With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think they view kelly as the 2019 starter and beyond. They think keenum will help him.

Lynch will be kept because of dead money why not keep him. We'll see 

I understand why they are keeping Lynch, but what on god's green earth makes people think Kelly is going to be worth a damn?  Why put him on IR last year, season was lost why not bring him back and see what he has?

I think it's more likely Elway has no idea what it takes to get a top notch QB.  And that scares me

7 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

So we trot out Keenum, Rudolph?  Lynch or Kelly at the QB spot?  That's one more bad season away from Elway's seat getting pretty hot.  He will have to do something to fix that QB spot and I don't think anyone is under the illusion here that Keenum is the long term answer

I think the QB rosters set right now. Let Kelly and Lynch fight it out for the backup spot.

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

I understand why they are keeping Lynch, but what on god's green earth makes people think Kelly is going to be worth a damn?  Why put him on IR last year, season was lost why not bring him back and see what he has?

I think it's more likely Elway has no idea what it takes to get a top notch QB.  And that scares me

I think he's all about team building now he's tired of hearing the word qb.

Elway will give you your Quarter back.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I think he's all about team building now he's tired of hearing the word qb.

Elway will give you your Quarter back.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think the QB rosters set right now. Let Kelly and Lynch fight it out for the backup spot.

Well thats reassuring.   What has Elway really done in the draft not just at QB to give people confidence?  He passed on Russ Wilson for Os, he traded up for Lynch, and now if he doesn't take one of the QBs early we could very well have in the QB room:

Keenum (one good year on an elite team)

Kelly (7th rounder, unproven, unrealistically hyped)

Lynch (1st round bust who if we didn't have dead money would probably have been cut)

31 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

33 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

If Keenum fails to be league average...man this could be a long year.    I like Kelly chances to be a backup but this year?   Lynch growth curve has been just so...flat.  

44 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I just can't see Elway using a large chunk of our cap space on a QB, then using our #5 pick on the same position.

Why not? Keenum would then be a 1-year commitment and the rookie QB would be much longer. Otherwise we're just in this position again. QB is the one position where redundancy happens often. Keenum isn't a long-term answer, the contract itself suggests that. Going year to year wondering who your QB is is not a sustainable strategy.

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Why not? Keenum would then be a 1-year commitment and the rookie QB would be much longer. Otherwise we're just in this position again. QB is the one position where redundancy happens often. Keenum isn't a long-term answer, the contract itself suggests that. Going year to year wondering who your QB is is not a sustainable strategy.

Only one QB can be on the field at a time. As far as BPA, not one QB would be that at #5. We need an impact player with that pick, either side of the LOS. Not another QB to groom.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Only one QB can be on the field at a time. As far as BPA, not one QB would be that at #5. We need an impact player with that pick, either side of the LOS. Not another QB to groom.

So if Keenum fails we are back to square 1.  Having to overdraft a QB, something you've said you don't like.  What if we draft early and an even better player is available than Nelson, but we have 0 options at QB and have to take one?  The QB issue needs to be fixed and I have serious doubts about Keenum being the answer

18 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If it’s QB at 1.5 it’s not a guy we groom.  Agree there.  We just don’t agree that there is no QB who is overall BPA at 1.5.   

As for 1QB-on-the-field - Phi had a healthy Bradford and took Wentz.  GB had Favre and took ARod.  The risk argument and QB vs. Nelson I am with you if the QB prospect is iffy.  I am not with the 1-QB on the field argument.  That would be like saying we should pass on a rookie because we have a vet ahead of him.   If the rookie is good enough you disregard.  And that’s actually 10x more if the vet is unproven. And another 10x if the position is valuable. 

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I know we're not going to agree, but QB is the single most important position. Having a good one puts you in another stratosphere. Keenum may be here for a year. He may fail and we need the assurance. Being at 5 means we either have to spend no additional draft capital to get one, or trade fewer picks. What do we do in the medium term when Keenum's contract expires? Not being planful towards the future at the most important position in sports is a recipe for failure, IMO.

35 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I know we're not going to agree, but QB is the single most important position. Having a good one puts you in another stratosphere. Keenum may be here for a year. He may fail and we need the assurance. Being at 5 means we either have to spend no additional draft capital to get one, or trade fewer picks. What do we do in the medium term when Keenum's contract expires? Not being planful towards the future at the most important position in sports is a recipe for failure, IMO.

This is probably our only chance to get a franchise QB. Or at least try for one. 

Orton Keenum certainly isn't a franchise QB but, even though it's faint praise, he is better than what we had last year and should be enough, with a good draft, to get us from 5 wins up to 7 or 8, or, in other words, enough to secure a draft pick in mid- to late-teens where landing a franchise QB becomes impossible without a monstrous trade up. 

If Rosen, Darnold or Allen are on the board at No. 5, I would use that pick on one of them. They won't do it, I guarantee that, but it's what they should do. But it's been almost 2 years now since this team made a good decision. 

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is probably our only chance to get a franchise QB. Or at least try for one. 

Orton Keenum certainly isn't a franchise QB but, even though it's faint praise, he is better than what we had last year and should be enough, with a good draft, to get us from 5 wins up to 7 or 8, or, in other words, enough to secure a draft pick in mid- to late-teens where landing a franchise QB becomes impossible without a monstrous trade up. 

If Rosen, Darnold or Allen are on the board at No. 5, I would use that pick on one of them. They won't do it, I guarantee that, but it's what they should do. But it's been almost 2 years now since this team made a good decision. 

To be fair if you used Plummer instead of Orton you couldn’t be accused of taking the absolute worst case scenario.  Still would get the point across (neither guy worth passing up QBOTF)  lol.  :D

Archived