2018 FA Targets, QB Options, & Team Needs

Mind Character

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I want Barkley.

Id be tempted to move Duke to WR and take Barkley and keep Crow with a transition tag. 

I rather keep Duke as mainly a RB and let Crow walk. Browns are not gonna be running many 4 wide sets IMO, so I really wouldnt want Duke being ht #3 WR. 

Having the potentail of Barkley and Duke in the backfield at the same time, could cause some crazy mismatches.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d keep Crowell another year if possible and draft a RB in R2. 

Crowell is pretty decent if the OC actually calls run plays.

That said, he may be ready to move on.

he's definitely ready to move on. Part of me can't blame him. 

RB is that position where, unless you have a legit franchise player at the position, you tend to just move on and draft a new guy. I think Juke Johnson is the exception though where we will invest some money in him. 

22 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

he's definitely ready to move on. Part of me can't blame him. 

RB is that position where, unless you have a legit franchise player at the position, you tend to just move on and draft a new guy. I think Juke Johnson is the exception though where we will invest some money in him. 

Crowell can be more successful and get a bigger contract as a result of it if he is playing somewhere else. Our offense just needs New England type backs, catch, block and run occasionally. Have a few of those guys coming in and out, no big money or elite (Barkley) type back needed because we wouldn't get the use out of them for their cost (money and draft pick) anyway. Doesn't really even matter how successful one would be, Crowell had 5 carries for 70 yards or something like that in the 1st half and had like 2 2nd half carries. Maybe if we got a 2 score lead Hue would run more but backs aren't usually that successful under those circumstances anyway, unless you are built as a power run team that is, which we aren't.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Crowell can be more successful and get a bigger contract as a result of it if he is playing somewhere else. Our offense just needs New England type backs, catch, block and run occasionally. Have a few of those guys coming in and out, no big money or elite (Barkley) type back needed because we wouldn't get the use out of them for their cost (money and draft pick) anyway. Doesn't really even matter how successful one would be, Crowell had 5 carries for 70 yards or something like that in the 1st half and had like 2 2nd half carries. Maybe if we got a 2 score lead Hue would run more but backs aren't usually that successful under those circumstances anyway, unless you are built as a power run team that is, which we aren't.

I'm really anxious to see how Haley utilizes our running game here. We didn't not run the football because we couldn't. In fact we have been pretty effective when running the last two years. Our coach just decides to not run often, and often we find ourselves down a lot of points and feel we can't run the ball and get back in the game. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

who are the possible suitors for AJ

Every QB-less coach and FO that doesn't want to get canned for losing next year who also doesn't want to destroy their salary cap on a QB will be in the running for AJ.

There are 6 available/likely to be available QBs in the market that people will be vying for:

1. Kirk Cousins,

2. Case Keenum

3. Tyrod Taylor

4. AJ Mccarron

5. Josh McCown

6. Trevor Sieman

There are 6 QB-needy teams (teams with no clear QB1 under contract) that will be looking to the Free Agency market for a UFA veteran QB (some like the Giants will only look to the draft for a QB as they already have a vet QB1 bridge in place):

1. Arizona

2. Buffalo

3. Minnesota

4. Cleveland

5. Denver

6. Jets

-------------

I think the big name FAs like Keenum and Cousins will end up in Minnesota or Denver not sure who goes where.

------------

That leaves 4 teams in the hunt:

1. Arizona

2. Buffalo

3. Cleveland

4. Jets

Two of those teams (Cleveland and the Jets) will be looking toward the draft for a young QB1 which would probably deter AJ Mccarron from wanting to go to a place where the top 6 pick young QB is on their heels no matter what the previous good relationships formed with coaches (Hue and Zampese)

So, I'd say Mccarron goes to Arizona or to Buffalo.

----------

That means 1. Cleveland, 2. The Jets, and 3.Either Arizona/Buffalo depending on who gets Mccarron would be the remaining 3 teams that would be in the hunt for Tyrod, Sieman, and/or Josh McCown.

I'd say we'd probably end up with McCown out of that bunch.

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I saw his medical checked out. If he’s like McCourtey last year I’d live with it. Not sure how much he has left in the tank.

I’d take him on a 2-3 year deal and cut loose Jamar Taylor. Seen enough lack of effort and seeing #21 getting picked on.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:14 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Has fail written all over it. Maybe we'll trade to get AJ too, can't have too many Bengal backups.

Can't say I'd be excited about that signing. If it's for a cheap deal as a backup, then I'd be okay with it. If it's to be our starter, then no thanks.

As for Crowell, I'd let him walk unless he signs a team-friendly deal. But I think he wants out regardless. He wouldn't be a big loss anyway. He's capable of playing well but he's way too inconsistent.

I definitely wouldn't mind Davis. Johnson is my #1 target at CB, though.

Archived