2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Fitz was one of the most dominant college receivers ever, Coleman's production was just meh at FSU.

No real comparison since Fitz ran a sub 4.5

He did not run at the combine. The 4.6 time is apparently attributed to a data entry error.

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=325810

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=27220&DraftYear=2004

Edited by nagahide13

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Would he have even beat Devin Culp at 4.47?  I do not know.  Not sure he would have honestly.

As for Culp that is nuts how lacking in production he was at Washington, sure they had other weapons to throw to but they also had WR injuries this year.  Jake Westover out performed him on the field at TE no question for Washington this year, sadly he did not participate at the combine but that kid can make some awesome catches and clearly has a better feel for the position than Culp.  Will be interesting what happens with Culp though, maybe he was just used to clear defenses out and just run downfield and take someone with you, but a guy that fast with lacking production, and he was around for a long time, is odd.

Certainly have to be wary when a guy with that kind of "athleticism" is being passed over repeatedly in the hierarchy for lesser athletes.  It's usually because they're better football players.  Or conversely, that the "athletic specimen" is not a very good actual football player.

But it's TE so given the typical NCAA --> NFL transition anyway, when you see rare athletes that might fit the role, it doesn't hurt to throw a late round flyer on one now and then and see what your staff can do with them.  It's convenient in that as long as they're not catastrophically stupid or unwilling...a big athletic TE body is a pretty useful STer at the very least.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Caleb Williams chooses not to partake at the combine and he's a diva.

Daniels chooses not to participate at the combine or give measurements and he's a class act.

I mean, this one is such a complete crock of ****.  😆

"Get his teammates more exposure".  lmao.  Like Nabers who also ducked out?  All those other LSU guys that he definitely wasn't stealing attention and exposure from by refusing to even get measured?

I think it's pretty clear what Daniels is hiding here.  He wants every last moment to try to get his weight up to something that isn't going to scare teams off.  Not throwing or doing drills?  Whatever.  But refusing to step on a scale?  Nahhhhhhh.

I'd wager Nabers is probably much the same issue.

10 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

Sweat played a lot of snaps last year. His stamina is great for a man his size.

I knew Fiske was athletic, but this blows me away, These are Donald type numbers. I think he goes in the late 2nd, hopefully to the Texans. I'm hoping for either Sweat or Fiske at 2-59.

I think with a guy like Sweat...there's a pretty big difference between "College Stamina" and "NFL Stamina".  Dude is enormous enough that he can afford to take plays off in college and he still ain't getting moved off his spot by the future insurance salesman Center.  In the NFL there's zero room to take plays off, or even half motor.  I think that's still a real concern with Sweat, along with just how much work it's going to be off the field to stay on top of him to keep in shape through the season and especially in the offseason where you can't even really be involved like that.

Fiske on the other hand is the exact polar opposite of that.  He's a guy who i don't think anybody worried about putting in the work, his motor and effort are all top notch on tape and he seems like a seriously high intensity prospect.

But his athletic numbers surely opened some eyes.  Where it looks on tape like effort and motor are the biggest drivers behind solid athleticism...him testing out as a very good athlete like that is going to combine with everything else there to send his stock flying.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked with the 1st round, given the way i'd expect coaches to take to the guy in any meetings/interviews.

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Running Back really isn't a stopwatch position but I was really hoping for better than 4.7 from Estime.

Honestly though, if you were drafting Estime thinking he was anything other than a big bruiser, you might be really disappointed.  But then, what were you even doing in the first place?  He's not a guy you take as a home run threat, or some speedy shifty big play guy who is going to be sent out in space all the time as a playmaker.  If you like him, he's going to be a 4 yards and a cloud of dust guy.  And if he happens to get loose in the second level somehow by accident, guys are going to be making business decisions.

It's an ugly number, and i'm sure he'll be working on it before his Pro Day to try to shave that down to a 4.67 or something (Walmart pricing style) where it looks better.  But whatever.  He's a big straight line bruise and that's mostly what he looks like on tape.  So you get what you get.

9 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Those are kinda expected.  State record holder in track and field.

This is the other side of things, like yeah...a Track Star is potentially going to come in and post track star numbers in gym shorts.  But you still have to think about that in context of what they actually do on the football field, in games.  Crosscheck whether they actually look anything like that kind of athlete in pads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I mean, have you seen Legette?  😆  Dude is built like a Kangaroo or something.  Just thicc power lower body build.  I'm zero percent surprised that the guy can jump extremely far and high.

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's funny how Hartman is the only QB running in his group.  Particularly since he was most noteworthy in college for "moving gradually towards the LOS" at Wake.

I can't tell if Hartman bothering to run as a QB is him straight up trolling the process, or if it's actually just a genuine effort to illustrate exactly who he is as a "prospect".  The guy who is going to go the extra mile, above and beyond expectation and scrap and claw his way to anything.  Either way, it really fits.

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He plays like that though, no one said he was a burner but he will make a play 

re: Coleman, this is exactly it.  Nobody expected him to be fast.  

