San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

14 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Good lord.  Two first round picks taken #3 overall that can't win a starting job...yikes.

Couldn't win a backup job lol. I mean, losing the starter job to Purdy after what the latter did last year is at least somewhat understandable. Just bad luck for Trey. 

But if the intention was always that Sam would be the backup, they should have just taken the day 3 pick they were offered before the draft. Now if they are that desperate to move him, they could have to add a pick or something

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Couldn't win a backup job lol. I mean, losing the starter job to Purdy after what the latter did last year is at least somewhat understandable. Just bad luck for Trey. 

But if the intention was always that Sam would be the backup, they should have just taken the day 3 pick they were offered before the draft. Now if they are that desperate to move him, they could have to add a pick or something

tbh if the front office viewed a kicker as a late day 2 prospect, why move their QB2/3 for a day 3 pick especially after losing so many QBs to injury last year?

Edited by Trojan

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

tbh if the front office viewed a kicker as a late day 2 prospect, why move their QB2/3 for a day 3 pick especially after losing so many QBs to injury last year?

Depends on how desperate they are to move him. Pelissero said on radio that Brandon Allen is QB3. So if it was a binary choice of Darnold/Lance, one is backup and the other is gone, they should have just traded Lance. If they don't have to get rid of him, then I'm fine with having just kept him

Lance was a massive project from the onset.   He never had any business going to 10 or even top 15.    The trade was embarrassingly bad, and "sheer ******* hubris" on the part of Shanahan, who foolishly thought he could...unlock Trey Lance.

Lance did have bug upside, and I even understand why teams would risk a high pick for him.   But MULTIPLE high picks?    Never particularly wise.

• Like 1

Not the worst trade in NFL history (that's the Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams fiasco in 1999 for me), but it's pretty bad. Worst in 49ers history. Maybe more so the fallout after the depth chart announcement irks me more than Lance not working out. I'm a Shanahan fan+apologist, but this was handled terribly. 

BTW, the Mahomes/Allen hype machine has gotten way out of hand. And I guess even someone as sharp as Kyle seems to be maybe have let that cloud his judgment when evaluating Trey. Disappointing if true. Luckily for him Purdy may soften the blowback a degree. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

Good lord.  Two first round picks taken #3 overall that can't win a starting job...yikes.

He can't win a BACKUP job. Even worse.

I think the whole Trey Lance situation has been mishandled from almost the very beginning. Lance himself definitely has a hand in it as well, but it mainly falls on the 49ers coaching staff and FO. It will be best for everyone to cut ties and move on as soon as possible. Lance isn't going to get the attention and reps he needs to develop in San Francisco, where the team is good enough to compete for a Super Bowl without him.