Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s wrong with Peppers? I thought he looked fine playing SS.

Or are folks mad he didn’t make plays line up a quarter mile from the LOS?

I am sure we know whether there is anything wrong with Peppers.

I also am not sure whether we know how much is right, at last R-1 right.

I remember this time last year one of the very few posters who didn’t want Myles at 1 suggested that it didn’t make sense to put Ogbah or Nassib on the bench. Could you imagine how bad it would have been expecting those 2 to be starters?

Strongly consider Chubb at 4 because I don’t ever see Ogbah being a stud. He can be a nice rotational guy though. Nassib should be a 4th DE at best.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I remember this time last year one of the very few posters who didn’t want Myles at 1 suggested that it didn’t make sense to put Ogbah or Nassib on the bench. Could you imagine how bad it would have been expecting those 2 to be starters?

Strongly consider Chubb at 4 because I don’t ever see Ogbah being a stud. He can be a nice rotational guy though. Nassib should be a 4th DE at best.

To be fair some evaluators had Nassib and Ogbah rated higher than Garrett this past season. Nassib had a higher snap count than Garrett (643 to 518) and both had more than Ogbah (462). All had about the same amount of tackles (18 or 19), Garrett led with 7 sacks, 4 for Ogbah and 3 for Nassib. Ogbah forced 2 fumbles and recovered one, Garrett had one of each and Nassib had none. Nassib and Ogbah each had 6 tackles for a loss, Garrett had 2. Ogbah had 6 passes defensed, Nassib 5 and Garrett 1. Nassib and Ogbah both had a blocked kick. Garrett did have 18 QB hits to Nassib's 7 and Ogbah's 6 so he was definitely better at getting after the QB but overall had less negative yards plays than either Nassib or Ogbah.

I definitely think he is a good player but I also think Ogbah is a beast and if you re-watch the games you will see he wasn't asked to rush the edge very often he did most of his work going inside for whatever reason, but it certainly worked in the running game we averaged 86 yards against per game with Ogbah in there and 108 without him. I think Nassib is a good rotational guy too so I probably wouldn't worry about a defensive end early as it would be improving a strength potentially instead of improving a weakness which we could really use on the offensive side of the ball.

I list our needs this offseason as follows:

QB

WR (At best we need a slot/insurance policy for injury guy and at worst Gordon's replacement)
RB (assuming Crowell is gone)
CB

OT (moves to #2 if Thomas retires)
S
LB depth

Everything else is luxury whether it be D-Line, interior offensive line or TE. We could have had the 1985 Bears defense and wouldn't have won more than a couple games. We need to fix the offense, the defense played very well minus TD passes against and a lot of that was aided by short fields with our 41 turnovers.

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone think Cory Coleman can be successful in the slot?  If "hypothetically" we were to re-sign Terrelle Pryor, I would think Pryor along with Gordon would play on the outside and Coleman would move to the inside slot.  I personally think Coleman can be very successful in the slot which allows him to go against nickel corners and you can move him around to create mismatches.  Thoughts?

Peace!!!

53 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone think Cory Coleman can be successful in the slot? 

I've always thought that with his size he is best suited for the slot and used more as a vertical threat and crossing route type guy. I don't like his size on the outside, especially in the Red Zone.

If "hypothetically" we were to re-sign Terrelle Pryor, I would think Pryor along with Gordon would play on the outside and Coleman would move to the inside slot. 

100% agreed...or even if we draft a WR/sign someone else in free agency, we should target a bigger body on the outside for this reason.

I personally think Coleman can be very successful in the slot which allows him to go against nickel corners and you can move him around to create mismatches.  Thoughts?

I agree. That said, he'd better figure out a way to stay on the field/stay healthy. That's a definite growing concern.

For the sake of discussion let’s say we take Chubb at 4. And create a truly dynamic one-Two with he and Garrett. Would Ogbah be better served gaining 5-10-15 pounds and play an undersized fast UT. I really think he could carry that way just fine. And would be one of the most if not the most athletic DTs in the league. It would create a truly scary front 4 on third down with Garrett-Ogunjobi-Ogbah-Chubb 

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

For the sake of discussion let’s say we take Chubb at 4. And create a truly dynamic one-Two with he and Garrett.

I still don't think that Chubb is all that overly AWESOME as a DE prospect because I don't think that he's an athletic freak like Garrett, Mario Williams, Clowney, etc. I think that his best comparison is SOLID, like Tamba Hali or even Ogbah. I'm in the minority here though. I wouldn't like that pick at all at #4.

Would Ogbah be better served gaining 5-10-15 pounds and play an undersized fast UT.

We already have Ogunjobi, Shelton, and Brantley. The only way I'd do this is have a NASCAR package with Chubb, Garrett, and Ogbah all in at the same time in long yardage situations or 2 minute situations.

I really think he could carry that way just fine. And would be one of the most if not the most athletic DTs in the league. It would create a truly scary front 4 on third down with Garrett-Ogunjobi-Ogbah-Chubb 

Hard to argue with...my thoughts as well as stated above.

2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone think Cory Coleman can be successful in the slot?  If "hypothetically" we were to re-sign Terrelle Pryor, I would think Pryor along with Gordon would play on the outside and Coleman would move to the inside slot.  I personally think Coleman can be very successful in the slot which allows him to go against nickel corners and you can move him around to create mismatches.  Thoughts?

Peace!!!

I've been feeling the same way for a while now. Capt Can't Catch would be a lot better as a slot WR, while taller and stronger WRs filled in #1 and #2 spots. Pryor and Gordon would be nice, I'd like to sign another one as well then draft someone in the 2nd. My goals for wideouts this off season would be to NOT repeat the Wideout position woes ever again. It gives me flash backs just thinking about Britt and the PS all-stars. If Kizer didn't give up the pick, they would bounce it around until a DB did catch it. UGH! 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

If we don't feel good about the SS position and want a replacement in the first round, then drafting Jabril Peppers was a horrendous decision and he's already a bust. I don't tend to think this way, because we have no idea how good he can be if he plays within 23 yards of the LOS pre-snap.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

BPA at a position where we already have 2 competent players?

Is there a position on this team we as fans should feel more comfortable about than SS long term?

I agreed completely. I'm getting away from drafting Fitz just because he is a safety and there are other positions of need. I was asking where in the draft WOULD we take him. The kid has talent but from what I've seen he is a jack of all trades in the backfield when we need a true CB. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived