First Coach Fired Thread

SaveOurSonics

10 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I'm just not sure what makes the Raiders so appealing. The strength of their team is that Maxx Crosby is a superstar and that they have Davante Adams, who is a disgruntled 30 year old WR. Josh Jacobs is fine, but isn't really going to make a coach say "wow."

The Raiders, from my perspective, need:

QB: A franchise QB
RB: They're fine
WR: A young #1/#2 & young depth
TE: They're fine
LT: Set
LG: Fine
OC: Acceptable
RG: NEED
RT: NEED

DE: Might be ok...I don't like Tyree Wilson though
DT: NEED.
LB: NEED aside from Deablo (I do like the upside of Amari Burney though)
CB: They need a #1. They have a slew of rosterable guys, but nobody that can be trusted to play lockdown coverage. Big fan of Bennett as a prospect though.
S: Moehrig is fine...they need to find him a partner in crime. Wasn't a Christopher Smith fan. Epps might be decent, but isn't "good."

K/P: Elite units.

That's a lot of things they need. And some of those are very tough to come by (QB, WR, OT, CB. DE). DE shouldn't be an issue if Wilson is as good as the Raiders thought he was, but I have serious doubts with him. How has he looked, by the way? I heard he was hurt early.

I think that's probably a fair analysis/breakdown of our positional needs, and I don't disagree that there are plenty of holes. WR is the main one I disagree with because Adams, Meyers & Renfrow is one of the strongest "on paper" WR corps in the league. You can't discount Adams because he might want out.

Problem with this kind of analysis though is that you could probably say the same thing for 80% of rosters in the NFL. There are very, very few complete teams out there. Some teams just have far better coaching to hide the holes in their roster, or have superstar players like Mahomes who make everyone around them seem better than they actually are. For example, if Josh McDaniels was the Chiefs HC and Jimmy Garoppolo was their QB, suddenly that roster might look like it had a ton of holes as well...

Re: Tyree Wilson, he looked incredibly slow in his first 3 games, like he was playing in quicksand. It was a very worrying start to his career, but he had a decent game against the Chargers on Sunday. He's still miles off where you'd expect a 1st round pick to be, but being injured throughout the offseason can't have helped. We'll be in a better place to judge him over the next month or so, to see if he really starts to make some progress. If not, welp.

Edited by Nightmare

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

WR is the main one I disagree with because Adams, Meyers & Renfrow is one of the strongest "on paper" WR corps in the league

I would agree that they look good now. I've never been a Meyers fan, which is due to having never really watched him play the position, even dating back to the draft. He might be a secret stud, in all fairness. To me, he's a "meh" WR2, solid WR3, elite WR4. That's my perception of it, anyways.

Obviously Adams is a legitimate #1. As legit as they come. However, I think the timeline of their WR group doesn't really work with when they're going to have a QB ready to step in. The Raiders are gonna be decent enough to lose out on the top QB's every year. That's why I would just go the nuclear option and rebuild if I were them. They're going to be picking around 5-10 every year, right out of the elite QB range. Suck harder. Get a top 3 pick!

Brandon Staley isnt going to be fired because Spanos doesnt fire a coach unless they bottom out. It will take a 5 or 6 win season. His predecessors had worst finishes in 2015 and 2019 and both were brought back. Unless you havent watched the NFL this seasons the AFC is 3 horse race between Mia, Kc and Buff and bunch of avg chumps. If our defense falls back to being avg we should win 9 wins and thats more than enough for dean to bring staley back. 2024 is when Staley will be fired unless he improves.

33 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Brandon Staley isnt going to be fired because Spanos doesnt fire a coach unless they bottom out. It will take a 5 or 6 win season. His predecessors had worst finishes in 2015 and 2019 and both were brought back. Unless you havent watched the NFL this seasons the AFC is 3 horse race between Mia, Kc and Buff and bunch of avg chumps. If our defense falls back to being avg we should win 9 wins and thats more than enough for dean to bring staley back. 2024 is when Staley will be fired unless he improves.

Imagine have Herbert, Ekler, Allen, finally a respectable OL, Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, decent DBs and Derwin James and being like we're chill with maybe 9 wins. Team should be pushing Mahomes for AFC West. This roster would be the easiest sell to top candidates by a long shot.

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Agreed. Most of the consensus from our forum is that he won't be around next year, but Harris will give him the season to audition and won't do anything rash. He's got plenty else on his plate. 

