Preseason Game 2 - New England @ Green Bay

Leader

16 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I think Heath has moved past Toure at this point. He's been the best WR behind Doubs. He has to be a lock at this point.

Y'know, when I think of outside shots going gangbusters in the pre-season, my mind drifts to Angel Echevarria.

39 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

-Once again, the safety play has been pretty non-descript.  Once in a while one will screw up, but nothing has been egregious, yet.  But none of them are really making a difference positively.  

Safety play is going to be a problem this year when we start using live rounds.

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

-Once again, the safety play has been pretty non-descript.  Once in a while one will screw up, but nothing has been egregious, yet.  But none of them are really making a difference positively.  Darnell Savage has been playing.  Did you even notice? Rudy Ford had a TFL last night.  Possibly the best play made from the safety group over the two games we have seen.

Savage not being noticed is maybe not all bad. Last year he was benched because he was seeming to chase big plays and finding himself out of position. If he just focuses on being where he's supposed to be, the plays will come.  

39 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Safety play is going to be a problem this year when we start using live rounds.

I have a bad feeling that you are correct.  I think it is also a tough thing because I am not sure that there was a remedy the way this played out.  I like the rookie class that we have.  I wasn't super enamored with any of the safeties in the draft process.  I liked the kids out of Illinois, but we are giving up picking Musgrave or Reed for either of them.  I don't think I want to do that.  And looking at the free agents:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/all/  I am not sure that I want to pay those guys (or even if we could).

36 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Savage not being noticed is maybe not all bad. Last year he was benched because he was seeming to chase big plays and finding himself out of position. If he just focuses on being where he's supposed to be, the plays will come.  

I don't disagree.  But I just looked at the box score, and he has made zero tackles and has had zero pass break-ups in two preseason games.  In fairness, I don't know his snap counts.  I am hesitant to say that not bad equals good on this one though.  

My one game over reactions, again OVER REACTIONS:

1. Still cannot stop the run when a team is determined to run it down our throats.  This happened in the second half of a lot of games last year and we still have no solution to this.  That 9 minute drive was not a good look.  We knew what was coming and could not stop it.
  2. Defensively, we still do not handle adversity well after a turnover.  Was hoping the defense would step up and hold the Patriots to a FG, but they allowed the touchdown.
  3. Either the talent at safety is lacking or we do not put them in a position to be successful. This might be the one area where we are most devoid of talent.
  4. Deguara and Royce Newman should not make this team.
  5. Cox needs to become more assignment sure. This was a problem for him at Florida and it showed up again last night on that TD run.
  6. Rasheed Walker has really improved from last year.  His strength was always his athleticism but he was really solid last night against the Patriot starters.
  7. Ford is the other player who has really improved over last year. Should make the team.
  8. Enagbare's added some variety to his pass rush moves and is showing he can be a real contributor this year.
  9. Cut-down day is going to be tough at the WR position. 
  • Like 1

Interesting thing about the Champions Club I went to last night; they had the Packers Radio Network on the speakers during the game, but at one point they ended up accidentally broadcasting dialogue that wasn't supposed to be, with Wayne Larivee actually trashing the refs during the game and saying 'fricking' before he got cut off.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have a bad feeling that you are correct.  I think it is also a tough thing because I am not sure that there was a remedy the way this played out.  I like the rookie class that we have.  I wasn't super enamored with any of the safeties in the draft process.  I liked the kids out of Illinois, but we are giving up picking Musgrave or Reed for either of them.  I don't think I want to do that.  And looking at the free agents:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/all/  I am not sure that I want to pay those guys (or even if we could).

Agree, thought we might have a shot at resigning Amos, but when that didn't pan out I knew the draft wasn't a great option for safeties this past year.  Hoping we get some good play back there, we'll see.

29 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Interesting thing about the Champions Club I went to last night; they had the Packers Radio Network on the speakers during the game, but at one point they ended up accidentally broadcasting dialogue that wasn't supposed to be, with Wayne Larivee actually trashing the refs during the game and saying 'fricking' before he got cut off.

They were definitely flag-happy. That illegal man downfield call on Tom was absolutely laughable. Didn’t get a good look at any of the ST flags, but since every return had one on both teams, I’m gonna guess they were ticky-tacky. The PIs on both sides were both called way too tight. (Though I’m glad that Valentine got a couple flags, I’d hate to see him going into regular season believing he can be that handsy). 

If they cut Heath, I’d be pretty pissed. It’s not like he’s made a couple of splash plays like a lot of former (and current) pre-season darlings. He has shown consistently great hands and blocking ability. Gotta be on the 53, even if Gute has to cut one of his precious draft picks. 

Was pretty happy with our ground game this week, thought last week 2nd teamers were pathetic, this week nothing much under 3, with lots of 5-6 yarders. 

Clifford looked pretty good this week without the bonehead stuff. Like to see it. 

I thought the safeties did make some plays—AJJ had a nice break up down field and Owens had that nice batted ball. Don’t know who was on the field for that 2nd Pats TD, but that couldn’t have been solid safety play. 

ETA: I hope they don’t play the starters more than a series next week. Our injury list, while nothing major beyond Tyler Davis, is getting way too long. 

Edited by mikebpackfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

They were definitely flag-happy. That illegal man downfield call on Tom was absolutely laughable. Didn’t get a good look at any of the ST flags, but since every return had one on both teams, I’m gonna guess they were ticky-tacky. The PIs on both sides were both called way too tight. (Though I’m glad that Valentine got a couple flags, I’d hate to see him going into regular season believing he can be that handsy). 

If they cut Heath, I’d be pretty pissed. It’s not like he’s made a couple of splash plays like a lot of former (and current) pre-season darlings. He has shown consistently great hands and blocking ability. Gotta be on the 53, even if Gute has to cut one of his precious draft picks. 

Was pretty happy with our ground game this week, thought last week 2nd teamers were pathetic, this week nothing much under 3, with lots of 5-6 yarders. 

Clifford looked pretty good this week without the bonehead stuff. Like to see it. 

I thought the safeties did make some plays—AJJ had a nice break up down field and Owens had that nice batted ball. Don’t know who was on the field for that 2nd Pats TD, but that couldn’t have been solid safety play. 

ETA: I hope they don’t play the starters more than a series next week. Our injury list, while nothing major beyond Tyler Davis, is getting way too long. 

Eh, I saw the replay of Tom's illegal man downfield call and he was definitely beyond the line of scrimmage.

Heath has definitely earned 53 consideration, and seems a sure lock-in for the 69 at the very least. Seeing him take on a blocking job on ST last night was a good sign towards the team's efforts to make sure he's going to contribute as a #5/6 on the depth chart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

I think Heath has moved past Toure at this point. He's been the best WR behind Doubs. He has to be a lock at this point.

He’s young, hungry, tough and has shown great hands under duress. Heath has already made my 53 and was only put on my radar here to become my underdog to beat the odds. It does mean things get interesting filling out the final WR spots and balancing what we’ve got at the other offensive skill positions. In the end we likely don’t keep 4TE and RBs can be stashed. Maybe a guy like Wicks makes the 53 but can become an IR stash. The final game will probably make a few decisions more clear, hopefully not through injury but ST play.  I doubt we see much if any of QB1 so theoretically lots of punts and FGs although don’t tell that to Clifford.

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Love is flashing and that's all I need to see from the preseason. The trust and tools are there. Gonna be a fun but frustrating season. Still think we're gonna win 10 games. 

10 wins?  I doubt it.  Probably 7 or 8.  But it will be fun to watch this team grow together.

• Like 1