3.88 - Marshawn Lloyd [RB; USC]

Gute was asked about the pass-receiving. 

1. Said he showed good hands in practice, senior bowl and combine.  So, even though the offense didn't throw to him a lot, the scouting reflects good hands.
  2. Said ability to run routes, not having done that much, you don't really know, and that's something he'll need to learn.  

"Best football ahead of him" is a standard Gute line.  Some posters have noted Lloyd's age, and I think in concept with older picks maybe there isn't as much untapped upside left.  But Gute projects "best football ahead" for Lloyd.  I think that applies in all three areas where Lloyd hasn't proven excellence yet: 

1. pass receiving/route-running
  2. pass-blocking
  3. ball-security.  

26 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Favorite pick, given where they got him. However, am I the only who has to catch himself from saying Marshawn Lynch instead of Marshawn Lloyd? Driving me nuts...

People keep referring to him as "Lloyd" and it takes me forever to realize who they're talking about. One of those things where the first name is so much more memorable than the surname.

Just rolling through the draft again… 

(The draft always happens on my birthday and now that my sweet daughters have children they roll up in relentless waves of filial love. It’s like having a shopping cart of golden retriever puppies dumped into your cubicle when you are swamped with work you really wanted to get done.)

For me, Marshawn Lloyd is the pick that hasn’t gotten enough attention or appreciation. Maybe they run highlight videos at 110% speed to zhuszh things up. Doesn’t matter. Lloyd outran the angles of pursuers. He hit narrow holes hard. He caught seam passes without getting turned around. He averaged 4.4 yards after contact.

And I was too distracted by the puppies to notice. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, craig said:

ball-security.  

That's honestly going to be the thing that keeps him from succeeding.  If he didn't have the fumble issues in college, I would have put money on him being a top 64 pick.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Just rolling through the draft again… 

(The draft always happens on my birthday and now that my sweet daughters have children they roll up in relentless waves of filial love. It’s like having a shopping cart of golden retriever puppies dumped into your cubicle when you are swamped with work you really wanted to get done.)

For me, Marshawn Lloyd is the pick that hasn’t gotten enough attention or appreciation. Maybe they run highlight videos at 110% speed to zhuszh things up. Doesn’t matter. Lloyd outran the angles of pursuers. He hit narrow holes hard. He caught seam passes without getting turned around. He averaged 4.4 yards after contact.

And I was too distracted by the puppies to notice. 

That is quite a stat. The 5'8 thing doesnt really bother me. Dude can move. Hopefully he can get his vision trained up. 

As for the bday thing... my wifes bday typically falls on a draft day. I usually remind her that one of our first dates was watching the draft on her bday - she signed up for these terms of the agreement. 

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's honestly going to be the thing that keeps him from succeeding.  If he didn't have the fumble issues in college, I would have put money on him being a top 64 pick.

I hope Gute didn't drop the ball on this one.

55 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

That is quite a stat. The 5'8 thing doesnt really bother me. Dude can move. Hopefully he can get his vision trained up. 

As for the bday thing... my wifes bday typically falls on a draft day. I usually remind her that one of our first dates was watching the draft on her bday - she signed up for these terms of the agreement. 

In my opinion, small height fluctuation is only a big deal with WRs and CBs.  And a lot of that really comes down to preference anyway. It just matters if he can play.  Remember how much of a PITA Darren Sproles was? He was like 5'6.  

While we still have AJ Dillon, I would use Lloyd like we used Dillon as a rookie.  Dillon had 46 carries and played in 11 games.  Make sure he learns his protection assignments, give him some carries as a fresh set of legs, then unleash him as the number 2 back next season.  He can probably take over for Jacobs the season after that.  Rinse and repeat.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yes, small hands. Yet he seems to catch the ball well. Reminds me of Ahmad Green, who had fumble issues early on with Seattle, got in Holmgren's doghouse, got traded to GB for Vinson, and fixed that issue, and had a great career with the Packers. I'm confident that it will get addressed by the coaches, hopefully minimize the issue.

29 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Yes, small hands. Yet he seems to catch the ball well. Reminds me of Ahmad Green, who had fumble issues early on with Seattle, got in Holmgren's doghouse, got traded to GB for Vinson, and fixed that issue, and had a great career with the Packers. I'm confident that it will get addressed by the coaches, hopefully minimize the issue.

You and I remember this very differently.

• Like 1

Marshawn Lloyd is going to be a handful if he can figure out pass protection.    He needs to receive every available carry not going to Jacobs.   Dillon can watch politely and do squats on the sidelines, Wilson can slap high-fives with his practice squad brethren.  Every so often if Dillon is feeling antsy he can walk off 3 yards to remember what it feels like to be in the game

Edited by Kampfgeist

50 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

In Gute's press conference, he notes that their research data had not found a correlation between hand size and fumble rate.  So he didn't seem to perceive it as inevitable that Lloyd's hand size would necessarily be a long-term un-fixable source of fumbles.