Week 5: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

13 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Watchlist this week time permitting (be lucky if I can watch two) 

1981 Week 6 Cowboys at 49ers

1981 NFC Championship Cowboys at 49ers

1983 Week 16 Cowboys at 49ers

1985 Week 16 Cowboys at 49ers 

1994 Week 11 Cowboys at 49ers

1994 NFC Championship Game 49ers at Cowboys 

1995 Week 11 49ers at Cowboys 

Or maybe I'll just watch last year's playoff game. Feel the need to get hyphy. 

I've queued up the last two playoff meetings to watch this week. I'm excited to watch the endings again lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49erscap said:

Where did you guys get copies of these games? Just curious.

I'm just going to watch the highlights of both games on YouTube. I don't have time (or interest) to watch full games this week. But yeah, YouTube and NFL+ are two places you could watch full and/or condensed games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

The narrative is already set for a lot of people. He's going to need a bigger sample of games, which is reasonable. But then he'll need a sample of shredding top defenses. Again, reasonable, but that will probably only move the needle a little if he's doing it with these skill players though. Then he'll need some of the skill players to turn over. Then he'll probably need shanny to retire. 

You’re not wrong. Gonna need a game with multiple weapons out and he wins the game with his arm. I’m also sure I’m jinxing him for this week but the longer he goes without a pick, it’ll get noticed as well. 

I don’t have a problem with it. Would love for everyone to watch each game and see same stuff we all see each week, but that’s not how this works. His draft position, being on this talented of a roster, and I think Jimmy still winning with this team despite never looking great all play a role in this. People said Jimmy sucked but won so Purdy just becomes the next guy winning because of the talent around him and the system. 

19 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

We still do most of our damage on in-breakers, but I've been really happy with how well we've adapted to the specific looks teams have dreamed up to try and take us away from our bread and butter.

The Steelers tried some clever zone blitzes with edge players dropping into slant windows. The Rams went with 8 in man coverage looks often with a single high safety and two underneath help players. The Giants blitzed zero often, which meant that they could continuously play a lot of inside leverage man behind it. And the Cardinals played some interesting cover 4 variants that rotated down onto some of our intermediate ins.

And we've handled each of these much better with Purdy than with Jimmy (knock on wood). Against Pittsburgh, we did a good job getting to the second and third read and hit Aiyuk to the outside when they showed man with inside help. The Rams game was rough - Aiyuk's injury hampered our ability to attack man to the outside areas of the field. But we got there eventually with a back shoulder to Jennings. Against the Giants we found answers both in pocket maneuvering and in dialing up double moves with more protection to break the single coverage inside leverage with no help. And the return of Aiyuk and some good work by Purdy anticipating coverage rotations eviscerated what the Cardinals were doing.

I'm worried about our pass protection holding up. And defenses exploiting our blitz pickup rules. But I do not fear the quarterback not understanding defensive efforts to stop him any more. It is a good feeling.

Edited by JIllg
dummy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

You’re not wrong. Gonna need a game with multiple weapons out and he wins the game with his arm. I’m also sure I’m jinxing him for this week but the longer he goes without a pick, it’ll get noticed as well. 

I don’t have a problem with it. Would love for everyone to watch each game and see same stuff we all see each week, but that’s not how this works. His draft position, being on this talented of a roster, and I think Jimmy still winning with this team despite never looking great all play a role in this. People said Jimmy sucked but won so Purdy just becomes the next guy winning because of the talent around him and the system. 

I'll add to this to say it took about 5 to 7 years for many in the media to think that Tom Brady was anything more than a system QB with a great head coach and an awesome defense. Then he kept winning. Hopefully Brock has a similar storyline and is as successful for even half the time.

• Like 2