been associated with because the world considers him the GOAT. 

Now not every player is going to achieve that, but if you can, way more money longterm.