Bears getting Sweaty (Trading for Montez Sweat from Commanders)

The Gnat

Just now, adamq said:

Is he really a "premier pass rusher" as the PR release says? Who could they have gotten for less compensation? Why are they letting a guy who is probably getting fired make these decisions? Those are my questions SIR

Ya I'd say he is. I don't know who they could've gotten, but they wouldn't be as impactful. That I can't answer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Why did Washington spend high picks on D-Lineman every year if they were going to let them go because they didn't want to put all their cap into the D-Line? Allen, Sweat, Payne, and Young were all drafted within 2-3 years of each other!

This is a great ROI though and their DL can still be very good even without Sweat.

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Show me the money + 25%!
"Nah, here's your franchise tag. Now lets go win these 3 or 4 games. Bear Down!"

Chicago then trades him to Philly for a 4th round pick a year from now.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, malak1 said:

It should've been Chase Young. Dammit. 

That's who I was hoping for too.  I don't mind the trade for Sweat though.  He is probably about as good as any other pass rusher we could have gotten in the top of the 2nd round, PLUS he is a known commodity.  It's easy to say that we should have just drafted someone, but you can always end with a bust when you do that, or the guy can take 2-3 years to get up to speed. 

Edited by SodeeWater_Cheezburger

33 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is a great ROI though and their DL can still be very good even without Sweat.

From the 26th pick and a 5 year rental, 35.5 sacks, 9 FFs and 1 sweet INT TD against Dallas for a (potentially) early 2nd in next year's draft is a good deal to me. 

• Like 2

People dont get this move but I do. Now if Sweat dont get a long term deal then yeah its a bad move. Assuming he gets that long term deal then the Bears added a really good piece on defense. They then can go in the draft get their future QB in Caleb (although I still believe in Fields), use their other 1st round pick to get another playmaker in Harrison Jr. then in FA continue to add to the defense and get OL help. 

I look at the Bears move like I looked at the Rams in 2019 trading for Ramsey. Ramsey made his first start when the Rams were on a 3 game losing streak. The Rams went 9-7 that year and missed the playoffs. But it was a long term deal for the Rams. Even had Dieon Sanders at the time saying Ramsey wasnt going to sign a long term deal with the Rams. He ended up signing to stay with the Rams for the next few seasons and the next year 2020 the Rams had the top defense in the league went to the Divisional Round of the playoffs and then the following year in 2021 the Rams won the Superbowl.

So I see what the Bears are doing. Bad team this year but long term IF Sweat signs to stay long term it can work out for them to be a really good team in the NFC but in particular in the NFCN bc they have two potential high 1st round picks and cap space this offseason to fix their issues. I could even see them moving off their coach if they can land Caleb maybe they go get Lincoln Riley or Jim Harbaugh. 

If you can't resign him, it's uber stupid.

If they can, it isn't bad.   Most of time to get a pass rusher of Sweats caliber or better it takes a top 10 pick.   It is a hard to find position.  They don't really hit free market often unless they are broken, flawed or old.   

You have elite playmakers in top 10 of this draft like Harrison Jr. and Brock Bowers.   You would like to be able to nab one of them.

The preseason hope was Fields would ball out, Carolina would suck and you could trade #1 or 2 for a kings ransom.   Looking at moment like that isn't going to happen (the Fields part). 

You still have two likely high first rounders.  Now you may have to spend one on QB.  You desperately needed a DE.  Now you don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

If Washington traded Sweat, I wonder if that means Chase Young is now off the trade table?

Given what the 49ers gave up, the Bears should of asked this question before trading for Sweat! Poles is an idiot!

Edited by Nabbs4u

37 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Given what the 49ers gave up, the Bears should of asked this question before trading for Sweat! Poles is an idiot!

Sounds like the Commanders were intent on trading Chase Young for a 3rd and simply received an offer on Sweat they couldn't refuse. 

It's hard to say that's a bad move & then turn around and criticize the Bears for acquiring Sweat. I'd say the Bears are closer to being a contender than Washington is (for the simple reason that they'll be in better position to draft a franchise QB this year).