Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

NOTE: This is purely speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the way the contract was structured.  My guess is they could front load a contract even more if they wanted.  Numbers are rounded for simplicity's sake.

Jordan Love - 4 years, $220M, $75M signing bonus, $155M GTD
2024: $10.5M base salary, $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $27.8M cap hit
2025: $31.5M base salary (GTD), $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $48.8M cap hit
2026: $34.2M base salary (GTD), $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $51.4M cap hit
2027: $37.1M base salary (partially GTD), $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $54.3M cap hit
2028: $40.2M base salary, $15M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $55.7M cap hit

Yea, those numbers look reasonable. For context, here’s where those cap hits rank currently among QB’s:

2024: #10

2025: #6

2026: #10

2027: #6

2028: #3

and that’s w/o seeing Tua’s numbers yet. He might be below Tua, & get leapfrogged by Dak, Purdy, and/or other young QB’s. 

Not a bad ranking with respect to his production, though obviously not as big of a bargain as a Stroud-type hit. 

This has been obvious for a while. 

I'm old enough to remember people telling me he'd be traded for a 4th when I was saying he'd easily be making over $40mil/yr on his next contract.

Even I underestimated him.

That's really great news for the Green Bay Packers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm old enough to remember people telling me he'd be traded for a 4th when I was saying he'd easily be making over $40mil/yr on his next contract.

48/yr is fine. Perennial contenders. We will have a shot thru the duration of the deal

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Just thinking the same thing.  All the trade talk after Rodgers signed his big contract.  Figured Packers wouldn't trade him for less than a 2nd at that time.  Other team forums yah maybe a 4th if we were lucky.  Got no takers. What's the 220 million dollar man worth now?  3 1sts and a couple of high end players?  We'll never trade him but his value is off the charts right now.  

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Just thinking the same thing.  All the trade talk after Rodgers signed his big contract.  Figured Packers wouldn't trade him for less than a 2nd at that time.  Other team forums yah maybe a 4th if we were lucky.  Got no takers. What's the 220 million dollar man worth now?  3 1sts and a couple of high end players?  We'll never trade him but his value is off the charts right now.  

At the time, they weren't wrong.  He was a guy with very limited mop-up time and middling preseason games.  Nobody was giving up anything for that, and we weren't going to take a low ball offer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Locked up until 2029, guaranteed 37 years and counting of elite QB play. Imagine being a fan of the Vikings, Lions or Bears. 

oof-damn.gif

5e3b1d6f-3733-4b6c-9cce-c510f9dd8ffb_tex

They're still in denial. It will be like year 5 of tearing it up as a starter that their purple brains finally realize GB did it again.

• Like 1

Love had $10.5m in base salary for 2024 and around $6m in signing bonus remaining

$220 for the next 4 years

In essence 5 years $236.5

$47.3m AAV 

I can live with the AAV the GTD at $155m is a bit steep though, that's like 66% of the contract, that will mean at a minimum he'll always acoount for 12% of cap. 

Doesn't seem like there are easy outs if his trajectory doesn't keep on going up

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

When did it become a thing that the next guy up has to be the highest paid? Wish these teams would start playing more hardball with these QBs.

And then do what? There's 2/3's of the league at a minimum that would give their left nut to have Love as their QB AND signed for the next 4-5 years. Agree the $$ amounts have escalated big time but it's what the market demands. Hardball is a tough game to play.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Seemed as though the real deadline was the first padded practice which happens to be tomorrow

This is what I've thought from the day his "hold-in" was announced.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

When did it become a thing that the next guy up has to be the highest paid? Wish these teams would start playing more hardball with these QBs.

That's how economics works...