Preseason Game 1 - Green Bay @ Cincinnati

Leader

6 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I just don't think it's a total coincidence that he started out camp pretty terrible, and the longer hes had to work with the fellas, things have started to come together.

And with his career at Auburn, you kinda have to guess the staff expected a bumpy road.

I’ve had some series doubts about the guy. Not that he might be a good kicker, just that he might  not be a good kicker this year. It seems like a year we might benefit from a steady, reliable presence there while our nascent QB gets things dialed in. It would suck to lose a few games if our defense is going strong and we can’t quite get to the end zone but we miss a routine kick. In some ways, a year of lower expectations means we can deal with a few loses but I go into every season hoping to win every game. How amazing would it be to get Love some playoff experience and then go into  next year ready to contend. 

Edited by Refugee

Andy Herman's offensive grades. Didn't think Kraft was that bad. Dis Andy downgrade him for INT that he had his hands on? 

Offensive grades done!!!
Top 3 Zach Tom +1.05 Emmanuel Wilson +0.85 Rasheed Walker +0.70
Bottom 3 Royce Newman -0.80 Tucker Kraft -0.65 Kadeem Telfort -0.30
All grades:
Love +0.30 Clifford +0.05 McGough -0.25
Wilson +0.85 Goodson +0.15 Jones +0.05 Dillon +0.05 Taylor -0.05 McCrary -0.05 Pearson 0.0
Reed +0.55 Wicks +0.50 Doubs +0.30 Toure + 0.25 Watson +0.05 Bonds +0.0 Miller +0.0 Heath -0.05 Watts -0.05 Chrest -0.05 Melton -0.15
Musgrave +0.25 Allen +0.25 Davis +0.10 Kraft -0.65
Tom +1.05 Walker +0.70 Jenkins +0.40 Runyan +0.30 Myers +0.25 Nijman +0.25 Jones +0.25 Rhyan +0.25 Empey +0.10 Tenuta +0.05 Delance -0.05 Schneider -0.05 Telfort -0.30 Newman -0.80

Edited by Brat&Beer

Andy Herman's defensive grades. Bad performance by Jonathan Owens. Something to watch this week. 

Defensive grades!!!
Top 3: Carrington Valentine +1.05 Shemar Jean Charles +045 T.J. Slaton +0.40
Bottom 3: Jonathan Owens -0.55 Kenneth Odumegwu -0.45 Jason Lewan -0.35
Full grades:
TJ Slaton +0.40 Karl Brooks +0.30 Jonathan Ford +0.25 Chris Slayton -0.15 Devonte Wyatt -0.15 Colby Wooden -0.25 Antonio Moultrie -0.25 Jason Lewan -0.35
Brenton Cox +0.35 Preson Smith +0.10 Justin Hollins +0.05 Arron Mosby -0.05 Keshawn Banks -0.20 Lukas Van Ness -0.30 Kingsley Enagbare -0.30 Kenneth Odumegwu -0.45
Tariq Carpenter +0.20 Isaiah McDuffie +0.10 De'Vondre Campbell +0.00 Jimmy Phillips -0.05 Quay Walker -0.05 Eric Wilson -0.05
Carrington Valentine +1.05 Shemar Jean Charles +0.45 Keisean Nixon +0.25 William Hooper +0.15 Tyrell Ford +0.05 Kiondre Thomas -0.05 Rasul Douglas -0.05 Corey Ballentine -0.25
Anthony Johnson Jr. +0.30 Tarvarius Moore +0.20 Benny Sapp +0.10 Darnell Savage +0.00 Rudy Ford +0.00 Dallin Leavitt -0.05 Jonathan Owens -0.55

4 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Andy Herman's defensive grades. Bad performance by Jonathan Owens. Something to watch this week. 

Owens has always been injury insurance, no one gets hurt and he get cut. 

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Carlson: Sorry, but an NFL kicker should maybe miss an XP once every few years.

Carlson certainly needs to be better, but you are thinking of XP's under the old rules.  Not many kickers get through a full season perfect on XP's anymore.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Refugee said:

I’ve had some series doubts about the guy. Not that he might be a good kicker, just that he might  not be a good kicker this year. It seems like a year we might benefit from a steady, reliable presence there while our nascent QB gets things dialed in. It would suck to lose a few games if our defense is going strong and we can’t quite get to the end zone but we miss a routine kick. In some ways, a year of lower expectations means we can deal with a few loses but I go into every season hoping to win every game. How amazing would it be to get Love some playoff experience and then go into  next year ready to contend. 

Is there ever a year you don't benefit from a steady reliable presence at kicker.

Its the one position where how useful you are is pretty much entirely based on how steady and reliable you are. Don't care about upside. Just be reliable. Know what kicks you can make, what you can't and be as consistent as possible within that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Can't argue with any of this. The WR room seems pretty set barring something unfortunate. 

Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks and Heath. 

One of the key considerations for wide receivers 4, 5 and 6 on the Packers depth chart is what can they contribute to special teams.  

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Is there ever a year you don't benefit from a steady reliable presence at kicker.

Its the one position where how useful you are is pretty much entirely based on how steady and reliable you are. Don't care about upside. Just be reliable. Know what kicks you can make, what you can't and be as consistent as possible within that.

Of course that is true but it becomes a higher priority if you are an offense that struggles to get it down the field. We might or might not be that but a rookie kicker who really hasn’t shown much besides a huge leg means we are rolling the dice there while we had a vet who was a known quantity. I hope it all works out but it will suck if our kicking game is a liability while JL gets his first starting season in the NFL. A kicker you can’t trust affects play calling and overall confidence in the offense. 

16 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Andy Herman's offensive grades. Didn't think Kraft was that bad. Dis Andy downgrade him for INT that he had his hands on? 

Kraft was not good.  I recall calling it out during the game.  Could have been a little bit of jitters.  I do think he improved later in the game.  There was a Patrick Taylor 3 yard loss where Kraft missed his block completely and Taylor was wrapped up in the backfield.  I don't remember if that was the second Jordan Love drive or one of the first Clifford drives.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Kraft was not good.  I recall calling it out during the game.  Could have been a little bit of jitters.  I do think he improved later in the game.  There was a Patrick Taylor 3 yard loss where Kraft missed his block completely and Taylor was wrapped up in the backfield.  I don't remember if that was the second Jordan Love drive or one of the first Clifford drives.

Kraft is going to need a year or more to be a real benefit and by then many will be dogging him as another 3rd round bust. The TE/FB room will go as Deguara and Musgrave go, Kraft is a redshirt rookie this year. Expecting they will be active in bringing in TE's from now to week one and probably beyond.  

• Like 1