With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

12 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I bet the Broncos draft Allen at 1.5 if the Browns haven't already taken him.  

That was my immediate thought when I read the Keenum news. Elway is hedging his bets to take a gamble on the type of QB that he loves. 

If they want this Kyle Orton  Case Keenum experiment to work out they better build a roster around him that looks like Minnesota's. In other words, one that has real weapons outside, in the backfield and an offensive line to protect him for those 5-6 yard throws downfield that Orton Keenum excels at. Oh, and we also need a defense that get him the ball at midfield each series. 

You can't take a QB now, you need to win now with Orton Keenum. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

If they want this Kyle Orton  Case Keenum experiment to work out they better build a roster around him that looks like Minnesota's. In other words, one that has real weapons outside, in the backfield and an offensive line to protect him for those 5-6 yard throws downfield that Orton Keenum excels at. Oh, and we also need a defense that get him the ball at midfield each series. 

Haha oh stop he's way more mobile than orton. It is plummer and orton esque.

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I hope you are right about all of this, because after the McD/Orton experiment we went to the playoffs, hired a descent coach, signed a HOF QB, and a bunch of other top level players, dominated the AFC West, won the conference, and went to two Super Bowls.  So, you are saying we are two years away then.  

9 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I hope you are right about all of this, because after the McD/Orton experiment we went to the playoffs, hired a descent coach, signed a HOF QB, and a bunch of other top level players, dominated the AFC West, won the conference, and went to two Super Bowls.  So, you are saying we are two years away then.  

Orton first signed in 2009 . We first won the west in 2011 for 5 straight years. In two years there could be 2 tom Bradys.

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree, no way we use #5 on a QB.

Just now, AKRNA said:

I agree, no way we use #5 on a QB.

We probably should, because Kyle Orton Case Keenum isn't a franchise QB, even though we're paying him like it, but we're not taking a QB. 

Here it is from Mike Klis, the most well-connected guy in town. 

With Keenum as their quarterback, the Broncos are expected to keep Lynch as their backup. It means the Broncos probably won’t take a quarterback with their No. 5 overall draft pick, although Elway won’t rule it out.

I think we see how the board falls at 5. If the QB we covet is there, we probably take him, regardless of what Klis says. The door is open on potentially taking QB, just remember that. I think Saquon is the obvious target beyond that, but Bradley Chubb/Minkah Fitzpatrick could also be had.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I just can't see Elway using a large chunk of our cap space on a QB, then using our #5 pick on the same position.

So we trot out Keenum, Rudolph?  Lynch or Kelly at the QB spot?  That's one more bad season away from Elway's seat getting pretty hot.  He will have to do something to fix that QB spot and I don't think anyone is under the illusion here that Keenum is the long term answer

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

So we trot out Keenum, Rudolph?  Lynch or Kelly at the QB spot?  That's one more bad season away from Elway's seat getting pretty hot.  He will have to do something to fix that QB spot and I don't think anyone is under the illusion here that Keenum is the long term answer

I think they view kelly as the 2019 starter and beyond. They think keenum will help him.

Lynch will be kept because of dead money why not keep him. We'll see 

20 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think we see how the board falls at 5. If the QB we covet is there, we probably take him, regardless of what Klis says. The door is open on potentially taking QB, just remember that. I think Saquon is the obvious target beyond that, but Bradley Chubb/Minkah Fitzpatrick could also be had.

I’d add Darnold to that QB-you-take list.  Otherwise agreed. 

Archived