Week 2 GDT: Bears at Buccaneers

Ty21

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

No but given what he has done with Goff I reckon he is our best shot of fixing the one we have or picking the next one…we have to start somewhere.

If Fields still needs to be fixed after this season then it's highly likely he's not the guy and it's time to hit the reset button at QB

No coach is going to all of a sudden make him make smarter/quicker decisions with the football

That would also make 3 coordinators in 4 years for the guy

The chance of him being  successful in that situation is pretty slim 

I'm starting to think Bears (Poles) screwed the pooch on this one tho

Hiring Flus over an offensive guy like Daboll, McDaniel or even Pederson seems like a mistake unless Poles knew that Fields wasnt his guy from the get go and this is all part of some master plan

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If Fields still needs to be fixed after this season then it's highly likely he's not the guy and it's time to hit the reset button at QB

No coach is going to all of a sudden make him make smarter/quicker decisions with the football

Hiring Flus over an offensive guy like Daboll, McDaniel or even Pederson seems like a mistake unless Poles knew that Fields wasnt his guy from the get go and this is all part of some master plan

Yup.  This covers a huge part of the problem! 

15 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I agree to an extent that a coach isn’t going to fix every issue but truth be told Fields looks slower in his overall operation than he ever has before…that IMO speak to a player who is overthinking things and a lot of that is on coaching…I am not saying the likes of Ben Johnson would fix Fields…just that it would give us the best chance of fixing him as we have seen him do it with Goff…

I can get that Flus over one of the offensive guys seems like a terrible move but oddly enough my first Bears though of the day was would this team be this bad under Dan Quinn? I think that was the missed opportunity to get an HC in here who would have made a real difference.

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

I don't know who is calling to replace Getsy.  This is not Getsy's issues.  Fields needs to solves his internal conflict which I posted on the Justin Fields thread.

Fields will be great when he solves that internal conflict.

I am for sure calling to replace him. Getsy is trash. Like literally Nagy/Ron Turner/Loggains level trash. 

No way does Getsy get off free. He is absolutely a major issue for this and doesn't get to just kick blame over to the QB for a failing system. He calls the plays, he dials up the screen (one of over a dozen screens already this season) that Shaq returned for a pick-6. Then Shaq talked about how they knew it was a screen.

Fields is being forced into a pocket passer rather than letting him move around and change launch points for throws to pressure the DBs. He has had a TON of plays where two receivers are in the same spot. This is the 2nd year in the system, this should happen MAYBE once per game when they both same-side receivers make reads on the defense that oppose one another. Fields' dropbacks being so slow and lackadaisical is something that has been done repetitively in practice. A QB coach and OC need to be focusing on technical repetition just like any other spot, so having those stupidly slow dropbacks has been allowed. Teaching a QB to do 2-3 quick reads, dump or run is something that needs drilled into them with hundreds and hundreds of reps. Clearly that hasn't been done. THAT is on Getsy.  

Fields has a ton of blame, as does Eberflus, but Getsy getting fired if this level of offensive incompetence would be totally fair. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I am for sure calling to replace him. Getsy is trash. Like literally Nagy/Ron Turner/Loggains level trash. 

No way does Getsy get off free. He is absolutely a major issue for this and doesn't get to just kick blame over to the QB for a failing system. He calls the plays, he dials up the screen (one of over a dozen screens already this season) that Shaq returned for a pick-6. Then Shaq talked about how they knew it was a screen.

Fields is being forced into a pocket passer rather than letting him move around and change launch points for throws to pressure the DBs. He has had a TON of plays where two receivers are in the same spot. This is the 2nd year in the system, this should happen MAYBE once per game when they both same-side receivers make reads on the defense that oppose one another. 

Fields has a ton of blame, as does Eberflus, but Getsy getting fired if this level of offensive incompetence would be totally fair. 

Man, its insane how many god awful offensive coordinators this team has had since I've been a fan.  The only one who was close to being any good was Adam Gase.  My least favorite has to be Martz, he was probably semi-ok as a playcaller but his scheme was BS and I'll never forgive him for forcing a trade of Greg Olsen.  

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

He calls the plays, he dials up the screen (one of over a dozen screens already this season) that Shaq returned for a pick-6. Then Shaq talked about how they knew it was a screen.

Did they say anything else?  I Thought that play got blown up pretty immediately and was confused as to what the tip off was (besides a screen being statistically likely) that let TB get right in the way of that play.

The screens have had success, we have far bigger problems than just too many screens.  Players are sloppy as hell, OL is talent deficient, pretty sure the QB is wrecked in the head...  playcalling has had successes but they're more than overmatched with plays that don't even make sense is a theoretical way. I swear there are plays out there where receivers are supposed to run into each other, and plays where OL are just supposed to... leave?  It's all bad.  Getting better in season would require a couple of things to change, not just better playcalls, or Jenkins comes back, or Fields says screw-it and starts playing backyard ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

Man, its insane how many god awful offensive coordinators this team has had since I've been a fan.  The only one who was close to being any good was Adam Gase.  My least favorite has to be Martz, he was probably semi-ok as a playcaller but his scheme was BS and I'll never forgive him for forcing a trade of Greg Olsen.  

Martz will always be hated by me. His scheme was fine IF you had the talent for it. Cutler could sling it but Hester, Knox, Bennett weren't exactly Holt/Bruce/Proehl. Sure as hell didn't have Orlando Pace on the OL either. Actually I think the only position on the OL that the 2010Bears had that was at least as good on the OL was Kreutz, but he was aging. In 2011 there was no one that matched their OL. Just ridiculous to think Jay was going to make that kind of offense happen with those pieces, especially when they traded Olsen. 

That trade was disgusting, and looking back may have been where I turned on Lovie.