Transfer Portal: '23-'24 Edition

BobbyPhil1781

Feels weird that Alabama is just going to die with Saban gone.

OSU should be a total powerhouse this season. Their portal has been incredible. Pulling Julian Sayin was about as big as it gets for the future of the program... Unless of course Ryan Day gets fired and everyone transfers.

I don't know what the solution is for the portal. It feels like everyone should be getting paid and there should be some kind of soft contracts for players that would potentially help keep them in house. Maybe something like, "you can get paid under this contract but cannot transfer as easily, or you can not get paid and transfer whenever you want."

I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 11:34 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Oh now that ya'll opened pandora's box ya'll want to set up rules and restrictions? Good luck. This is the college football you wanted.

You're right. I wanted this and caused it to happen and the only options are this or the old model. 😁

On 2/3/2024 at 9:26 PM, nagahide13 said:

Feels weird that Alabama is just going to die with Saban gone.

OSU should be a total powerhouse this season. Their portal has been incredible. Pulling Julian Sayin was about as big as it gets for the future of the program... Unless of course Ryan Day gets fired and everyone transfers.

I don't know what the solution is for the portal. It feels like everyone should be getting paid and there should be some kind of soft contracts for players that would potentially help keep them in house. Maybe something like, "you can get paid under this contract but cannot transfer as easily, or you can not get paid and transfer whenever you want."

I dunno.

I am sure a lot of people want Alabama to "die" but that will not happen.  Sure they will not be as consistently dominant as a program or consistent but next year they will have a damn good football team and Milroe should develop into one of the best 3 QBs in the nation and have a monster season.

As long as some DBs develop they will be just fine.  They got elite leadership at key spots defensively with Lawson and Moore returning but CB will be an issue and guys will have to show out for that spot.   Everywhere else they are solid, rock solid at RB with Miller and Haynes.  OL Brailsford should be a good replacement at center, Roberts and Booker are arguably the two best guards in any team in the nation.  The tackles will be an issue but they are promising with Pritchett and McVay also with the transfer Betrand if those two do not workout.  At WR Bernard the Washington transfer could be a super star and they still have Law who is solid and Hale/Prentice who could be good as well.  Defensively the DL is really solid with Keegan, Smith and Oatis along with Latham, Payne and Overton.  Campbell is a fine ILB already and the edge could be an issue but Quandarrius has potential and they got potential young stars in Keeley, Khot and Alexander, one if not two of those three will turnout and be very solid is my guess.  So again the only real problem is the secondary and if they find guys for that they will be more than fine.  Oh and they just got Sabb transferred in from Michigan so that already possibly fills the hole opposite Moore at safety unless Moore is a boundary corner to star the year.  

Die?  Hardly, they will be easily ranked top 10 to start the season.  

If Downs, Proctor and Bond did not transfer out they would have been arguably ranked top 3 teams in the nation to start the season.  Even with all that Ohio State has, Alabama if they would have kept those three, they would have a better OL than Ohio State, better QB than Ohio State by a wide margin and better elite level players than Ohio State with Downs and Proctor being absolutely top of the line for that sophomore class and two of the most talented young players in the country.  But super star Downs not being there hurts a lot, along with Bond who was a great weapon for Milroe and Proctor who is just so promising and powerful at OT.  So sure the loss of talent hurts along with a bunch of lower level talent guys but still a lot of talent gone no question, die?  No way but sure it will never be to the level Nick Saban had things going and his consistency regardless of success.

Lucky for Ohio State they should be super motivated from getting their butt kicked by Michigan the last two years.  So they should be the more hungry team.  

As for the portal, well it literally makes college football a minor professional league and almost every starter readdresses their contract or payment situation year in and year out regardless of circumstance, program or coach.  And it has nothing to do with Name Image or Likeness, it is just college boosters/collectives just buying good players so their freaking team wins.  At least before there was the idea that players actually cared about a University, program or a coach but now everyone comes and goes.....well just like the coaches do really.  So what the hell.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I am sure a lot of people want Alabama to "die" but that will not happen.  Sure they will not be as consistently dominant as a program or consistent but next year they will have a damn good football team and Milroe should develop into one of the best 3 QBs in the nation and have a monster season.

Die?  Hardly, they will be easily ranked top 10 to start the season.  

giphy.gif

I'd give you all the ❤️s if I could!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 1:34 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Oh now that ya'll opened pandora's box ya'll want to set up rules and restrictions? Good luck. This is the college football you wanted.

No it's not.

Granted, if you can find a post that says, "I want a court to come in and gut the NCAA authority, then have no one replace it with anything ever", maybe that person did. I guess Ayn Rand would be fine with it.

What we've wanted this entire time is a way to pay players within the structure of CFB. Transfers within reason, like Joe Burrow to LSU, are good for the game. Paying players and letting them use their likeness is good for the game. Guys being able to abuse the transfer portal to the point that they can cherry pick which semester they spend at which school is not good for the game. This is obviously untenable.

I'll say what I've been saying for a long time: make them employees. That's how this should have been done in the first place.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Dear Caleb Downs,

I heard the rumor was the reason Proctor is leaving is because the checks arent cashing? like thought I read he hasnt received any of his NIL money from them. Meanwhile, Downs has been seen driving a brand new Range Rover or some other top of the line SUV, I cant remember what I read 

18 hours ago, buno67 said:

I heard the rumor was the reason Proctor is leaving is because the checks arent cashing? like thought I read he hasnt received any of his NIL money from them. Meanwhile, Downs has been seen driving a brand new Range Rover or some other top of the line SUV, I cant remember what I read 

My understanding is he didn’t do any of the charitable work he agreed to when he signed.  That’s the rumor going around anyway. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...