First Coach Fired Thread

SaveOurSonics

If the Raiders fire Josh McDaniels who do they promote lol
The Raiders are a fire after the season bet because there is literally no one to take over. Like what are you going to do have Patrick Graham as interim? He deserves to be fired too. Rob Ryan, it's the wrong brother?  A couple of Lombardi's and a Turner heir? Kennedy Polamalu is the only good coach, but you don't typically see a lifelong RB coach become interim. ST Coordinator again? I dunno.

Chargers and Commanders at least have potential HC candidates like Kellen Moore and Eric Bienemy. Those make sense to can because you might have a real candidate to replace on staff and ready to lead.

Bears might as well ride a bad performance to a top pick.

Vikings having made playoffs last year and being in games this year, and the Jets losing Aaron Rodgers should buy a mulligan I'd think.

Edited by Trojan

15 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Personally, I'd be pretty surprised to see Rivera, O'Connell, or Saleh canned in-season.

Agreed. Most of the consensus from our forum is that he won't be around next year, but Harris will give him the season to audition and won't do anything rash. He's got plenty else on his plate. 

14 hours ago, Duluther said:

This was my first thought. Any Raiders fans with more substantial thoughts?

Edit: ^ Big_Palooka

Yeah, what BP posted.

The Raiders have made a fortune since moving to Vegas. They’re by no means one of the richer teams in NFL terms, but it’s madness to think they couldn’t afford to throw a few million $ at paying off McDaniels.

Edited by Nightmare

If I were a coaching candidate, the Raiders would be the last job I'd want. There's not a lot of talent on that roster. They don't have a QB, they don't have a good young nucleus, and their best players are moving past their prime. Their best players' windows are RIGHT NOW. The only problem is the rest of the team is in shambles. They're stuck between a rebuild and pushing for playoffs. They need to go through a full-scale rebuild, but with some of the elite guys they have, I wonder if they'd be receptive to that. I doubt Crosby, Jacobs, and Davante Adams are willing to be patient.

I hated their draft class (sans Mayer & Bennett) and I think they have massive holes across almost every position on that roster. It's a mess. McDaniels hasn't been a great coach, but I don't think firing him solves the problem. The Raiders future is bleak, IMO. With a great GM, things can change quickly. I just hate what they've done with their resources over the last two years.

37 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

If I were a coaching candidate, the Raiders would be the last job I'd want. There's not a lot of talent on that roster. They don't have a QB, they don't have a good young nucleus, and their best players are moving past their prime. Their best players' windows are RIGHT NOW. The only problem is the rest of the team is in shambles. They're stuck between a rebuild and pushing for playoffs. They need to go through a full-scale rebuild, but with some of the elite guys they have, I wonder if they'd be receptive to that. I doubt Crosby, Jacobs, and Davante Adams are willing to be patient.

I hated their draft class (sans Mayer & Bennett) and I think they have massive holes across almost every position on that roster. It's a mess. McDaniels hasn't been a great coach, but I don't think firing him solves the problem. The Raiders future is bleak, IMO. With a great GM, things can change quickly. I just hate what they've done with their resources over the last two years.

Adams absolutely will not stick around for a rebuild. I think Crosby would, he seems very... Raider-ish. Jacbos strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't really care who he's playing for as long as he's getting well paid for it.

QB and the DL are the big issues. Plug those gaps (easier said than done) and it's suddenly the roster looks a whole lot better. So if we're in a position to draft one of the top QB prospects coming out this year, I think the HC job is actually very appealing.

Edited by Nightmare

Don't follow the Vikings, but I'm a bit confused why Kevin O'Connell is fourth at all, let alone ahead of guys like Staley. Even if their record last year was a mirage, they still were a 13-4 team after finishing the last two years with losing records, and it seems a bit reactive for him to be on the hot seat after a 1-3 when his team has been competitive in every game including against the defending NFC champions. If the team ends up 3-14 or worse, him getting fired at the end of the year wouldn't be too surprising, though I think they'd give him another year, but I would be very surprised to see him let go mid-season

Edited by jonnguy2015

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Adams absolutely will not stick around for a rebuild. I think Crosby would, he seems very... Raider-ish. Jacbos strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't really care who he's playing for as long as he's getting well paid for it.

QB and the DL are the big issues. Plug those gaps (easier said than done) and it's suddenly the roster looks a whole lot better. So if we're in a position to draft one of the top QB prospects coming out this year, I think the HC job is actually very appealing.

I'm just not sure what makes the Raiders so appealing. The strength of their team is that Maxx Crosby is a superstar and that they have Davante Adams, who is a disgruntled 30 year old WR. Josh Jacobs is fine, but isn't really going to make a coach say "wow."

The Raiders, from my perspective, need:

QB: A franchise QB
RB: They're fine
WR: A young #1/#2 & young depth
TE: They're fine
LT: Set
LG: Fine
OC: Acceptable
RG: NEED
RT: NEED

DE: Might be ok...I don't like Tyree Wilson though
DT: NEED.
LB: NEED aside from Deablo (I do like the upside of Amari Burney though)
CB: They need a #1. They have a slew of rosterable guys, but nobody that can be trusted to play lockdown coverage. Big fan of Bennett as a prospect though.
S: Moehrig is fine...they need to find him a partner in crime. Wasn't a Christopher Smith fan. Epps might be decent, but isn't "good."

K/P: Elite units.

That's a lot of things they need. And some of those are very tough to come by (QB, WR, OT, CB. DE). DE shouldn't be an issue if Wilson is as good as the Raiders thought he was, but I have serious doubts with him. How has he looked, by the way? I heard he was hurt early.