Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

44 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I feel like this is really disingenuous to Lamar at this point. Guy is a unanimous MVP who has proven he can pass the ball, but has just had an awful scheme and no WR's ever.

It's fair to say there are still questions around Lamar. 

44 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Justin Fields is literally just a guy who can run. He's basically Malik Willis, but starting. He's Marcus Mariota with better mechanics. He's Tyrod Taylor.

Lamar is fields prototype at the moment. He is worse. 

A worse runner and passer. It's still the intent though

From my perspective, I think the broadcasts are too long and the non stop talk shows about football are too much, hence any really good player is talked and talked about as nauseam just to fill air time and superlatives are thrown about like confetti.

I guess what I’m saying is that every decent to very good player is overrated simply due to the broadcasters having to waffle on about something 😁😁

On an individual level, probably Jalen Hurts at this moment in time as he’s being talked about so much, even though he is likeable and had a very good season it is just one season on a stacked roster.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:01 AM, MWil23 said:

He’s averaged more sacks per year despite being double teamed more and having fewer pass attempts against than a “Tier 1 guy” Micah Parsons has had in a single year. The overcorrection here is something else.

Parsons is entering year 2 as a full time pass rusher. Garrett is in year 6... That's the difference.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:30 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

How is the rate in which you effectively rush the passer meaningless? When a stat like sacks, wouldn't be? Sacks are incredibly overrated as a stat. I think pressures are the most important stat to look at, but to say pass rush win rate is meaningless is pretty dumb.

Do you even know what pass rush win rate is? You can get a pass rush win and literally not effect a play...

9 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Do you even know what pass rush win rate is? You can get a pass rush win and literally not effect a play...

Also important to note that a pass rush win is subjective in terms of actual winning.

This is anecdotal, but I was reading a Seth Walder thread one time about Parsons and bosa talking about how Parsons had so many more "wins", but Bosa had a ton more hits. A cowboy account brought up that Parsons "advanced numbers" are inflated because he uses a rip move so much. So he ostensibly gets neutralized by a legal hold but it looks like a win. Someone posted a play example and Walder conceded it would be considered a pass rush win even though Parsons was basically taken out. 

Ever since then, I've kind of been out on the idea of win rate just a little bit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

How many times you beat the guy lined up in front of you isn’t important? 

I wouldn’t argue that any one of Garrett, Watt, Parsons, or Bosa are above the other to be honest. They’re all a little different, not none of them are overrated if they’re 1 on a list. The idea that pass rush win rate is a baseless stat is just false though. It may not be the most important or notable stat, but it does matter. The best guys in the league are always towards the top while the worst starters are at the bottom. 

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Parsons is entering year 2 as a full time pass rusher. Garrett is in year 6... That's the difference.

Parsons is entering year 3. You’re just a biased Steelers fan and Browns hater. It’s fine, just own it and don’t make excuses.

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Parsons is entering year 3. You’re just a biased Steelers fan and Browns hater. It’s fine, just own it and don’t make excuses.

I think he added the “full time pass rusher” part for a reason. I believe Parsons rotated between ILB/EDGE his rookie year, while predominantly playing EDGE last year.

11 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

I think he added the “full time pass rusher” part for a reason. I believe Parsons rotated between ILB/EDGE his rookie year, while predominantly playing EDGE last year.

I don’t care. He’s a biased hater who cherry picks and chooses whatever he wants to justify his own biases. He’s been presented with a plethora of evidence to the contrary and has chosen to willfully ignore it to justify his predetermined conclusion and has no intention to engage in any actual discourse.

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Wait is someone in here calling Micah Parsons the most overrated player in the league? I haven’t read through the thread so I am unsure but if so lol

Someone called him elite as an EDGE but Myles overrated in the same sentence, so no. I merely stated facts in that Myles’s worst statistical season from a sack standpoint is still more than Parson’s career best in that category.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, MWil23 said:

Myles has had 16 sacks each of the past 2 seasons and Parsons has never reached 14, and yet you have him above Garrett. Anyone else see the irony here?

On 8/7/2023 at 11:01 AM, MWil23 said:

He’s averaged more sacks per year despite being double teamed more and having fewer pass attempts against than a “Tier 1 guy” Micah Parsons has had in a single year. The overcorrection here is something else.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, Forge said:

Parsons is actually a guy I think has gotten a little too much love. He's really, really, really good... But I don't think he's best in the NFL level, and I feel like that is where a lot of NFL and media people see him 

On 8/7/2023 at 12:31 PM, MWil23 said:

I think he’s absolutely a great young player with a lot of versatility, but if he’s not a Cowboy, I think he gets “great” status instead of elite. That’s just me.

@Scoundrel context here

• Like 2