Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, jleisher said:

What about a Terry McLaurin trade?  This would take pressure off the rookies and give them time to adjust to NFL life.  This would also allow the Packers to move away from Watkins and Cobb in 2023.  In 23 they would have McLaurin, Lazard, Watson, Doubs and Rodgers as the big 5.

I'd love a McLaurin trade.  I'm all for it.

But, how would it look, right now?

I have to imagine we looked hard at trading for any receiver that we could.  Cost was too high, as was the next contract.  (Spotrac projects him at 4 years, $84M in 2023)

Our cap situation next year is not good.  We are over by $14.6M.  Jones is a $20M cap hit.  Gary is on the 5'th year option with Savage.

I believe some things can be done, but I don't know if it will be simple or easy enough to get under and that is without a high end WR contact on the books.

I think the most likely thing is that our WR room is what it will be for this year, minus a one year deal for minimum dollars to someone.

Next year we work some cap magic and see if we can get under far enough to make a run at an established WR.  

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd love a McLaurin trade.  I'm all for it.

But, how would it look, right now?

I have to imagine we looked hard at trading for any receiver that we could.  Cost was too high, as was the next contract.  (Spotrac projects him at 4 years, $84M in 2023)

Our cap situation next year is not good.  We are over by $14.6M.  Jones is a $20M cap hit.  Gary is on the 5'th year option with Savage.

I believe some things can be done, but I don't know if it will be simple or easy enough to get under and that is without a high end WR contact on the books.

I think the most likely thing is that our WR room is what it will be for this year, minus a one year deal for minimum dollars to someone.

Next year we work some cap magic and see if we can get under far enough to make a run at an established WR.  

I am thinking it would be McLaurin, Watkins, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Watson, Doubs and Toure this year.  As for cap # for the following year doesn't concern me.  We have all seen that Gute and Ball seem to be able to work things out if they want to.

11 hours ago, jleisher said:

I am thinking it would be McLaurin, Watkins, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Watson, Doubs and Toure this year.  As for cap # for the following year doesn't concern me.  We have all seen that Gute and Ball seem to be able to work things out if they want to.

Your lack of concern reminds me of the little pig who built his house of straw, which was fine until the big bad wolf came and blew his house down. Same with the little pig who built his house of sticks..................but the one who built his house with bricks, could not be blown down.

This is a relatively long-winded way of saying that this is a serious situation, unlike anything in Green Bay's past. The future consequences could make it very difficult to both keep good players and stay under the cap. The future may be less about "working things out if they want to" and more about who they cannot afford to keep, and for how long they push cap debt into the future.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Trading high picks for a high priced vet is the worst way to build a roster IMO. You're sacrificing both picks and cap space. If you need to go outside the team to acquire veteran talent, sign free agents.

Seriously. The desperation is unbecoming. Not to mention Gute had a shot at drafting him and chose Turdberger instead lol. 

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

It's fun to say what you just did.

But now think about it.

What would the trade look like?  You think he is showing to camp without a contract?  (Maybe he would, maybe he would not.)

As far as saying "Gute and Ball seem to be able to work things out" is kind of a cop out.  Take a look at next year's cap situation.  I think I can find ways to get under the cap.  Now find more ways to get another 8-9M under the cap for just that one player.

In other words, it's fun to think about, but if being realistic, that is a tough one to pull off.

It is much more realistic to let the front office do their work and see if we have any room left to make a run at a free agent WR next off-season.

Once again, I hate everyone on here.

Because of being here listening to all of you, I was drawn into a conversation about how Gute and Ball are idiots.

Idiots because they haven't signed Cole Beasley and JC Tretter.

And the dude is super SERIOUS.

I mean, I can't even reason with that kind of stupid.

It's like how @Norm 's mom looks at me when I don't take seconds on her meat loaf.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, Leader said:

CheeseheadTV  -   Let's pump the brakes on defensive expectations.

• Ross Uglem -   IMO, this is very fair. I *love* the personnel, but my faith in the coordinator is lukewarm at best and they were 22nd in defensive DVOA, 28th in rush DVOA, and 10th in ppg against. Elite would be another (significant) step forward.

I think some great elite dominating defenses are aggressive and take risks.  Every choice comes with some risks...

