First Coach Fired Thread

SaveOurSonics

15 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

That whole staff is getting cleaned out. New GM new HC

I think with the respect Rivera has in league circles and basically living out the end of the Snyder era, he gets the entire season to play out.  No way would Harris fire Rivera without cause at this juncture.  

As for the GM, Rivera is the GM basically and assembled the whole front office with his guys who have PantherSkins connections.  Harris would be smart to reassemble the whole thing top to bottom.  

• Like 1

I think if there is ever a time to make a move with the staff it's now for Washington. That was the worst showing since Ron has been here. His team's constantly come out flat in prime time games. He is ultimately responsible for his staff and player performances. Yesterday should be the final straw. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think if there is ever a time to make a move with the staff it's now for Washington. That was the worst showing since Ron has been here. His team's constantly come out flat in prime time games. He is ultimately responsible for his staff and player performances. Yesterday should be the final straw. 

Yeah, Riverboat Ron is very high on the list - they have an interim guy who can turn out to be a permanent fixture with Eric Bienemey, so no real reason to delay the inevitable.

Make the move now... and hopefully Eric proves himself quickly while galvanizing the team. It's too talented of a unit to underperform like this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, Riverboat Ron is very high on the list - they have an interim guy who can turn out to be a permanent fixture with Eric Bienemey, so no real reason to delay the inevitable.

Make the move now... and hopefully Eric proves himself quickly while galvanizing the team. It's too talented of a unit to underperform like this.

I personally agree, but I just don’t see it happening.  Rivera garnered himself a lot of goodwill putting up with Snyder, and it will at least by paid back by letting him last the season.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I personally agree, but I just don’t see it happening.  Rivera garnered himself a lot of goodwill putting up with Snyder, and it will at least by paid back by letting him last the season.  

Goodwill with... who?

I agree there are league circles that thank him for keeping that Snyder mess at bay. That secures he won't be unemployed for long, not necessarily he's given a full season with THIS team. He's definitely got a job lined up with the league office after his WFT tenure and - if I'm Rivera - I'm probably wanting that golden parachute from the new owners and get ahead on getting into that league gig.

Magic Johnson's tweet was pretty scathing, several people were put on notice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Goodwill with... who?

I agree there are league circles that thank him for keeping that Snyder mess at bay. That secures he won't be unemployed for long, not necessarily he's given a full season with THIS team. He's definitely got a job lined up with the league office after his WFT tenure and - if I'm Rivera - I'm probably wanting that golden parachute from the new owners and get ahead on getting into that league gig.

Magic Johnson's tweet was pretty scathing, several people were put on notice.

Magic has influence but he’s got an extremely small share of the pot.  

I don’t think Harris, being the brand new guy, is going to want to rock the boat with the league and other owners booting out a guy who fronted the end of Snyder’s tenure.  I am sure that they wanted Snyder out, that was a given.  They also had to navigate the possibility that Bezos could outbid everyone.  Harris has some skeptics in ownership circles given how he operated the 76ers with tanking, but those owners probably just wanted Snyder out more.  There’s some politicking at play, I just think that Harris just lets Rivera play it out as he continues to let people evaluate how the rest of the organization is operating.  

Honestly, I have posted this for a long time in our team forum, but this team needs a front office tear down in the worst way, similar to what Mike Elias has done with the Baltimore Orioles.  Like the Orioles before Elias, there are a lot of people around this team whose biggest claims to their jobs are “Former Redskin” or somehow related to the old glory days of this team.  It’s time for those guys to move on to something else, and competent football people brought in to assume those jobs.  It’s going to take more than a year for that to happen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

It still boggles my mind that McDaniels was hired as a head coach again to begin with.

It was an almost-unanimously derided decision by fans across the league, Raiders fans included.

But for some reason, the media lapped it up. All the talking heads, all the “GM sources” thinking it was a great decision and that he was a top candidate who deserved another chance. Very weird stuff.

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think with the respect Rivera has in league circles and basically living out the end of the Snyder era, he gets the entire season to play out.  No way would Harris fire Rivera without cause at this juncture.  

As for the GM, Rivera is the GM basically and assembled the whole front office with his guys who have PantherSkins connections.  Harris would be smart to reassemble the whole thing top to bottom.  

