Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Christian Watson seems like a Packers lock to me as well.  

Turning 23 before he plays a down in the NFL would be the issue here. Maybe they make a "win now" exception but is he really "win now". I'm sure they love his athleticism though.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

24 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Turning 23 before he plays a down in the NFL would be the issue here. Maybe they make a "win now" exception but is he really "win now". I'm sure they love his athleticism though.

He's not a win now guy .. will take him a few years to put it all together.  I don't see 23 as a huge issue though.  24-25 is a different story.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You forgot Pickens.

For me, there isn't enough game film to watch to really know what Pickens is or is not right now.  I love the measureables, it's the production and tape that is lacking.

But yah, throw him in there too.  He's just more of an unknown to me.

• Like 1

This team is not drafting players to "win now" and I don't believe they'll adjust their draft strategy with some artificial timeline.   They are adding pieces in FA to win now and using the draft to hopefully add long-term fixtures to this team.  If they identify a player they think has the potential to develop into a Pro-Bowl/All-Pro talent at #22/#28 they aren't going to hesitate to take them because it might take a year or two of development.   Certainly they expect high draft picks to contribute but it's not going to set this franchise back if their first round pick contributes marginally more than say the Ram's first or second round picks last year did.   

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe as a trade up from one of their SRPs.  But not at 22.

He's essentially MVS but can play special teams.  Can return kicks and pretty good at it.  That being said have a real hard time taking this guy at #22 let alone #28.  High ceiling and low floor type.  If they are really high on him maybe trade up in the second round.  Otherwise pass where I'm at. 

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Turning 23 before he plays a down in the NFL would be the issue here.

I understand and appreciate the Packers reticence in drafting " older" players. Makes sense on the contract side

What I'd be interested in exploring is if that's true across all positions. Is it possible that an "older" DL is better than a "younger" DL in terms of muscle growth, filling out and learning the nuances of the trenches ?
Is it possible that 1 or more positions aren't as age-critical as others ? The financial side surely makes sense, but maybe some positions are actually better with age ?

I'm always looking for market inefficiencies...and while the contract/$$ isn't position-specific...I wonder if some other factors come into play in making these age-impacted draft decisions.

One of the other factors that comes into play with regards to age is the amazing work from Malcolm Gladwell's on the Outliers. In that book, he talks about the inherent advantages that some kids got based on their birth dates.
Being an older 7th grader ( Sept birthday) vs a younger 7th grader ( July birthday) afforded all kinds of advantages to the "older" kids who grew sooner, excelled vs their peers and got better coaching and better opportunities.

The entire field of chrono-sports is really interesting and the Packers age criteria are just one example

https://www.scienceforsport.com/chronological-biological-technical/

40 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He's essentially MVS but can play special teams.  Can return kicks and pretty good at it.  That being said have a real hard time taking this guy at #22 let alone #28.  High ceiling and low floor type.  If they are really high on him maybe trade up in the second round.  Otherwise pass where I'm at. 

He really isn’t “essentially MVS”. Similar height, weight and speed does not make a good comparison.

Watson plays a very different game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I'm not too worried about that.  It definitely is a pattern for the Packers though.  But if he is 23, we have him until 28.  Then a 4 year deal has him until he is 32.  Unless the guy is a superstar, the Packers usually don't pay guys that third (real) contract anyway.