2024 Offseason Thread

KingTitan

Can definitely tell they knew oline was a weakness and probably identified that we have some guys that have tools that can be molded into something.

definitely interested to see what direction the oline goes.. we have a wealth of oline knowledge now

Is this a "Bill is close to retirement" hire? Just curious that an OL coach with apparently really good reputation leaves a job as a P5 OL coach to come be either an assistant OL coach or an offensive analyst. Possibilities of it being a pay raise or him being tired of the college football changes also exist I suppose.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Is this a "Bill is close to retirement" hire? Just curious that an OL coach with apparently really good reputation leaves a job as a P5 OL coach to come be either an assistant OL coach or an offensive analyst. Possibilities of it being a pay raise or him being tired of the college football changes also exist I suppose.

i had a similar thought, but there's no prior callahan connection as far as i can tell. doesn't rule it out of course but i'd kind of expect that if he were to hire a protege of sorts. the closest thing i can find is that fuchs is a lance leipold guy, has followed him to multiple stops, and leipold worked as an assistant at nebraska....but he actually moved on when callahan was hired as HC there, so it's quite tenuous. sort of interesting as you'd expect an assistant-level guy like him to have some connection to someone on staff.

9 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I remember hearing on a podcast a few months back how a lot of college coaches were desperately trying to find a way into the NFL by any means necessary because the current state of college football. I thought that was interesting hearing then but the fact a P5 HC moved to the NFL to be a DC and now Fuchs moved to be an assistant OL coach, shows some validity there.

I’m sure coaching with/under and potentially being the successor to one of the best OL coaches of all time doesn’t hurt either.

1 hour ago, renndawg37 said:

If he isn't tagged, I'd bet we would be the heavy favourites to sign him. 

Hell be tagged no doubt about it, I think we eventually trade for him. It just makes sense for the bengals to move on & get what they can for him. Yes they can afford him on the tag, but they can’t afford to tag him 2 yrs in a row, & if he plays hard ball threatening a holdout willing to sit out till week 10 the bengals are screwed. They focus should be on improving the OL by all means. Resign Williams & Boyd & draft Higgins replacement the draft is deep in WR & OL talent. 

37 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

The more I look at these free agent WRs. The more I don't like em. We are gonna have to find another way to get a WR I feel.

I like Gabe Davis, but people keep telling me I shouldn't. lol

But outside of that, I don't see anyone I'm willing to give a big deal. I think we sign someone that people will sarcastically say "we are saved, player x who had 300 yards last year was signed!" 

We need a WR in the first 2 rounds one way or another. 

20 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I like Gabe Davis, but people keep telling me I shouldn't. lol

But outside of that, I don't see anyone I'm willing to give a big deal. I think we sign someone that people will sarcastically say "we are saved, player x who had 300 yards last year was signed!" 

We need a WR in the first 2 rounds one way or another. 

Not sure who's telling you shouldn't, but I'd like Gabe Davis very much, as well. 

For that last part, though, I'd take the top two players for those two picks respectively, whether they play WR or not.