How he was able to get absolute power after the disaster of the end of his panthers tenure is crazy 😂

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This + I think Washington truly views this as a pretty lame duck season. New management just took over. They didn't have any time to structure this team they way they would've wanted to. 

Let Rivera finish out what is essentially the Snyder era & bring in new team name, new uniforms, new coach, and new QB next season. Deep rinse. 

I think Rivera needs to hang it up. Guy just looks checked out at this point, like he wishes it was Week 18 already. He implied in his interview that he didn't say much if at all to the team when they were down 27-3 at halftime, just letting the players discuss it with each other. That tells me he's lost his passion, or his locker room, or both.

Even if he's just a lame duck who will be gone in January, it's not a good look.

Here's a dark-horse...

Frank Reich

This is not the kind of start the organization was expecting which is why we traded up in the first place.  We're looking at an 0-6 start going into a home game against the Texans and CJ Stroud.  The fans are already turning on the team.  If the Panthers lose that game against the QB they passed on and go 0-7 with no 2024 1st round pick? The fans in that stadium (however many there are) will lose their mind.  This is something Tepper cares about and we saw what happened to Rhule last year when the fans began to get vocal with their displeasure.

And Matt Rhule was just the 2nd Panthers coach under Tepper to get fired during the season.  Rivera was the first.  So the precedent is there for Tepper to fire a coach before the end of the year.  

Speaking of Rhule, he signed a contract with Nebraska, offsetting any future money we owed him.  Maybe our owner wouldn't want to pay Rhule, Reich, and a new HC, but that won't be a problem now.

We also have a few guys on the staff who would make sense as an interim HC.  We actually interviewed Jim Caldwell for the HC job.  Did Reich want him on the staff or did Tepper?  Ejiro Evero and Thomas Brown would be two other potential candidates.  

And we're talking about an organization that has been pretty aggressive/impulsive over the years.  We offered 1st round picks for Stafford and Watson.  We traded up for the No. 1 overall pick.  We're already so desperate to win this season that we are trying to trade for a #1 WR as we speak.  This kind of move wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the organization.  

The number one reason to think it won't happen is because Frank Reich is in his first year with the team.  But if any team is willing to fire a HC in his first year on the job, I think it's the Panthers under Tepper.

FWIW I don't think it will happen.  I'm not saying it should happen.  But I wouldn't rule it out and do believe there are reasons to think it could happen.  At the very least I don't think our GM will survive the season if are headed towards the #1 overall pick and my money would be on Reich not surviving either.     

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Here's a dark-horse...

Frank Reich

This is not the kind of start the organization was expecting which is why we traded up in the first place.  We're looking at an 0-6 start going into a home game against the Texans and CJ Stroud.  The fans are already turning on the team.  If the Panthers lose that game against the QB they passed on and go 0-7 with no 2024 1st round pick? The fans in that stadium (however many there are) will lose their mind.  This is something Tepper cares about and we saw what happened to Rhule last year when the fans began to get vocal with their displeasure.

And Matt Rhule was just the 2nd Panthers coach under Tepper to get fired during the season.  Rivera was the first.  So the precedent is there for Tepper to fire a coach before the end of the year.  

Speaking of Rhule, he signed a contract with Nebraska, offsetting any future money we owed him.  Maybe our owner wouldn't want to pay Rhule, Reich, and a new HC, but that won't be a problem now.

We also have a few guys on the staff who would make sense as an interim HC.  We actually interviewed Jim Caldwell for the HC job.  Did Reich want him on the staff or did Tepper?  Ejiro Evero and Thomas Brown would be two other potential candidates.  

And we're talking about an organization that has been pretty aggressive/impulsive over the years.  We offered 1st round picks for Stafford and Watson.  We traded up for the No. 1 overall pick.  We're already so desperate to win this season that we are trying to trade for a #1 WR as we speak.  This kind of move wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the organization.  

The number one reason to think it won't happen is because Frank Reich is in his first year with the team.  But if any team is willing to fire a HC in his first year on the job, I think it's the Panthers under Tepper.

FWIW I don't think it will happen.  I'm not saying it should happen.  But I wouldn't rule it out and do believe there are reasons to think it could happen.  At the very least I don't think our GM will survive the season if are headed towards the #1 overall pick and my money would be on Reich not surviving either.     

Honestly the DC should be the coach