Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

When is the last time GB had a 3rd OLB who could provide any kind of pass rush?  Zombo?  The lack of OLB depth is especially hard to understand given the extensive injury history of both Matthews and Perry.

That's probably the most frustrating part.  But it also needs to be taken in context.  The Packers haven't exactly been in a position to draft a significant EDGE prospect.  Outside of TJ Watt, there really wasn't an EDGE who was of value that was available when the Packers pick.  And Carl Lawson had HUGE medical red flags that probably took him off the board.  And previous years didn't really have much else to offer.

13 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

When is the last time GB had a 3rd OLB who could provide any kind of pass rush?  Zombo?  The lack of OLB depth is especially hard to understand given the extensive injury history of both Matthews and Perry.

I agree, edge rusher (OLB in the 3-4) and CB are the two most important position to a defense and the Packers healthy depth at those positions by the years end has completely sucked... I'm not sure any defensive coach could do that well with this amount of lack of healthy talent... while Capers might not be the best coach... he's seriously had his hands tied to some degree, as it's hard to be creative when your weak at the two most important positions of your units.

Capers is at his best when he has many options and is allowed to be creative... lately due to injuries and lack of talent, he hasn't been allowed to be that creative and between the injuries, lack of talent and lack of creative... the defense has sucked.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's probably the most frustrating part.  But it also needs to be taken in context.  The Packers haven't exactly been in a position to draft a significant EDGE prospect.  Outside of TJ Watt, there really wasn't an EDGE who was of value that was available when the Packers pick.  And Carl Lawson had HUGE medical red flags that probably took him off the board.  And previous years didn't really have much else to offer.

I honestly didn't think the Packers were going to take Watt at their spot... it just felt too fan driven and a lot of the ratings had him lower... I still think the Packers thought more of their options would drop to them in the 2nd than what did.

As for the 4th... I felt SURE that it was gonna be Lawson... I mean we just got Adams, so it was gonna be Auburn DL in back to back picks..... but nope. Though Vince Biegel has stepped up quicker than I thought he would considering he got zero training camp. Will be interesting to see what he's like after a training camp.

7 hours ago, Chili said:
  • Possible co-ordinator availablity        
    Vic Fangio    59    Bears
    Paul Guenther    46    Bengals

Experienced position coaches        
    Perry Fewell    55    Jaguars
    Karl Dunbar    50    Alabama
    Raheem Morris    41    Atlanta

College Football co-ordinators        
    Dave Aranda    41    LSU
    Jim Leonhard    35    Wisconsin

NFL position coaches        
    Brian Flores     36    Patriots
    Aaron Glenn    45    Saints
    Micheal Barrow    47    Seattle
    Anthony Weaver    37    Houston
    Nick Eason    37    Titans

3 hours ago, Beast said:

I agree, edge rusher (OLB in the 3-4) and CB are the two most important position to a defense and the Packers healthy depth at those positions by the years end has completely sucked... I'm not sure any defensive coach could do that well with this amount of lack of healthy talent... while Capers might not be the best coach... he's seriously had his hands tied to some degree, as it's hard to be creative when your weak at the two most important positions of your units.

Capers is at his best when he has many options and is allowed to be creative... lately due to injuries and lack of talent, he hasn't been allowed to be that creative and between the injuries, lack of talent and lack of creative... the defense has 

Exactly. The argument isn't we aren't talented, just not good enough in those 2 positions. It can be fixed, and relatively quickly

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Well, every team wishes they had 2 much less 3 competent edge guys. The teams that do are generally really good. They get a lot of money, are highly drafted, and each team wants more than 1. Hard to build up that stable drafting late all the time unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Well, every team wishes they had 2 much less 3 competent edge guys. The teams that do are generally really good. They get a lot of money, are highly drafted, and each team wants more than 1. Hard to build up that stable drafting late all the time unfortunately.

We're too busy drafting cornerbacks who get exposed because he have no pass rush.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Are we pretending that Perry & Matthews don't get a lot of money now?

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Id say the last three years with Peppers.

50 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I'm not sure how I would feel about it but I bet Marvin Lewis gets a long look, assuming he gets fired. Has he ever coached a 3-4? They did in Balt at least some of the time correct? 

I'd put less than a 0% chance that Marvin Lewis gets even the slightest look by Mike.

Archived