Yep. & the roster is constructed in a way where it would be unfair to treat him the same as coaches with heightened expectations. 

I personally expect Bienemy to get promoted to HC next year. 

21 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Firing a HC mid season is pointless. Yes some coaches are definitely lame ducks, but that’s not gonna get fixed in midseason. 

It’s done as a gesture to the fans—done to keep them off your back & let them know they’re being heard. It means nothing to an organization. 

I'm gonna disagree. 

It should be used to re-energize the team & get a sense for which guys are serious about sticking with the program. 

Take the Bears for example. I'm of the opinion there is plenty of talent on that team that is simply being wasted by terrible coaching (how is this the first week Khalil Herbert gets a decent workload?). In this case, I think firing Eberflus & getting some new methodology in the building would be incredibly helpful to assess which of your players are actually worth keeping. 

You keep Eberflus on board & you're pretty much saying we don't care to give Justin Fields a fair chance to prove himself. 

There are a few other people who could be on this list.

Brian Daboll Giants-He raised expectations got his QB signed and isn't producing
Sean Payton Boncos- When you call out the previous coach you're supposed to win games. He barely beat the other worst team
Mike Vrabel Titans- He's 500 so probably okay but owners want more than a 500 club year in and out.
Bill Belichick Pats- He would seem bullet proof but don't count on it. Its a what have you done since Tom is gone situation.

Ron Rivera is the safest on the list. 500 with a rookie QB who's playing very well I don't think his seat is even warm. Unless they lose 7 straight. Then it gets hot again. 

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

Imagine have Herbert, Ekler, Allen, finally a respectable OL, Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, decent DBs and Derwin James and being like we're chill with maybe 9 wins. Team should be pushing Mahomes for AFC West. This roster would be the easiest sell to top candidates by a long shot.

Our roster is a little top heavy and lacks depth which is another issue. We have G.M who's been here since 2013 and hasn't won the division and is constantly drafting injury prone players. Bosa and Ekler look checked out imo because every other week Austin is social media posting cryptic things and Derwin's body can not handle the beating he puts it thru week in and week out. Some fans are hoping the Jim Harbaugh rumors are true but I think it's a long shot and I'd rather enjoy my team making the playoffs even if it's a long odds to win a SB then pray the same Ownership gets it's act together for the first time ever. 

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm gonna disagree. 

It should be used to re-energize the team & get a sense for which guys are serious about sticking with the program. 

Take the Bears for example. I'm of the opinion there is plenty of talent on that team that is simply being wasted by terrible coaching (how is this the first week Khalil Herbert gets a decent workload?). In this case, I think firing Eberflus & getting some new methodology in the building would be incredibly helpful to assess which of your players are actually worth keeping. 

You keep Eberflus on board & you're pretty much saying we don't care to give Justin Fields a fair chance to prove himself. 

I would bet Poles has dreams of Caleb Williams throwing the ball to Marvin Harrison Jr. next season which is why he would likely stick with the tank commander Eberflus longer than expected. To your point, keeping Eberflus also means your not serious about developing your current talent to win and are basically admitting to being okay with wrecking Fields to get your hands on Williams/Harrison who you might just turn around and wreck again.

Each loss it will be a tougher and tougher sell to the locker room about why he is still there.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Robert Saleh?  How about no, Matt Eberflus could be a total yes, same with Brandon Staley who goes for it on 4th down in odd situations so often, almost no way he is still around after the end of the year unless they win big time and not sure that happens.

Kevin O'Connell?  Almost no way that happens unless the GM is fired as well and that would be just too early for both.  

On 10/2/2023 at 5:42 PM, ET80 said:

I think Matt Eberflus is out in the next two weeks. That team is basically in mutiny right now...

I'd be shocked if he was fired. If anything Warren would refuse and let Poles know (if he is going to be kept) that he cannot make any changes until the tank is done, and then Poles WILL fire Flubby immediately after the last game. Picks 1.1 and another top 5 picks and the ability to open up to $130+ mil in cap space make it a top option for a HC (or HC/GM combo) unless LAC opens up - because Herbert is a hell of a perk for any coach to get to walk into a franchise with. 

Another issue is who would step up? Getsy is too incompetent to utilize the offense's skillset, the DC isn't even with the team anymore, the ST coach is only in his 2nd season of not being an assistant, etc. There is no one to turn to, the rudder is broken so I say let this SOB hit the iceberg.