First Coach Fired Thread

SaveOurSonics

14 hours ago, UK_E-A-G-L-E-S_FAN said:

Should Bill Belichick consider retiring? He's just not able to get it done without Brady. Was it a case of right place, right time, did Brady carry him?

Pats are 2-8. I'd think a legendary coach would get it done regardless? No?

Through Week 10 of the 2023 NFL season, Belichick has a record of just 82-98 without Brady as his quarterback. That's good for a winning percentage of just .463 and pales in comparison to what Belichick has achieved with his long-time quarterback.

Bill Belichick Wins Losses Winning % Super Bowl titles (as HC)
With Tom Brady 249 75 .769 6
Without Tom Brady 82 98 .456 0

I have three thoughts on this;

- it’s unfair to take away the best player of a coach’s tenure and count his record as that, without doing the same for others. The best coaches have probably had the best players at some point 

- why is it not just accepted that both worked for each other. Bill needed Brady, but maybe Brady needed Bill, the culture he set, the defences he prepared, the standards he set etc. we were always hearing how Brady had things other QBs didn’t get. 

- The game has now passed BB by. He’s done. 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because we saw Brady win a SB without Belicheck. 

He had a stacked team there though, and did he even look that good in playoffs? 

There’s so much revisionism in the BB/TB thing. When TB was here, we were constantly having to defend him from those that said it was all BB. We can’t win 😂 (great chance for a pun or ironic joke there…)

the 11-5 season without Tom was everyone’s proof at the time

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

Just now, Jeezla said:

That roster has about as much offensive talent as Carolina

I understand that, but Daboll has done much to help them. Taking blowout losses. Players spatting on the sidelines. Saw him cussing/chastising player coming off the field recently. There are cracks in that foundation. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:
7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because we saw Brady win a SB without Belicheck. 

He had a stacked team there though, and did he even look that good in playoffs? 

I remember him making a few clutch plays during that run - sure, he had a stacked squad, but that squad was inconsistent pre-Brady as well as post-Brady. Tampa Bay hasn't been able to recreate that success with their other QBs.

He also brought his best weapon along for the ride - maybe we should credit Gronk instead? 

Just now, ET80 said:

I remember him making a few clutch plays during that run - sure, he had a stacked squad, but that squad was inconsistent pre-Brady as well as post-Brady. Tampa Bay hasn't been able to recreate that success with their other QBs.

He also brought his best weapon along for the ride - maybe we should credit Gronk instead? 

This is my point - the only thing I really have strong opinions about in all this is that it’s rarely black and white. We don’t ever accept the gray. Both worked very well for each other, and there’s a ton of other variables to mix in too.

that said, i reiterate that I do think BB is done now. We have completely lost the things that signified us a “BB coached team” - we are poor on ST, undisciplined and unprepared. Brady not being here doesn’t explain why we keep fulmbling, keep fighting at the end of games, have terrible penalties on ST that extend opposition drives, offensive line absolute dust…etc 

• Like 1

The QB has always been more important than the head coach but that doesn't mean Belichick wasn't crucial to the success of the Pats in the Brady era

Brady was still very good at the start of his career when he won 3 super bowls, but he was still not what he became later, especially in 2001...

I believe that Belichick at this point is still a good coach but the problem is, he is just an awful GM in the last 5 years at least...A head coach can also become washed out at the end like Tom Landry was in his last 3 years and Chuck Noll when the Steelers had missed the playoffs in 6 of his last 7 years under Noll

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I have three thoughts on this;

- it’s unfair to take away the best player of a coach’s tenure and count his record as that, without doing the same for others. The best coaches have probably had the best players at some point 

- why is it not just accepted that both worked for each other. Bill needed Brady, but maybe Brady needed Bill, the culture he set, the defences he prepared, the standards he set etc. we were always hearing how Brady had things other QBs didn’t get. 

- The game has now passed BB by. He’s done. 

The issue isn't Bill the coach. It's Bill the GM. The roster in New England, especially on the offensive side is putrid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

It could be this week for Brandon Staley and Ron Rivera

Yeah, it sure seems like it has gone off of the rails for those two teams. Atleast Washington has Bienemy as interim HC. I love seeing the offseason AFC West annointed champions implode. It will be the same story next year....the Chargers will unseat the Chiefs for sure.