2024 Day 2 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

If the Packers choose to double dip early on OL then I fully expect the Packers to be all over Kingsley Suamataia and Brandon Coleman in the 2nd and 3rd. Rosengarden too perhaps but his hand size might disqualify him.

However there's still plenty of candidates for day 3 of the draft such as Wallace, Grable and Christian Jones. The Packers showed alot of interest in Bortolini but his wingspan is very small projecting him as a Centre only prospect at the next level.

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

If the Packers choose to double dip early on OL then I fully expect the Packers to be all over Kingsley Suamataia.

Saw that.  Him or JPJ would put a charge in that OL if Gute is looking to upgrade there.

Thinking LB Edgerrin Cooper has to be in that mix at #41 too.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Outside of DeJean (my #12 player) and Newton (#22 but potentially med red flagged), I'm excited to pick from this board at 41. Not a single player there would upset me. 

29 Kool-Aid McKinstry DB 6-1 195 Alabama
30 Keon Coleman WR 6-4 215 Florida State
31 T.J. Tampa DB 6-2 200 Iowa St.
32 Jackson Powers-Johnson OL 6-3 320 Oregon
33 Marshawn Kneeland EDGE 6-3 275 W. Michigan
34 Braden Fiske DL 6-5 297 Florida State
35 J.J. McCarthy QB 6-3 202 Michigan
36 Ennis Rakestraw Jr. DB 6-0 188 Missouri
37 Jordan Morgan OL 6-5 325 Arizona
38 Edgerrin Cooper LB 6-3 230 Texas A&M
39 Kingsley Suamataia OL 6-6 325 BYU
40 Ladd McConkey WR 6-0 185 Georgia
41 Payton Wilson LB 6-4 238 NC State
42 Javon Bullard DB 5-11 195 Georgia

Of this list, Ladd McConkey would rile me up pretty good.  I would be on board with the rest of them.  Still out on Cooperscooper though.  

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I wonder if DeJean is a medical red flag as well, or maybe the league just doesn't view him the same way the draft community does.

I’m not saying he’s Ernest Shazor at all, but in order to keep a level head, I always remind myself of Ernest Shazor in 2005.

I read all the draft magazines. He was pretty much a consensus round 2-3 guy. I wanted him with our 2nd. We took Nick Collins (“Who?!?!”)

and the league, who collectively know more than any draftnik, let Shazor go undrafted. I never ever forget that, because it informs just how little we all know. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Figure we're going to go defense with our 2nd round picks.

Pretty good bet there. Don't see WR/RB in play (yet) and I'd be at least mildly surprised if they went OL again that fast. 

CB, SAF, LB, DL all in play in round 2. Ton of good DBs available in round 2. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I’m not saying he’s Ernest Shazor at all, but in order to keep a level head, I always remind myself of Ernest Shazor in 2005.

I read all the draft magazines. He was pretty much a consensus round 2-3 guy. I wanted him with our 2nd. We took Nick Collins (“Who?!?!”)

and the league, who collectively know more than any draftnik, let Shazor go undrafted. I never ever forget that, because it informs just how little we all know. 

Well, he sucks like Ernest Shazor, so there is that in common.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I wonder if DeJean is a medical red flag as well, or maybe the league just doesn't view him the same way the draft community does.

You're telling me that the media hyped up the [redacted]? That doesn't sound like them.

• Like 2

9 picks to wait in the 2nd round.

Cooper DeJean
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Edgerrin Cooper
Javon Bullard
Jer'Zhan Newton
Marshawn Kneeland
Renardo Green
Max Melton

Thanks to the first round teams lusting over offensive players there are lots of defensive players still on the board. We got a good shot at getting somebody we like.

Bryan Bulaga saying "Cooper DeJean, IOWA" dream is still on.

Speaking of Cooper DeJean his highlights were a bit unconventional. I feel like he freelances quite a bit instead of staying sticky on the receiver. It's fine as long as his instincts are consistently reliable otherwise he will get burned. There was one highlight where he makes a great interception in the corner of the red zone. The QB threw a big one to the corner, DeJean instead staying close and jumping with the WR to disrupt or intercept instead he chose to peel away several meters from the WR whilst the ball was still far away high up in the air and essentially left the WR all alone in the redzone. Had the WR caught the ball DeJean would look so stupid but the ball just missed the receiver by maybe a foot and DeJean was able to make an excellent interception.

Great interception but he left the WR all alone unguarded in the redzone to take that risk and that's a big No No for me. He freelanced imo to make that play. Consistently in highlights he doesn't behave or move like a corner.

You can see his footspeed and twitchiness isn't quite where you want to see in a corner but it's still good if you want him as a full time safety.

He's absolutely a safety who we can move around disguising our coverages and that in itself has great value for defensive coordinators.

Because he is unconventional I can see Gute not liking him as much as we Packers fans do. Be ready for us to pass on him again if that happens.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Outside of DeJean (my #12 player) and Newton (#22 but potentially med red flagged), I'm excited to pick from this board at 41. Not a single player there would upset me. 

29 Kool-Aid McKinstry DB 6-1 195 Alabama
30 Keon Coleman WR 6-4 215 Florida State
31 T.J. Tampa DB 6-2 200 Iowa St.
32 Jackson Powers-Johnson OL 6-3 320 Oregon
33 Marshawn Kneeland EDGE 6-3 275 W. Michigan
34 Braden Fiske DL 6-5 297 Florida State
35 J.J. McCarthy QB 6-3 202 Michigan
36 Ennis Rakestraw Jr. DB 6-0 188 Missouri
37 Jordan Morgan OL 6-5 325 Arizona
38 Edgerrin Cooper LB 6-3 230 Texas A&M
39 Kingsley Suamataia OL 6-6 325 BYU
40 Ladd McConkey WR 6-0 185 Georgia
41 Payton Wilson LB 6-4 238 NC State
42 Javon Bullard DB 5-11 195 Georgia

I can’t see Tampa or Rakestraw as serious options due to their low athletic profile and RAS scores. It’s just not the Packer way.

• Like 1