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Fair, but he's not gaining anything here at the moment either. 

cntd re: Coleman, the real advantage is ultimately just in getting it out of the way early.  It wasn't a good 40 time, but these guys should know pretty well what they're capable of running, and at that point...it's going to come out sooner or later.  This way allows him a lot more time to get out in front of it and do "damage control" by simply explaining the reality that "you're not drafting him to be a burner".  You're drafting him on the other drills and more importantly, what he put on tape.

It also gives him a chance to show "improvement" and "effort" when he runs a slightly improved time on his home turf Pro Day.

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

This seems really big for Adonai Mitchell.  On tape i didn't necessarily see that kind of athleticism and speed.  He comes across as very "smooth" but not ultra dynamic in any particular aspect.

But that's a big result for him that will potentially get some teams thinking about him a little bit differently.  I think that solidifies him within that "2nd tier" WR group from the Mid to Late 1st Round.

7 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Coleman got the highest speed on the gauntlet. When the ball is involved he shows up.

Yep.  That checks out.  That's why a guy like Coleman would want to get his ugly 40 time out of the way early.  It's not something he could hide from so it's gonna come up...but this way, he gets to point at the other positive things he can do and where he's got plenty of "football speed" to start the damage control process.  Changes the narrative from ducking out and running a terrible 40 at his Pro Day, to letting him show and tell all about his actual football ability and shift focus back to his strong tape and football skill.

7 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Does not even a tenth of a second matter? 

Tee Higgins ran a 4.59

Have to also remember with this stuff that a bunch of the teams have old dinosaurs as scouts who are probably timing things themselves with their old slow *** reflexes and are going to get different numbers within that sort of margin of error anyway.

But there's an undeniable process in the human brain where numbers trip people up and 4.59 sound massively lower than 4.6.  Stupid and irrelevant as it actually is.

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like I grant guys like Higgens and Jarvis Landry are/were good NFL players, I'd just prefer to draft a different kind of WR if that's an option.  Like with the 33rd pick in 2020 I would have taken Michael Pittman Jr. over Higgins.  If I had the 33rd pick this year, I'd probably take a different WR instead of Coleman.

Weird.  I specifically like that kind of WR if they're an option.  Gimme guys who play football well and show play speed to make waves, and ya'll can keep the track team.  lol.

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Hartman looks like a DND on those throws.  I am more impressed with Leary than Hartman.

Not pretty.  But i think this is really just Hartman representing exactly what he is.  It may be DND looking throws, but nobody was under the illusion he was a premium athlete with a huge + arm.  What he's going to be to anyone who drafts him...is a premiere Clipboard Holder.  Just a smart, extremely dedicated, hard working, "go the extra mile", extremely well liked good teammate who knows his role...etc. etc. bundle of "intangibles".  Including just going out there and competing and scrap and claw his way through a potentially kinda ugly combine.

But you look at what a lot of teams field and value in a backup and well...that's probably his best bet in making a case for being draftable at all.  Ironically...to go out there and show that his athletic traits maybe kind suck...but he's gonna give it 110% anyway.

6 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

At a certain point isn't the 40 for a receiver a bit overrated when you're not some fast burner anyway? As long as you are good at everything else

Yeah.  Pretty much.

If a "speedy receiver" doesn't run fast, that's bad news.  If a "possession receiver" doesn't run fast, that's not really news at all.  If a "possession receiver" does run fast...well...that starts to get some positive attention.

5 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm curious to see how Ewers plays next year w/o two (presumably) NFL WRs and a NFL TE

Definitely a bold decision by Ewers to go back try to better what he did this season...minus some bigtime weapons.  It's either going to massively pay off for him, it he basically screwed himself and is going to cost himself a ton of money.  Not gonna ding a guy for "betting on himself"...but it may have been a stupid bet.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

This year, they moved the BP to the last day.

Yeah.  It was noted when the schedule came out that they moved it to the "end" of each day.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone from most of these groups just opted out of it though.  It's such a mostly irrelevant exercise that really only tells you a little bit about how much time the guy has probably spent in the weight room.

OLine will probably bother to partake more.  Especially as it's sort of wrapping up the whole event i guess.  At the one position where it's potentially more relevant.

Used to be so funny when people would make a big deal of it because it was the first event, even for irrelevant positions.

38 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Weird.  I specifically like that kind of WR if they're an option.  Gimme guys who play football well and show play speed to make waves, and ya'll can keep the track team.  lol.

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62. If you can play, you can play.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Real good day for Xavier Worthy. 
41 vertical jump (higher than Jhonny Wilson who is 6'6) + 10'11 broad jump, both top 5 mark among WRs testing at the combine today. Then you add his 4.22 (!!!) speed and I don't really care about the fact he's weighting 165 or has tiny hands. I think he ends up a pretty good 2nd WR for a team, DeSean Jackson style. 

Seems like he'll either end up being DeSean or Ted Ginn (if he stays healthy).