Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

Just watched highlights from the game. It's insane how tiny Young looks compared to everyone else.

I thought he was extremely overrated as a prospect and thought CJ should have went #1, but I didn't expect him to be this bad. Then again, doesn't seem like Carolina is doing him many favors. Still plenty of time for him to turn things around, but I wouldn't be hopeful if I'm a Carolina fan.

Tepper might be the worst owner in the league at this point.

They aren't, but when you're saddled with a junior high school sized QB, there's not much you can do at this level. 

It worked at Alabama because they stockpiled 4/5* guys around him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Panthers nations stand the hell up. We got the best tank commander in the game. He will make sure all hope is crushed! 

Time to play the game. 

Quinn Ewers is t exactly a franchise changing/inspiring prospect

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Bryce was supposed to be more pro-ready. More high-floor low-ceiling than Stroud. There was some absolute bunk about Stroud's testing and mental ability. There had NEVER been a good NFL QB out of Ohio State despite having illustrious college careers. There were a ton of supposed red flags that probably wouldn't have held up under a closer look and have proven to be bunk in the past year.

Probably more relevant for fantasy, but the Texans also looked really, really bad after 2021. The whole Jack Easterby saga was an incredibly interesting bit of history that will probably never come fully into public scrutiny. Believe it or not, going to Carolina felt like a better situation for a young QB even without a 2024 1st rounder.

At least that's what I say when people ask why I drafted Young over Stroud in dynasty. 🤡

*A lot of people were higher on Anthony Richardson than either Stroud or Young as well. If Hendon Hooker hadn't been injured you gotta wonder where he would have been taken too!

If there is one thing I’ve learned as a Washington fan………someone has the full story, and they can’t wait to leak it.  When you least expect it, we will wake up to a huge story from a prominent league writer exposing a large chunk of that stuff.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

The Panthers supposedly took huge strides to help Bryce, made key additions on offense, paired him up with a QB whisperer coach... it's only week one so we need to give him a little more time - but at some point, his play is going to be on him, not his situation.

I feel like offense was at a low point this week, and starters are playing even less in the pre-season, so I don’t think we can take much away from Week 1 right now.  We will definitely have more command of where Young is by the middle of October. 

The 2 things that worry me about Young watching yesterday’s game: 

1.   He couldn’t read pressure any better than last year.    

2.   He was still eyes down when he started to scramble.    It’s directly related to #1. 

The problem with 1 & 2 is that it renders his mobility as toothless.   The ability to move the pocket or have him be mobile only works if you have those 2 traits.    

Don’t get me wrong yesterday is not all on him.    And road game indoors can really accentuate the problems an O and young QB has.   But the lack of progress in those 2 areas is still notable.    For all his flaws Kyler Murray could make magic happen outside of the pocket (yesterdays wind & no-PS rust bad combo in BUF notwithstanding).   Bryce doesn’t have even a fraction of that ability.  

Canales’ recent body of work with Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield says if there’s a path to making Bryce functional he’ll find it.   And Year 2 week 1 still too soon to call this case closed.  

But the path still looks long.   Thats hard to dispute at this stage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I feel like offense was at a low point this week, and starters are playing even less in the pre-season, so I don’t think we can take much away from Week 1 right now.  We will definitely have more command of where Young is by the middle of October. 

I was willing to give Bryce the benefit of the doubt as much as the next person, but when you know, you know.  I don't expect anything to change between now and December, much less October.

One of the biggest problems with Bryce is how inaccurate he is.  I totally whiffed on that when I was watching him at Alabama, I didn't think that would be something he struggled with.  But he can't throw deep and misses throws at every level.  That alone caps his ability to be a high-level QB, not to mention all the other issues he needs corrected.

He also sucks at throwing on the run, which is supposed to be one of his best traits.  He had opportunities to make plays on the outside yesterday, but his throws would just wobble in the air out of bounds.  

It was the same deal with Zach Wilson (a fear I expressed last year, but again was willing to give Bryce leeway because of how bad the team around him was).  I knew by Week 3 or 4 of Wilson's rookie year that he sucked, and this is coming from someone who liked Zach as a prospect.  Sometimes you just know, and we have reached that point with Bryce.  We have scored 18 or fewer points in 11 of Bryce's last 12 starts.  And that 18 was just in one game; in the 10 others, we scored 15 or less, including 2 shut-outs.  

Bryce has TWO passing touchdowns in his last EIGHT starts... and both those TDs came in the flukiest of fluke games against the Joe Woods coached Packers.  In 10 of his last 11, he's thrown for fewer than 200 yards.  It isn't all on him, but he is on a run of terribleness that even my blinders can't push me to defend him any longer.

This Panthers team has a very real chance of going winless if he remains the QB.  Keep in mind the 2 games we won last year, we scored 15 and 9 points.  This defense is WAY worse than the defense last year, no way we win games with those totals this year.

Then again, we do play the Giants.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, DawgX said:

Just watched highlights from the game. It's insane how tiny Young looks compared to everyone else.

I thought he was extremely overrated as a prospect and thought CJ should have went #1, but I didn't expect him to be this bad. Then again, doesn't seem like Carolina is doing him many favors. Still plenty of time for him to turn things around, but I wouldn't be hopeful if I'm a Carolina fan.

Tepper might be the worst owner in the league at this point.

Yeah for years everyone talked about Russell Wilson being undersized. Idk if it’s because he is thicker and bulkier, but he looks totally normal to me watching on tv compared to his peers. Bryce Young looks like a child out there

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

Has he even really showed any glimpses or anything? Even Daniel Jones has had his moments. Enough to trick the Giants into paying him. I don’t think Young has shown anything 

He had his moments against us last year. Let the kid play it out and see what you have at the end of the season. I mean we usually give QBs a 3 year window, right?