2023 College Football Thread

Norm

3 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Notre Dame all over Williams all night. Is there a new Heisman favorite?

Think it's still a 5-man race right now: Michael Penix, Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, and Dillon Gabriel.  I'd put Penix as the favorite right now, but I think those 5 guys are probably the leaders in the clubhouse.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Jenix Jr, QB from Washington

I've watched all of Penix Jr's games at Washington.  Hard to evaluate him.  He's got good touch, but his WRs are absolutely great.  He's got a weird throwing motion kinda like Phillip Rivers.  He's very productive but not sure if it's Kalen DeBoer's system that is showing.  I'm not sure I've seen a guy in college hit as many bombs as he does, it's really uncanny.

Edited by NFLGURU

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Think it's still a 5-man race right now: Michael Penix, Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, and Dillon Gabriel.  I'd put Penix as the favorite right now, but I think those 5 guys are probably the leaders in the clubhouse.

Bo Nix? That name is so familiar that I swear he was the guy who succeeded Cam Newton in Auburn... oh wait, he WAS in Auburn, and now he's transferred to Oregon.

13 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I've watched all of Penix Jr's games at Washington.  Hard to evaluate him.  He's got good touch, but his WRs are absolutely great.  He's got a weird throwing motion kinda like Phillip Rivers.  He's very productive but not sure if it's Kalen DeBoer's system that is showing.  I'm not sure I've seen a guy in college hit as many bombs as he does, it's really uncanny.

It will come down to whether or not the coaches think they can fix the throwing motion, or if it indeed needs to be fixed.  Remember Aaron Rodgers at Cal? He was good, but he looked a lot different than NFL Rodgers.  He had that weird thing where he held the ball by his earhole.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Bo Nix? That name is so familiar that I swear he was the guy who succeeded Cam Newton in Auburn... oh wait, he WAS in Auburn, and now he's transferred to Oregon.

He's been around forever. I think he got a redshirt year and maybe another year due to COVID.  Good QB though.  

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It will come down to whether or not the coaches think they can fix the throwing motion, or if it indeed needs to be fixed.  Remember Aaron Rodgers at Cal? He was good, but he looked a lot different than NFL Rodgers.  He had that weird thing where he held the ball by his earhole.  

Yes, Rivers had a funky throwing motion too.  He did pretty good.  As you say, it will depend on the teams and what they want.

Former Badgers fan whipping boy Graham Mertz named SEC offensive player of the week after a monster day for the Gators.  Good for him.  Wonder if his time at Florida will get him a shot in the NFL.  He was so bad at WIS, I'm mildly shocked that he isn't a disaster for the Gators.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, Old Guy said:

Kind of hoping this is the year the SEC doesn't get a team in the Finals. Hoping for Florida State vs. Michigan. 

My dream might die because allegedly MIchigan just got caught cheating, bigtime. Even if they don't bar them from postseason this year, the committee may not pick them for the tournament knowing what they did. 

Also, without the advanced information, Michigan might suck.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Also, without the advanced information, Michigan might suck.

I'm not implying anything but in the Covid year and last two bowl games, where they absolutely couldn't have stolen their opponents signals in advance, they've given up over 35+ PPG. I'm not saying. I'm just saying. 🤷‍♂️