How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’m surprised he got it over Branch. 

That part doesn’t surprise me.

Gonzo is going to get extra shine for playing well against groups including AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Garrett Wilson. 

It’d take a lot of playmaking from the safety position to outshine that. Won’t exactly let up either with Diggs x2, Garrett Wilson again, Ceedee Lamb, Davante Adams, Chris Olave, Hill/Waddle again, and Terry McLaurin on the docket. Whether he keeps up the play or not, dude’s going to be battle tested by his sophomore year lol.

Edited by Soko

Joe Tippmann made his debut at RG and was great, hopefully he moves to Center where he belongs and would be a massive improvement over McGovern. 

Unfortunately they are not giving Will McDonald a chance yet. He’s tailor fit for the Wide 9 or a 3rd down pass rush role but they haven’t used him yet. For some reason they want to use their bigger, run stuffing DEs at Wide 9. Makes no sense. 

5 hours ago, Soko said:

That part doesn’t surprise me.

Gonzo is going to get extra shine for playing well against groups including AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Garrett Wilson. 

It’d take a lot of playmaking from the safety position to outshine that. Won’t exactly let up either with Diggs x2, Garrett Wilson again, Ceedee Lamb, Davante Adams, Chris Olave, Hill/Waddle again, and Terry McLaurin on the docket. Whether he keeps up the play or not, dude’s going to be battle tested by his sophomore year lol.

early days, but he’s been incredible.

another big test coming up with Lamb. 

On 9/26/2023 at 11:05 AM, General Tso said:

Would love to see how Saints fans spin this. Are they going to say they traded Carter+ for Olave?

We absolutely are going to say the trade allowed us to get Olave. We lost Terron Armstead at LT that offseason and were clearly going to be making a move for a LT in that draft. Without us acquiring a 2nd first round pick in last years draft, we likely just go with a LT in the first round and not a WR. By acquiring a 2nd first round pick, it allowed us the flexibility to get a little more aggressive in the first round to trade up for Olave and land a future Pro Bowl/All Pro WR. I don’t think you will find many Saints fans upset about trading up for Olave.

Hypothetically, had we went this route without a 2nd first round pick, then we'd likely be looking at a WR in round 2, which could have landed us a guy like George Pickens. Obviously a solid WR, but then we wouldn't have been in a position to draft Alontae Taylor with that draft pick, who is looking like an absolute stud in the secondary for us. 

The Penning pick hasn’t looked great, but this is essentially his rookie year after missing most of last season with an injury. Too early to call him a bust, but certainly not a good start. In regards to Jalen Carter, he’s been great, but I’d mention Bryan Bresee has been no slouch for us at DT this year as a rookie and has also made some nice plays early on in his rookie season, so that helps ease the blow of missing out on Carter (so far). Long story short, I don't think many Saints fans are upset with how the past 2 drafts have gone for us.

Edited by tyler735

Just now, candyman93 said:

Once again, none of our rookies are doing anything except Dawand Jones. Jones could end up being our starting LT at some point.

I really liked him and would've been happy taking him in the 2nd at the time of the draft as our future replacement for Lane Johnson on the right side.