2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

7 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Legette was a guy I wanted the Titans to avoid prior to the Ridley signing but now I actually think he’s a perfect fit behind Ridley and DHop.  Would get to learn behind two of the better technicians when it comes to route running, provide an explosive element to our offense and wouldn’t be relied on as much as if we hadn’t signed Ridley. Plus if everything goes well, could be the DHop replacement in a year or two.

Yeah Leggett is going to be a good piece for a WR room. He's not quite in tier 2 for me, but he's now become underrated. He is raw and older for a prospect. He gives me Brandon Aiyuk vibes...if Aiyuk was an unpolished route runner. I know that's one of Aiyuk's better attributes, but routes can be developed. And Leggett's routes did improve mightily over his time in college. I think we're being too harsh on him and, IMO, he ends up being a reliable #2 capable of some gamebreaking plays. And he has every ability to develop into a #1 with some seasoning and development.

I don't know why people hate him so much aside from the age thing?

47 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

What's not to like with Legette though?

He's kinda weird, but he's fast and explosive athletically, he's a beast on contested catches.  He's got strong hands.  He's honestly got a little Deebo to him imo.

I'm just not all that impressed with what he did as sometimes a much older player than the guys he was going up against, and it wasn't against good defenses either. I just don't see anything all that special in his game to be mocked in the late 1st or 2nd round in a draft that has so many other WRs with better profiles 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I've seen some non NFL athletes keep up with MHJ just fine on vertical routes. He rarely dusts defenders with his long speed on film. Those examples are few and far between.

Marvin Harrison was one of 3 players in college football last season to hit 22+ MPH on more than one occasion and also hit 21+ MPH on 3 occasions last season. Nabers did 0 times, the OSU WR's (Olave and Wilson mentioned below) have never hit 22 MPH on a play in college or in the NFL.

The thing is, when he's covered, it doesn't matter because he Mosses the dude anyways.

I do agree that in these moments his freakish athleticism does come into play with his ability to out jump players to win in most jump ball situations. 

Or snaps their ankles out from under them with his routes, which forces them to break and allows him to get up the field for a big play. He's definitely a superstar, but as a guy who is just going to run past you all day long? I don't see it and I haven't seen it. And I live in OSU country & have watched almost every single one of their games.

Olave was a significantly better pure speed player. Wilson too. If we are saying MHJ is an elite athlete, those guys must be uber athletes. Again, MHJ is better than those two guys IMO, but I sincerely doubt he's faster. I hope he does run at the pro day, because I'm very interested to see what his 40 looks like.

Olave is in my opinion the smoothest and most nuanced route runner of the mentioned OSU WR's. Wilson was undoubtedly the quickest (most similar to Nabers) and most dangerous after the catch. I disagree that Olave and Wilson were "better speed players". Purely talking top end speed, Harrison is the fastest of the 3 players. It seems people are mistaking getting open with quality moves/routes vs just comparing pure speed. These a much different things.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Probably Pearsall. McConkey might as well be.....darker....given how well he moves.

McConkey smoother with the routes, but Pearsall got better hands and maybe the better yac.

21 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

McConkey smoother with the routes, but Pearsall got better hands and maybe the better yac.

Valid. McConkey is arguably the most fluid mover in the class. He never loses any momentum when running and snapping his routes. Guys like Nabers are quicker than hell and run fast as hell in a straight line, but he's herky-jerky. Ladd is just bizarrely under control at all times. Ladd reminds me of JSN in that regard. JSN was a little shiftier after the catch, but otherwise, very similar to me as prospects. I think Ladd has more inside/outside versatility though.

Posted (edited)

What are your thoughts on Jermaine Burton. Steve Palazzolo from PFF really likes him and was pontificating about him on their latest WR episode...Burton was his WR #4. Are his character concerns big enough of an issue to take him off of some draft boards?

FYI Sam Monson had Troy Franklin as his WR #4.

Neither were very high on Brian Thomas Jr.

Edited by nicfre2011

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Who deserves the Cooper Kupp comp more? McConkey or Pearsall?

Why compare those two particular players to Cupp? What are you trying to get at? 🕵️♂️

-@cancelcultureTayne

Edited by NudeTayne

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't know why people hate him so much aside from the age thing?

For a guy who has those tools, it took him a loooong time to do what skinny little Worthy did as a freshman--at Texas. 

I think his athletic ability gives him a floor, but I don't know what his ceiling is. He might wind up being a really impressive looking WR4 for someone. 

7 hours ago, adamq said:

I'm just not all that impressed with what he did as sometimes a much older player than the guys he was going up against, and it wasn't against good defenses either. I just don't see anything all that special in his game to be mocked in the late 1st or 2nd round in a draft that has so many other WRs with better profiles 

I kind of throw out the age thing with with Legette tbh.  Yes, he's technically "older" but it's not like he's one of these Van Wilder guys who has just been in college forever and finally started to "win" because of experience.  He's still very much on the raw side as a receiver.

I see some really intriguing athletic tools and some pretty good instincts for the position, that just need a lot more refinement and polish.

He's not quite firmly in that "2nd tier" for me.  The ThomasJr/Mitchell/Coleman group.  But i think he's got enough upside to land right in the mix with the other "promising but with some deep flaws" sort of crowd that tacks on somewhere after those guys as late 1st/2nd Rounder types.  McConkey is the only one in that group that i'd really say is more of a "finished product" without a particular potentially fatal flaw...but he's the guy where i'd be inclined to worry about how "old" he is in football experience terms.  Though he tested out a lot more athletic than i expected, he's very much the sort of guy where he wins on "experience" and "polish" with his route running detail.  How that translates as a "calling card" to the next level where everyone gets so much better and closes the gap on that, is a bigger question than Legette's "age" to me.  I think he's still going to be a menace with that as a Pro, but it's the sort of advantage that is going to shrink to some degree.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

What are your thoughts on Jermaine Burton. Steve Palazzolo from PFF really likes him and was pontificating about him on their latest WR episode...Burton was his WR #4. Are his character concerns big enough of an issue to take him off of some draft boards?

FYI Sam Monson had Troy Franklin as his WR #4.

Neither were very high on Brian Thomas Jr.

Burton is such a weird one.  There are flashes and highlights where it's like...wow, okay this guy is for real.  But then most of the time he just disappears into the woodwork.  That's kind of worrying.  When you have a guy who looks like they can be an impact player, but just usually are not...you always have to sort of figure out "why" that is.  And it usually comes down to one of two things.  1)Weak motor, not fully engaged and going at 100% all the time.  or 2)Weak football instincts, don't let them be an impact player every snap because they only get it "right" every once in awhile.

8 minutes ago, massraider said:

For a guy who has those tools, it took him a loooong time to do what skinny little Worthy did as a freshman--at Texas. 

I think his athletic ability gives him a floor, but I don't know what his ceiling is. He might wind up being a really impressive looking WR4 for someone. 

Dyami brown wasn't nearly as big (same height though) or physical as Legette but that's the NFL career path I worry XL could have.  Hope I'm wrong, I've learned about his personal life/ journey and he's a guy to root for

Edited by adamq