With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re right. Orton’s arm was stronger and he had a longer history of mediocre to average QB play. 

that's true. he also couldn't move like Keenum and would have been much worse on this team and in this era. I'd also guess that Orton didn't have a season that touched Keenum's.

I'll agree with plenty of Keenum slander but I'm good on the hyperbole 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I know we're not going to agree, but QB is the single most important position. Having a good one puts you in another stratosphere. Keenum may be here for a year. He may fail and we need the assurance. Being at 5 means we either have to spend no additional draft capital to get one, or trade fewer picks. What do we do in the medium term when Keenum's contract expires? Not being planful towards the future at the most important position in sports is a recipe for failure, IMO.

I agree with that. Bottom line though, we just signed Keenum to be the starter. We have a 1st rd QB on the bench sitting next to Mr irrelevant, someone we know nothing about.

Elways not about to throw in the towel on either one and he can't keep drafting QB's in the first. It's madness. Why are you guys so wanting to draft another QB, when the best minds in the business can't agree on any of them.

I know what it is. You've got complete confidence in Elway/FO ability to A. select the right one and B. Develop that kid to his max potential. We've been so good at both.9_9

You should all look at the 2011 draft.  If the Manning sweepstakes had not been won, we likely would not have taken Von Miller and potentially traded back and ended up with Gabbert, Locker or Christian Ponder.  Colin Kapernik and Andy Dalton were both second round picks that year and had tremendous value.  I believe the 4 QBs are better than all of them, but it is so hard to predict.

This feels like 2011 a bit.  Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk as well as Lamar Jackson if he falls, are very intriguing value picks in Round 2 similar to the 2011 scenario and I think that is why this pick scares the heck out of me.

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

You should all look at the 2011 draft.  If the Manning sweepstakes had not been won, we likely would not have taken Von Miller and potentially traded back and ended up with Gabbert, Locker or Christian Ponder.  Colin Kapernik and Andy Dalton were both second round picks that year and had tremendous value.  I believe the 4 QBs are better than all of them, but it is so hard to predict.

This feels like 2011 a bit.  Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk as well as Lamar Jackson if he falls, are very intriguing value picks in Round 2 similar to the 2011 scenario and I think that is why this pick scares the heck out of me.

Peyton didn't come here until 2012. 2011 was the Tebow takes us the playoffs  and beats the Steelers miracle. That was Von's rookie year. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Peyton didn't come here until 2012. 2011 was the Tebow takes us the playoffs  and beats the Steelers miracle. That was Von's rookie year. 

I got that one wrong.  Peyton was in year 2 of Elway.  Totally forgot that Tebow played a year for Elway.  I am getting old man.  I could tell you more about the 1991 draft probably.  LOL

So if that logic prevails and we pick this high once every 7 years, does Aaron Rogers come here next year after drafting Chubb?

Thanks for having my back.

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

Recreating 2011 would require Elway to revert back to overall BPA and not go by need.  And to not lock into guys no matter how the draft board falls on Draft Day.   I’d love that.  We’d all love that.  But that also depends on Elway being able to take the long view as the sole goal and not try to go for present year.  THAT I have a hard time believing will happen.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Recreating 2011 would require Elway to revert back to overall BPA and not go by need.  And to not lock into guys no matter how the draft board falls on Draft Day.   I’d love that.  We’d all love that.  But that also depends on Elway being able to take the long view as the sole goal and not try to go for present year.  THAT I have a hard time believing will happen.  

Can't argue this logic.  As Big Al said yesterday "what are we doing??"  referring to Elway directly.  And I feel the same.  Elway sits ( at least it loks that way, I have no real proof of what he is really doing) and assumes everything will come to him at his price and his terms and it's starting to really set us back.  So I hope he learns from history and does remember 2011.

With the Joe Thomas retirement news, I think the chances we'll see CLE trade down from 1.4 just went way up.  I think the only 2 guys they'd stay at 1.4 are Chubb & Minkah.   Now, they could easily trade 2.1 and change to move up to get a T.   Even though they got Hubbard, I don't think he's their long-term solution, just their immediate solution (and he fits more as RT to be honest, where he'd compete with Shon Coleman).

This has the potential to affect not just who we have available at 1.5...but also 2.7.   Man, this is a draft that has even more moving parts than usual.   The fun ride to Draft Day continues.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

With the Joe Thomas retirement news, I think the chances we'll see CLE trade down from 1.4 just went way up.  I think the only 2 guys they'd stay at 1.4 are Chubb & Minkah.   Now, they could easily trade 2.1 and change to move up to get a T.   Even though they got Hubbard, I don't think he's their long-term solution, just their immediate solution (and he fits more as RT to be honest, where he'd compete with Shon Coleman).

This has the potential to affect not just who we have available at 1.5...but also 2.7.   Man, this is a draft that has even more moving parts than usual.   The fun ride to Draft Day continues.

Enter the Buffalo Bills

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This offseason has been an active/entertaining one for sure.  The lead up to the draft is gonna be wild

Most active this forum has been in ages 

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Also Giants getting Solder was huge. What do you an Arkna think about Justin Pugh injury history but can play rt.

Archived