2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

25 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Thomas Jr ran a 4.33 at 6’3” 209 and has longer/bigger arms/hands than Mitchell.  Not sure why he’s not being considered the biggest winner.

Yeah I think he had one of the biggest days today, I knew he was fast, I didn't think he was that fast.

Though, I had absolutely no idea Mitchell was anywhere near that fast either.... Nor Worthy. I expected Worthy to be a 4.35 guy, and Mitchell to be a 4.5+ guy

Roman Wilson and Ladd McConkey both clocked faster than I expected as well.

Odunze was slower on the 40 time than I expected, but his 10 yard split I think was good enough that you're more than fine with 4.45 speed.

One disappointment I had was Troy Franklin.... he wasn't "slow" at all, mind you, but 4.41 is much slower than I predicted for him. I had him pegged as a 4.32-4.35 guy.  His relatively slower 10 yard split being the likely culprit

For running backs,

Trey Benson was a big winner

Jaylen Wright I think might be the big winner that is under the radar.

and Isaac Guerendo is a guy who I'm going to have to go back and watch literally all his tape on now.... wasn't even on my radar.

Corum, Lloyd, Jordan, and Allen are 3 I think hurt their stock a bit today.  Corum was much slower than expected, ditto Jahwar Jordan, LLoyd I actually expected to be a bit more dynamic than he was, though he is also heavier than I thought he was..... and Allen only jumped (which he did well on, but I want speed/agility metrics for a guy that big, especially since he's not really a "bruiser" for a big guy.

Edited by Epyon

31 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62. If you can play, you can play.

Jerry Rice ran a few times between 4.45 and 4.7. For now I still think Coleman gets knocked down to the early second. I was really expecting him to run somewhere close to 4.5... Hopefully he can clock a better time at some point before the draft. He hasn't shown the same separation or route running as a guy like Kupp did though. I mean, Kupp had what... 6500 yards and 73 TDs in college? He slipped to the third. Gotta think his 40 had at least a little to do with that. He's a bit of an outlier.

31 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Unreal athlete, toasted dudes at the Senior Bowl too. Crazy class…

I'm not all that surprised with Pearsall. 40 and jumps are a little better than expected, but they're not totally out of character. He's good at basically everything, except creating yardage after the catch.

• Like 2

scrolling through the previous drafts and you realize most of the players drafted outside of the top 12ish aren't gonna be that good. like the saints drafted a dude named Payton Turner in the 1st only a couple drafts ago and I have no idea who that is. 

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

scrolling through the previous drafts and you realize most of the players drafted outside of the top 12ish aren't gonna be that good. like the saints drafted a dude named Payton Turner in the 1st only a couple drafts ago and I have no idea who that is. 

Yeah but it was a very Saints move at the time. They keep trading up for incomplete major project edge rushers and then getting disappointed when they dont pan out. I feel like at this point they've traded away like 3 first round picks and gotten Marcus Davenport, Chris Olave and Payton Turner to show for it.

Olave is the only one from that group where he was expected to go in the range they got him in. Turner and Davenport were consensus reaches AND they Gabe up capital to go get them.

Edited by HoboRocket

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Rome and Wilson doing this is nuts

It is surprising and I would have never thought but Johnny Wilson at 6-6 231 out tested Keon Coleman.  During the season Keon Coleman looked like the more athletic player and really Wilson had some what of a down year, I guess Keon did take a ton of targets away from Wilson.  Those athletic numbers for Wilson are impressive, but the dude does have to work on his ball skills, drops are a big issue and tracking the football at times.

No way Wilson could catch punts like Keon did and make legit returns.  Still good showing for Wilson.  And McCaffrey ripping it up is not a surprise, 3rd best 3 cone at the combine and solid numbers overall just like Pearsall and McConkey

4 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

First 2 rounds are going to have all the WRs

Could say the first 3 rounds because obviously not every team will be taking a WR.  In the bottom of the 1st round though honestly not sure many of those teams pick WR or OL or CB.  Does depend on if Mike Evans is no longer at Tampa and if the Bills do something different at WR or the Chiefs.  I could see the Chiefs taking OT 1st round and waiting for a WR in the 2nd.  

And with guys like these around in late 2nd to the 4th or later one could easily wait on a WR.  Pearsall and McConkey are studs and possibly so is McCaffrey and Ainias is explosive and Wilson has ton s of potential.

Ladd McConkey Georgia RS
Johnny Wilson Florida State RS JR
Ricky Pearsall Florida RS
Ainias Smith Texas A&M RS
Luke McCaffrey Rice RS
Jalen McMillan Washington RS
Jacob Cowing Arizona
Jermaine Burton Alabama
Isaiah Williams Illinois RS JR
Xavier Legette South Carolina RS
Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint Georgia

The real position is RB, one could get very rock solid value and quality up until the 7th round.  Very deep class with tons of variety, that would be why RBs do not get paid big bucks like other positions.  The spot can be filled pretty easily and late in the draft.  

Cooper DeJean, sad he could not perform at the combine because my guess is he would have ran in the high 4.3 range, jumped 40"+ and benched 15-20+ reps possibly.  Dude is the only CB that can play outside, slot, safety and be gunner on punts and return punts as well.  The guy is straight dynamic and if he does indeed fall to the bottom of the 1st round, the Ravens or 49ers are going to potentially get a star with him.  

Kool-Aid McKinstry is another, shame he could not workout but someone could get a stud with him.  Not sure if this is totally accurate but I heard he was targeted only 37 times all last season in pass coverage?  Could be a reason for his low production of course, curious if that was the least targeted of all the top CBs.

Mitchell of course is rising big time with his Senior Bowl work and now doing great at the combine, kind of a compact CB who is tough, does not get out of position easily and can really stick/mirror at WR.  Amazing performance at the combine as well. 

Honestly though DeJean is just as tough as Mitchell if not more physically and strong, probably more explosive as a leaper, better tackler, is a bit bigger that is more versatile in terms of slot and safety ability, more productive at a higher level of competition, better overall athlete with his return skills and more versatile on special teams with his ability to be a gunner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

It is surprising and I would have never thought but Johnny Wilson at 6-6 231 out tested Keon Coleman. 

I see u don't read Bruce feldmens 25 athletic freaks in the preseason.  

Only knock I have on Wilson is the hands.  He fixes that and he's probably a wr 1.   Could even be a TE convert project.

• Like 1