With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

At #5 we have a chance for Saquon....why isnt that excited for folks?  We saw what a good running game can do for a team...the Cowboys and Jags can attest this.  And, there could be an argument that Saquon could be better than Zeke and Leonard.  

we don't have an oline like the cowboys though to really enhance a player like Saquon. But if Elway thinks hes a missing piece on the O to really help us don't be surprised if he surprises everyone wtaking a RB

I will tip my cap to @paul-mac he’s making people’s head explode with his call of Allen top 3 pick as a floor in the NYJ-IND trade thread.  ?

It’s interesting that those surprised are from teams that have no interest or shot at the top 4 QB’s.   If you aren’t paying that much attention the rise in Allen’s draft stock probably seems nuts.  But it’s real.  I thought the 1.1 call made 2+ months ago before the Senior Bowl had no shot.   But I’d say it’s 50-50 with CLE going with Tyrod as a stopgap.  

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

At #5 we have a chance for Saquon....why isnt that excited for folks?  We saw what a good running game can do for a team...the Cowboys and Jags can attest this.  And, there could be an argument that Saquon could be better than Zeke and Leonard.  

Until we get some improvement up front I'd just as soon pass on Barkley, no matter how good he is.

I still remember Floyd Little trying to gain yards when Denver drafted him. He had nowhere to run and as he was the focal point of the offense defenses keyed on him. IMO without a good , even average OL, any RB will have  tough time.

27 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Until we get some improvement up front I'd just as soon pass on Barkley, no matter how good he is.

I still remember Floyd Little trying to gain yards when Denver drafted him. He had nowhere to run and as he was the focal point of the offense defenses keyed on him. IMO without a good , even average OL, any RB will have  tough time.

You know if we can get an improvement at RG (assuming Leary moves to LG) I don't think our line is that bad. Bolles is what he is, but he's starting caliber and should be at least a little improved this year, we have an All-Pro center when he's healthy and Leary is a top-notch player at his position. It sounds like they're planning on rolling with Watson at RT, which sucks, but if we can land a day one ready OG in the draft, we have the makings of at least a passable OL. 

I wouldn't mind at all taking Barkley at No. 5 overall, that would be tremendous value getting the best player in the draft with the fifth pick. 

I still think our best bet in the draft is to trade back, ideally with Buffalo. At 12 we can get the BPA, at 22 get WIll Hernandez and in the second get Sony Michel. I think that would be a nice haul. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You know if we can get an improvement at RG (assuming Leary moves to LG) I don't think our line is that bad. Bolles is what he is, but he's starting caliber and should be at least a little improved this year, we have an All-Pro center when he's healthy and Leary is a top-notch player at his position. It sounds like they're planning on rolling with Watson at RT, which sucks, but if we can land a day one ready OG in the draft, we have the makings of at least a passable OL. 

I wouldn't mind at all taking Barkley at No. 5 overall, that would be tremendous value getting the best player in the draft with the fifth pick. 

I still think our best bet in the draft is to trade back, ideally with Buffalo. At 12 we can get the BPA, at 22 get WIll Hernandez and in the second get Sony Michel. I think that would be a nice haul. 

If drafting Barkley includes trading back up in the first to grab Hernandez I'm much more amenable. Without some real improvement at our LG spot we've got problems.

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

FWIW the premise is awesome.   But at 1.22 and 2.7 both guys might not be there.  That’s my problem with the trade back.  If I knew they were there it would be a great result. But esp if Hernandez isn’t there then the plan changes a lot.  If Michel is not there I’d drop back to RB 3.8.  Only 3 RB I’d spend 2.7 on and the other 2 will go before Michel. 

Re: RT if Elway plans on keeping Watson then ugh.  That would be a disaster.  Even if RG (or whatever Leary doesn’t play) better, one weakness that bad in the OL is a killer.  OAK and DAL found that out in 2017.  With Mack, Bosa/Ingram and Ford/Jones we’d be sitting ducks on pass downs. Again.  

I think there are several solid guards in this draft however, I think we’ll get one off them ny our 2nd. And while Watson got beat like a drum by speed rushers, he really wasn’t all that bad in a Run Blocking.  

But man, if we could trade down and get a top a Tackle, then Hernandez, Wynn or one of the other top guards, and Michael in 3?  With Case at QB and some RPO concepts, we’d be light years ahead of last year. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

You know an elite RB can cover up poor OL play? Adrian Peterson did this early in his career as well as Gurley and Fournette in their rookie seasons.

I do agree with AK that drafting a RB needs to be accompanied by upgrading the interior OL, but I do think that the run blocking prowess of our OL is not THAT bad. Consider Anderson looked halfway competent rushing for 1000 yards behind them. It's the pass blocking that's a disaster. Barkley could succeed behind the line, especially with his unreal abilities. I firmly believe we would draft him if he's there, but it's certainly no guarantee.

I love Baker more than anyone in this forum likely. But I will say that I believe we should go elsewhere with 5 after signing Keenum. If Rosen is gone which I’m sure he will be we should look at two players at 5. And trade down if thy are gone. Chubb and Barkley should be our targets. 

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I love Baker more than anyone in this forum likely. But I will say that I believe we should go elsewhere with 5 after signing Keenum. If Rosen is gone which I’m sure he will be we should look at two players at 5. And trade down if thy are gone. Chubb and Barkley should be our targets. 

Agree with every element of this. Denver’s plan should be:  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Chubb, trade down, or Nelson, in that order. 

9 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Agree with every element of this. Denver’s plan should be:  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Chubb, trade down, or Nelson, in that order. 

I’d be down with that big board, with the proviso that the trade down better net us at least 1.12 and 1.22 AND another piece (we are dreaming about a 3rd 1st though lol).  

Chubb with Von could really make a difference for this D. Chubb can rush with his hand down in our 3-4 on passing downs and give us something we haven’t had in a while. 

Barkley is obviously a generational talent at RB. 

Give me the pass rusher first though. 

29 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Chubb with Von could really make a difference for this D. Chubb can rush with his hand down in our 3-4 on passing downs and give us something we haven’t had in a while. 

Barkley is obviously a generational talent at RB. 

Give me the pass rusher first though. 

I dunno, if it's not a QB then it has to be the best player available, and for me Barkley is far and away the best player in this draft.

Archived