Preseason Game 2 - New England @ Green Bay

Leader

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Evidently that Patriot player is gonna be okay.  I wonder if the NFL Network will show a replay of this game this week for those of us who couldn't see it live..?

They were scheduled to show it at 3:00 CT per the TV guide and their own website, but they're showing Steelers/Bills instead.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Heath isn’t clearly behind Doubs? I’m not following

I think he's saying Heath has more yards/catches than anybody but Doubs in preseason games. Also, he's the #4 WR on the depth chart, behind Watson, Doubs and Reed.

The first part is true, the second, not so sure about that one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, svp said:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfg1UDzYwns0jgCO5Sc

Karl Brooks and Colby Wooden

Both are guys with question marks, especially going into their rookie season. Both of them also have some interesting traits, quickness being a standout. Obviously they will need to build some anchor to see the field for large amount of snaps but if those guys can develop, the line will quickly become a force.  Great to see them both play some quality snaps yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think he's saying Heath has more yards/catches than anybody but Doubs in preseason games. Also, he's the #4 WR on the depth chart, behind Watson, Doubs and Reed.

The first part is true, the second, not so sure about that one. 

Toure   >  Heath, or Heath  > Toure.   At this moment maybe Toure = Heath..............and where does Wicks fit in ?

After Doubs, Watson and Reed I don't know how the others stack up.  I'd say there is a good chance of 6 WRs on the squad this year.

45 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

They were scheduled to show it at 3:00 CT per the TV guide and their own website, but they're showing Steelers/Bills instead.

This sucks. Just sat down to watch it and it’s BUFvsPIT.  I doubt they’ll replay it again either. 

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

This sucks. Just sat down to watch it and it’s BUFvsPIT.  I doubt they’ll replay it again either. 

They have it scheduled again on Wednesday, when I looked.  Probably the issue is that it doesn't fit in the 3 hour window they program for the replays, so they will have to cut it down and figure out where to stick it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not sure that I learned anything new from last night's game.  

-OL is a strength of this team.  Even the oft-criticized Hanson, Rhyan, Newman combo did pretty well.  Telfort looked strong and big, give him a season on the PS and he probably looks even better.  Walker was good.  Nijman was good. 

-I think the rookies kind of solidified what I thought about them last week.  Wooden and Brooks are pretty good.  Musgrave and Reed are good to go.  Valentine is a steal.  LVN and Kraft are not quite there yet.  Cox and Heath need to make the team.  

-Once again, the safety play has been pretty non-descript.  Once in a while one will screw up, but nothing has been egregious, yet.  But none of them are really making a difference positively.  Darnell Savage has been playing.  Did you even notice? Rudy Ford had a TFL last night.  Possibly the best play made from the safety group over the two games we have seen.

I’m nodding hard over here. Those observations are spot on.

I would only add that maybe  Savage’s role in pre-season games is such that a low-profile is to be expected.

(Sorry about that last take. the euphoric effects of over-optimism cause me to pass over potential team weaknesses.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I’m nodding hard over here. Those observations are spot on.

I would only add that maybe  Savage’s role in pre-season games is such that a low-profile is to be expected.

(Sorry about that last take. the euphoric effects of over-optimism cause me to pass over potential team weaknesses.)

I would be lying if I said I knew how much Savage was playing.  I don't really notice him, but I do know that he has been playing.  Through 2 games he hasn't registered any statistic.  He was only really mentioned by name because he is pretty universally recognized as being one of the starters.  It is more of a commentary about which players seem to be making plays for the defense in the two games, and the safety group really isn't making a lot of noise.  

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I would be lying if I said I knew how much Savage was playing.  I don't really notice him, but I do know that he has been playing.  Through 2 games he hasn't registered any statistic.  He was only really mentioned by name because he is pretty universally recognized as being one of the starters.  It is more of a commentary about which players seem to be making plays for the defense in the two games, and the safety group really isn't making a lot of noise.  

Savage had 1 series. Fired when he saw ball. Didn't get tested in the air.

Rudy had a nice dart for a TFL the first series. Second series, he gets buried by WR 84 doing the same move for Rhamondres 1st big run(Owens comes to support a little flat and has to chase). Then nothing for safeties the rest of the way

3rd series is already Owens/Johnson. Owens gets his hands on a ball at the LoS.

4th series, looks like Owens nights over. Johnson/Moore.. this series is short, not much work for safeties.

5th series--the start of screen every play offense. Johnson has great line of sight on a run play and clicks on it immediately and makes a nice stop. Johnson goes up over WR to make play on ball, starting to feel himself. Misplays a slant for TD.

Thats the 1st half.

1st series back Moore dips under a block for a nice tackle at the LoS. Moore gets some friendly fire after being a tad late to click on a swing pass, his nights done.

When the DL is balling out it's pretty tough to get any read on Safeties.

Very clear its Ford/Savage starting and I think they'll be fine, maybe underwhelming. Don't understand the consternation from the beat trying to figure out who's who there. Anyways, it's not like the Safety is the superstar of the defense here, I'm much more worried about the slot. Johnson Jr flashes, clicks in the run game and is athletic enough for the back end, guy looks like an NFL safety, needs seasoning. Moore's probably cut for lack of PT due to injury. Owens gets Safety spot 4. Could see 5 corners, until Stokes gets back, with Ballentine staying for ST, Hooper/Thomas to PS. I think SJC is the first guy to cut from the D. There's nothing there, he's so bad.

Carpenter does not look like he's enjoying playing over G/C every snap. Guys getting worked in there. 

• Like 1

My takeaways.....

Pretty minimal from this game.

It looked to me like two very equal teams who were trying very hard.

I thought the Pats showed more blitzes and pressure fronts against Love.  Our line held up great and Jordan played well.

If I can single him out, the Humper (Walker) had a very, very good game.  LT looks so natural for him.  I got a little pissed at him because he looks like he's going through the motions half the time.  Like it could be that it is just that effortless for him to mirror someone.  And I did see some good run blocking from him.

Tom.  I'll single him out, too.  He needs to start somewhere, hopefully RT.  I worry about pass rushers (speed) against him, but he's so technically solid.  I saw him do some great combo stuff in the run game, too.  He sure gets downfield quickly and into position quickly as well.

Our line overall looks very good and very good.  I did see Hanson get thrown around a time or two, but I also some him dish it out as well.

Valentine was finally beaten.  And our rookie safety took a bad angle and allowed that TD.  Too bad, because the rookie safety made a few nice plays on deep balls.

I thought I saw Rhyan at LG.  And I think I saw him run a great combo block inside.

Kicker has a huge leg and looked very good.

Musgrave continues to impress.

As does Heath.  Dubose looked very good, too.  I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between Dubose, Heath and Wicks if they were all wearing the same jersey.  Maybe I could tell Heath in the run game.  I know Wicks is hurt right now, but I'd be hard pressed to not put Heath on this roster.

Karl Brooks looks very good inside.  Slaton looked better, again, too.

F--- Clifford.  Making most of us look bad, especially me.  He took fewer risks this game.  Yeah, kid's a player.

This game carried over from last game.  GB is bigger, faster and looser than prior years.  And Love looks just fine.