Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

1 thing I wanted to mention was it seemed like the Bryce Young talk was split into 2 camps:

1. You think he is good and therefore will be a franchise QB

or

2. He is simply too small to be an effective long-term answer at QB

It seemed like there was almost no one that considered that maybe he is big enough to hold up but might not actually be this elite level prospect he was billed as assuming he was 6'4''

Panthers fan here.  I wanted CJ Stroud and so I’m disappointed the front office picked Bryce instead. That being said, I’m still a long term Bryce believer. I don’t think he necessarily has elite QB potential, but I do think he can be a good QB in the league. He just needs time to adjust. 

Right now, the Panthers have a bunch of deficiencies that cascade and feed back into one another. The offensive line is missing their two starting OGs. Their replacements have performed very poorly. And juggling personnel on the line adversely affects the remaining starters because they don’t have the same trust and practiced communication with replacements. Without that continuity, the offensive line has been poor in both pass pro and run blocking. Frank Reich has been too conservative in early downs and has called too many run plays on 1st down that consistently fail due to predictability and lack of execution by the line. This means lots of long yardage to gain pass plays for Bryce. But the line hasn’t consistently given him time. And then the WRs on the roster outside of Thielen have struggled to consistently separate. So Bryce has nowhere to go with the ball before the pass rush gets to him.  Given the struggles in the run game, Reich has called a lot of screen passes to try to replace some of the running. And Reich has not opened up the playbook much for Bryce to throw downfield. Whether this lack of trust is warranted or not is up for debate (I don’t agree that it is). All of this adds up to an offense that is easy for defenses to game plan for. The defense can crowd the line of scrimmage with little care for defending deeper portions of the field. 

Bryce has not been blameless in all this. There have been missed reads. There have been poor decisions. He has been tricked by disguised coverage looks pre and post snap. He has not protected the football. But he’s a rookie who is adjusting to NFL defenses and game speed. He’s still figuring out what “NFL open” looks like and what windows his arm will allow him to fit the ball into. I think he has enough arm strength to succeed in the league even if he doesn’t have a cannon, but currently he’s not trusting it because he’s thrown some interceptions and he’s hesitant to fully test what he can and can’t do. He’s got to keep making mistakes to learn and grow what is and isn’t open for him.  But he’s doing all this in a terrible offensive environment—a poor line and middling WRs combined with offensive scheme and playcalling that mean he’s playing in “hard mode.” And there are signs he’s improving. He had two bad interceptions against Detroit, but when the Panthers started to call plays further down field, and the offensive line held up in pass pro, he showed some nice ability to work the middle intermediate portion of the field. He’s had some throws where he demonstrated great anticipation. He’s also shown some of the improv scramble, keep his eyes up, and find the open WR ability that helped make him the first overall pick. 

It’s simply too early to tell if he’ll get things figured out. But for those of us who have watched every snap, it should be clear that he isn’t the biggest problem on Carolina’s roster. And don’t let any Panthers fans tel you he is—that portion of our fan base knows little about football and will complain about anything. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fraziafraze07 said:

Panthers fan here.  I wanted CJ Stroud and so I’m disappointed the front office picked Bryce instead. That being said, I’m still a long term Bryce believer. I don’t think he necessarily has elite QB potential, but I do think he can be a good QB in the league. He just needs time to adjust. 

It may not have been the FO's choice.....

On 10/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

It has to hurt. The Bears are loving this.

Maybe some encouraging signs from Bryce in garbage time today?

I love it purely out of selfish reasons. That being said if not for the pick I wouldn't want to see CAR have this kind of season. I genuinely like Young, Reich, Thielen (now tht he is out of the NFCN), Houston, Brown, and a handful of others. 

CAR is where the Bears were last year but with a better HC and playcaller, a QB in his rookie year (so 4 years with 5th year option and then franchise years potentially) and I feel pretty good that they'll get it turned around. 

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

1 thing I wanted to mention was it seemed like the Bryce Young talk was split into 2 camps:

1. You think he is good and therefore will be a franchise QB

or

2. He is simply too small to be an effective long-term answer at QB

It seemed like there was almost no one that considered that maybe he is big enough to hold up but might not actually be this elite level prospect he was billed as assuming he was 6'4''

Can we add he's 5'9-ish and while he might forever actually suck as a passer, he's guaranteed a handful of 15 yard roughing penalties per game by virtue of nobody being capable of not rag dolling him?

That was some of the most hideous crap I've seen in ages. Twice in crucial spots, the Lions got penalized for touching the guy- touches that would have been perfectly legal if his size was appropriately correspondent with the rules as written. The guy is literally too small for the rulebook to account for. 

But, hey, it led to 2 scores against the Lions at the end, so it's worth something. Get a decent defense and marginally decent run game, Panthers are still set in that case. 

Edited by ronjon1990

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Can we add he's 5'9-ish and while he might forever actually suck as a passer, he's guaranteed a handful of 15 yard roughing penalties per game by virtue of nobody being capable of not rag dolling him?

That was some of the most hideous crap I've seen in ages. Twice in crucial spots, the Lions got penalized for touching the guy- touches that would have been perfectly legal if his size was appropriately correspondent with the rules as written. The guy is literally too small for the rulebook to account for. 

But, hey, it led to 2 scores against the Lions at the end, so it's worth something. Get a decent defense and marginally decent run game, Panthers are still set in that case. 

5'9" is probably being generous.