1. Dominate opponent run?  That may involve some choices that expose the secondary some.
  2. Dominant pass rush to get young QB's head spinning?  That may sometimes involve some blitzing.  But, doing so may expose the secondary some?
  3. Take away the easy pass?  That may involve playing receivers tight to take away the short easy completions.  But again, doing so might expose the secondary some to the deeper completions?   

I think Gray and MLF prefer very conservative defense?  Gray seems an advocate of big soft cushions.  Prevent the deep ball, but concede easy short stuff.  MLF doesn't like to blitz much and expose his secondary.  And they've tended to be OK with a fair bit of running, again to protect downfield passing.  Don't imagine Gray or MLF changing the philosophy, at least not so long as the offense is scoring enough to win 13 games a year defensing the way they do.  Perhaps if the offense gets worse, they'll need to take more risks defensively, beats me. 

Edited by craig

Imagine how brain dead Washington would have to be to move on terry right now.

Plenty of cap, wears the C and by all accounts does things right. This is the culture they claim to be trying to build.

Now its washington and they might **** this up but I cant imagine theyd let go without a serious overpay.

Also it might be a cop out to say "they'll figure out the cap" but its ******* true and we can step pretending. First 2 years ******* league min just to have 3 void years at the end. It just doesn't. Just gotta push money past Rodgers and it'll work itself out. Stop pretending.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Once again, I hate everyone on here.

Because of being here listening to all of you, I was drawn into a conversation about how Gute and Ball are idiots.

Idiots because they haven't signed Cole Beasley and JC Tretter.

And the dude is super SERIOUS.

I mean, I can't even reason with that kind of stupid.

It's like how @Norm 's mom looks at me when I don't take seconds on her meat loaf.

OMG you too with the effing meat loaf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Imagine how brain dead Washington would have to be to move on terry right now.

Plenty of cap, wears the C and by all accounts does things right. This is the culture they claim to be trying to build.

Now its washington and they might **** this up but I cant imagine theyd let go without a serious overpay.

Also it might be a cop out to say "they'll figure out the cap" but its ******* true and we can step pretending. First 2 years ******* league min just to have 3 void years at the end. It just doesn't. Just gotta push money past Rodgers and it'll work itself out. Stop pretending.

Exactly right. We'll probably see news in the next couple of weeks saying they signed him to a 4 year extension. 

But if he was available, go for it.  Sign him to a big deal, use up our remaining cap space that isn't allocated for practice squad or emergencies. The cap is easily manipulatable, and it always goes up so you can always allocate more to the future.

You lose good players after their best seasons are behind them. This is probably the last season for Aaron Jones, possibly Bakh too. Adding McLauren doesn't make these outcomes any more or less likely. Go for the gold when you're right at the finish line.

RichRymanPG -  Packers construction season fully under way at Lambeau Field. Unfortunately, Lot 1, tailgating central, will be unavailable this season. Some new routines will be created.

• Green Bay Gazette -  The Packers notified season ticket holders who normally park and tailgate in Lot 1 on the east side of Lambeau Field that the area will not be available this season. They will be relocated to Lot 9 on the stadium's southwest side. 

Edited by Leader

On 6/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, Leader said:

RichRymanPG -  Packers construction season fully under way at Lambeau Field. Unfortunately, Lot 1, tailgating central, will be unavailable this season. Some new routines will be created.

• Green Bay Gazette -  The Packers notified season ticket holders who normally park and tailgate in Lot 1 on the east side of Lambeau Field that the area will not be available this season. They will be relocated to Lot 9 on the stadium's southwest side. 

Got to try and force people into the bars and restaurants somehow. 

Murphy is nothing if not a capitalist. 

On 6/21/2022 at 6:05 PM, Brat&Beer said:

Trading high picks for a high priced vet is the worst way to build a roster IMO. You're sacrificing both picks and cap space. If you need to go outside the team to acquire veteran talent, sign free agents.

This ..

The only two scenarios I would ever trade a high draft pick for  highly priced vet are for a QB and for a genuine all-in season. And by all-in, I mean all-in with the intention to rebuild the following year writing off any meaningful challenge.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, jleisher said:

Fair doos it doesn't concern you. But Ball and Gutey work things out because they have budgeted for it and as part of that it will very much concern them and will be the reason why we aren't signing free agents all over the place.