First Coach Fired Thread

SaveOurSonics

I'm going with Rivera. He's just a total dinosaur. Up 24-10 in the 3rd quarter and trying to milk the clock and this has happened more than once in his tenure. We'll probably get blown out by Danny Dimes because he somehow turns into Steve Young when he plays us so maybe that will do it but I still don't see him lasting the season. 

On 10/6/2023 at 11:33 PM, iknowcool said:

Here's a dark-horse...

Frank Reich

This is not the kind of start the organization was expecting which is why we traded up in the first place.  We're looking at an 0-6 start going into a home game against the Texans and CJ Stroud.  The fans are already turning on the team.  If the Panthers lose that game against the QB they passed on and go 0-7 with no 2024 1st round pick? The fans in that stadium (however many there are) will lose their mind.  This is something Tepper cares about and we saw what happened to Rhule last year when the fans began to get vocal with their displeasure.

And Matt Rhule was just the 2nd Panthers coach under Tepper to get fired during the season.  Rivera was the first.  So the precedent is there for Tepper to fire a coach before the end of the year.  

Speaking of Rhule, he signed a contract with Nebraska, offsetting any future money we owed him.  Maybe our owner wouldn't want to pay Rhule, Reich, and a new HC, but that won't be a problem now.

We also have a few guys on the staff who would make sense as an interim HC.  We actually interviewed Jim Caldwell for the HC job.  Did Reich want him on the staff or did Tepper?  Ejiro Evero and Thomas Brown would be two other potential candidates.  

And we're talking about an organization that has been pretty aggressive/impulsive over the years.  We offered 1st round picks for Stafford and Watson.  We traded up for the No. 1 overall pick.  We're already so desperate to win this season that we are trying to trade for a #1 WR as we speak.  This kind of move wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the organization.  

The number one reason to think it won't happen is because Frank Reich is in his first year with the team.  But if any team is willing to fire a HC in his first year on the job, I think it's the Panthers under Tepper.

FWIW I don't think it will happen.  I'm not saying it should happen.  But I wouldn't rule it out and do believe there are reasons to think it could happen.  At the very least I don't think our GM will survive the season if are headed towards the #1 overall pick and my money would be on Reich not surviving either.     

More evidence Reich might not have the longest leash… he’s already handing playcalling duties over to Thomas Brown (former Rams assistant), only 6 weeks into his first year. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/frank-reich-handing-over-panthers-offensive-play-calling-to-oc-thomas-brown

Now to be fair Reich did say at some point he would be willing to pass it off to someone else but I can’t imagine he planned for it to happen 6 games in. 

Edited by iknowcool

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'm going with Rivera. He's just a total dinosaur. Up 24-10 in the 3rd quarter and trying to milk the clock and this has happened more than once in his tenure. We'll probably get blown out by Danny Dimes because he somehow turns into Steve Young when he plays us so maybe that will do it but I still don't see him lasting the season. 

I absolutely think Rivera's time has passed...but you kinda need to lose a lot of games to see it in-season.   Black Monday, I'm pretty sure he's a goner unless the Commies make the playoffs.   New ownership won't waste much time.    In-season, that's harder to call certainly not at 3-3.

The crazy part is that the worst 3 AFC teams have either a new HC who owners are likely to be patient with, esp since the part they're good at is actually OK (Payton, working around Russell Wilson's limitations) & 2 guys how have a TON of security (BB & Vrabel).   The worst NFC teams have a rookie HC the owner just hand-picked to be his lackey (Reich & CAR), a rookie HC ownership supported and where expectations were low to begin with (Gannon & ARI), the recent HCOY with a team that most ppl knew lacked talent and played over their head (Daboll & NYG)...and a 2nd year coach where they likely will be drafting at 1.1 and where ownership is going to want to ensure they have the right people in charge in the event they move on from Justin Fields.

So...give me Matt Eberfleus.   Maybe someone gets into off-field trouble, but given that field, Eberfleus / Getsy seems like the strongest pick.

Edited by Broncofan

I don't see the point of an in-season firing unless the HC is actively hindering the team/culture in a unique way like Urban Meyer or Bobby Petrino. I know Petrino quit on his team instead of being fired but you get the point 

Maybe also if you have interim HC candidate worthy of an extended look. But even then it can end up in disaster and you can waste an additional 1-2 years before doing a hard reset (see Mike Singletary taking over for Mike Nolan in 2008) 

I'd keep all the coaches like Eberflus, Rivera, McDaniels etc through the season & do a clean reset in 2024, but thats just me personally

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't see the point of an in-season firing unless the HC is actively hindering the team/culture in a unique way like Urban Meyer or Bobby Petrino. I know Petrino quit on his team instead of being fired but you get the point 

Maybe also if you have interim HC candidate worthy of an extended look. But even then it can end up in disaster and you can waste an additional 1-2 years before doing a hard reset (see Mike Singletary taking over for Mike Nolan in 2008) 

I'd keep all the coaches like Eberflus, Rivera, McDaniels etc through the season & do a clean reset in 2024, but thats just me personally

Dan Quinn was fired midseason too. He was killing the culture though.

14 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

or Romeo Crennell in 2011 with KC!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

At this point the only coach that should be fired midway through is Bill B and that's just not gonna happen.

I'll take Ron "We could be eliminated today? Huh... I didn't know that." Rivera all day over the rest of these that are mentioned. 

I have never seen someone who presents himself as intelligent or well-informed, say as much completely idiotic things as him. I could literally go on a binge quoting stupid things he has said since taking over. Not to mention that there is no real accountability for the staff. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'll take Ron "We could be eliminated today? Huh... I didn't know that." Rivera all day over the rest of these that are mentioned. 

I have never seen someone who presents himself as intelligent or well-informed, say as much completely idiotic things as him. I could literally go on a binge quoting stupid things he has said since taking over. Not to mention that there is no real accountability for the staff. 

And starting Carson Wentz in their must win game last year was so bad!

• Like 1