What was the most frustrating season that you have seen for your team?

2009 and 2018 steelers

both teams were good enough to reach a Superbowl but missed the playoffs by a game. They kept losing in the dumbest ways late in the 4th..Erie how close those teams were in blowing games 

• Like 1

Lots to choose from for Washington, but I’ll go with 2003.  The hiring of Steve Spurrier was awful in more ways than one- Marty Schottenheimer did not deserve to be one-and-done, Spurrier insisted on shoehorning his offense into the NFL, Snyder playing fantasy GM, etc.  

At least in 2002, the team was respectable, and Marvin Lewis was essentially the head coach.  He spoke more for the team than Spurrier, who admitted to not knowing many of his defensive players.  Lewis actually spoke in the part of the postgame press conference that the head coach usually did.  

When Lewis left, Spurrier was rudderless.  George Edwards was promoted from LB coach to DC, and was not great.  He’s since bounced around numerous teams and roles, not really keeping the two DC roles he had later for any length of time.  But Spurrier near the end was actually comedy gold in his own press conferences, including the last one.  Transcript is here- https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/steve-spurriers-final-redskins-press-conference-is-the-greatest-thing-ever

It was an utter train wreck, but one you couldn’t look away from.  Sure, you had the two forgettable years with Jim Zorn bypassing Gregg Williams and coaching the “Maroon and Black” team, but who really had high expectations for him?  There is also Jay Gruden’s last season, but that also ended with Bruce Allen getting fired so that’s not really all that frustrating.  

2008. Started out 11-1 (Somehow lost to the lowly 4-12 Derek Anderson led Browns). They were absolutely steam rolling teams including all four of the eventual conference championship teams (Eagles, Cardinals, Ravens and Steelers). I've been watching the Giants since 1985 and aside from the 1990 and 2000 seasons I've never really had that  total confidence in my team winning feeling. Like it doesn't matter the opponent they're going to win. The feeling I envy Patriot fans had for nearly 20 years. That Chiefs fans have now. I had it in 2008... I was riding high... then Plax went to a night club with Antonio Pierce... 2-4 including a first round bounce to Philly (because of course Philly). Going from high hopes of back to back SB wins to one and done. Still frustrates me to this day. 

The 2016 season was painful to watch.

Sam Bradford never stopped checking down. It didn't matter what the situation was. He never stopped checking down. 

It was a miracle we went 5-0 and had some false hope. That was fun. It ended after that. I can't even rewatch games from that season. 

And of course Bridgewater had that terrible knee injury that led to us wasting a 1st and 4th on Bradford.

The seasons as a whole were fine as we were the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs both years, but losing to Baltimore in 2000 in the divisional round and Cinci in 2021 in the divisional round are probably the two most frustrating moments. We more than likely win the super bowl both seasons if not for those two matchups.

Baltimore's 00 defense is obviously one of, if not the greatest ever, but the Titans defense that season ranks in like the top 20 all time. We'd have shut down Oakland and New York too.

In 21, we embarrassed both Kansas City and the Rams already that season as they had no answer for our pass rush. Tannehill just playing average football results in a ring for us more than likely. Sacked Burrow 9 times and still lost....

Looking at seasons as a whole, maybe 2010. Vince Young actually looked like a solid QB to start the year, CJ was playing well and the defense was decent enough. Started 5-2 and then just fell apart. The true pain of this season is seeing the flashes Vince showed just falling apart as the season went on.

Besides a few random good seasons its been absolute hell for 20 years. But obviously Carr going down in 2016 was just the worst. Looking back at that season its kinda crazy how good Jack Del Rio had that team playing.

For Cleveland, 2022 was pretty awful. So many blown opportunities to win close games. It just seemed like they’d always have some reason they lost. The Jets and Chargers games were especially frustrating.

The Saints game perfectly summarized the season. Had every chance in the world to tie, but guys just kept dropping passes.

21 Colts is up there. First starting off 1-4 then winning 8/10 games. All they needed was to win 1/2 to make it to the playoffs.  6/8 losses were by 7 or less. Which ended with that disaster season finale against the Jags.

The William O'Brien III General Manager era. Which was immediately followed by the Jack Easterby EVP of Football Operations era.

Disaster isn't strong enough a word.