Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Pickings are pretty scarce. Per PFF’s tracker, out of the top 18 FA TE’s they list, the only ones left unsigned are:

Austin Hooper (29), Foster Moreau (26), Irv Smith Jr. (25), and Marcedes Lewis (39). I think I read that Hooper is now visiting the Raiders. 

& if you really wanna scrape the barrel, Spotrac has others listed, who are deep-bench guys, like Cameron Brate (32). 

The only thing scarcer would be the amount of cap space we have to sign them.

Do yourself a favor and get on the Josiah Degeura hype train

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

The only thing scarcer would be the amount of cap space we have to sign them.

Do yourself a favor and get on the Josiah Degeura hype train

We have the 3rd most cap space in the league currently. If we trade Rodgers we'd still have the 13th most cap space.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We have the 3rd most cap space in the league currently. If we trade Rodgers we'd still have the 13th most cap space.

Yeah but you have to look at potential cap space and future commitments. Per Ken Ingalls, if Rodgers is traded for a 2nd round pick, draft class is signed, Yosh signs his tender, Gary extended, etc. We are at $700k in cap space with very few moves that can actually open up more cap space for another free agent.

12 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah but you have to look at potential cap space and future commitments. Per Ken Ingalls, if Rodgers is traded for a 2nd round pick, draft class is signed, Yosh signs his tender, Gary extended, etc. We are at $700k in cap space with very few moves that can actually open up more cap space for another free agent.

Nijman is already included in those. Even with Rodgers trade we have 13th most cap space. A Gary extension likely gives us more cap space ($10 mil hit currently).

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nijman is already included in those. Even with Rodgers trade we have 13th most cap space. A Gary extension likely gives us more cap space ($10 mil hit currently).

Yeah but why push more money out with Gary, no need to back end load it. If we can fit more in this year it helps future years. Taht is what gets us in cap hell in the first place. If AR is moved i would think we stand pat with FA. Maybe some very low end vets but that's about it. EXtend our own guys hopefully not pushing out to much money so we can reset faster. Need to get the needle moving in the right direction. 

5 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Yeah but why push more money out with Gary, no need to back end load it. If we can fit more in this year it helps future years. Taht is what gets us in cap hell in the first place. If AR is moved i would think we stand pat with FA. Maybe some very low end vets but that's about it. EXtend our own guys hopefully not pushing out to much money so we can reset faster. Need to get the needle moving in the right direction. 

The cap goes up every year, front-loading deals never happens because it's poor cap management.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The cap goes up every year, front-loading deals never happens because it's poor cap management.

Yeah i guess, but when we have dead cap, it makes sense to be prudent which the Packers are. yes they will back end load lots, but they also in years past have been a bit more prudent. I do get it, but at the same time why spend a couple mil on a vet who doesn't move the needle vs getting cap right sooner. 

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think we need to sign Crosby to all remaining cap space available.  

that was sarcasm right:). Need to reboot at the Kicker game too. Crosby's leg is done. No joy in seeing KO's to the 10 yard line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

Every team has the same issues Ingalls is pointing out. The bigger and more relevant roadblock to us making any serious FA moves is the fact that we have basically used up all of our cap-manuvering moves to create new space. What current cap numbers in a list don't show you is that a team may only have $7m in cap space but still be "richer" in terms of the ability to sign FAs versus us because they may have 3-4 easy cap restructures available. The Packers have virtually exhausted all of their moves to create more cap outside a few tiny ones (Runyan for example), an extension for Gary or trading Savage/Nijman. 

That's the main reason why, even at the $13m or so post-Rodgers trade, we still have to be pretty frugal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

You cruel Packer fans! Pushing BOTH AR and Crosby into retirement :)

I'd be ok if he went to kick for another team no reason to retire. He's had a great run, came back after that one horrendous season but his leg just isn't there. Time to get younger and cheaper at the position. Either draft a big leg late or an FA.