Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I've been concerned about it since week 1.  I've been complaining about it since week 1.  I've been saying it's our biggest offseason priority since week 1. 

You put an IDL who can get pressure on this team and this defense is capable of being a top 1 defense in the league.  Not just in points, but in everything. 

Clark is great and everything, but Lowry and Adams and Lancaster are not so much that. 

I trade our 3rd round pick right now for Leonard Williams even if we knew he won't re-sign with us in the offseason. 

Williams is only 25. Conceivably trading for him makes DL no longer a need next year 

Edit: I'm saying I'd give him an extension upon trading for him

Edited by smetana34

15 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Williams is only 25. Conceivably trading for him makes DL no longer a need next year 

Edit: I'm saying I'd give him an extension upon trading for him

I'd give him an extension, too, if it were to happen.

But, Outpost is right.  Even if it's a rental and we give up a third, odds are we get at least a 4'th back as comp for him if he leaves in free agency.  Teams really don't under pay for young, talented defensive lineman in free agency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Just how bad was it in GB before the purge?

"... the Packers have welcomed LaFleur and a few influential free agents into the mix, and together they’ve transformed an organization that had fallen into a rut. In years past, Green Bay had maintained a buttoned-up culture—one perpetuated by an insular locker room composed of players who had come up through this system."

"... so far the 39-year-old head coach’s most significant contribution has been the dialogue he’s created with players."

"This fall, when Alexander heard the Smiths commenting on a song coming over the speakers, he told them that they had no idea how lucky they were to be hearing it. “I was like, ‘Bro, if you was here last year, you would be very grateful for the **** they play now.’”

"After years of relying on homegrown ideals, the Packers have shed their old skin and injected new life into one of the NFL’s most storied franchises. In the process, they’ve remade themselves into a contender unlike any Green Bay has seen in recent memory. "

"Newcomers like the Smiths and safety Adrian Amos have made a massive on-field impact, and beyond that, they’ve changed the way even longtime Packers feel about the atmosphere in the locker room. “We’ve brought in people from the outside with different perspectives of how culture should be—instead of growing culture inside out,” says left tackle David Bakhtiari, who’s played in Green Bay for his entire seven-year career. “Guys have been other places and experienced different cultures, where usually, guys have come in and experienced only this same environment.”

"For players like Alexander and linebacker Blake Martinez, who were with the franchise before this year, this kind of meetup represents a titanic shift. During Martinez’s second NFL season in 2017, a team dinner at a Longhorn Steakhouse drew six players. In Alexander’s rookie season in 2018, the defense ate a single meal together away from the team facility. About 10 guys came. Martinez says the difference in the unit’s desire to spend time together has been night and day. “This is probably the most fun I’ve ever had coming to work, and coming to play football, ever,” Martinez says. “Even when I was a kid. You’re just so excited to get in here.”

"According to Martinez, every member of the defensive starting lineup has spoken up at one point or another during practice. The Packers used to be defined by a few scattered voices; now, they have an 11-man chorus that works together in unison. “It’s never been like that,” Martinez says. “It’s always kind of been one guy saying something, and after Week 8, it’s like, ‘Oh my God, this dude keeps saying the same stuff over and over again. Whatever.’ Now every person wants the same thing.”

"when Amos arrived in Green Bay, he found that the young roster hadn’t been taught how to properly let loose. “There was a lot of constraints I feel like,” Amos says. “Young guys don’t really know when to do this, when to do that.”

As Pettine sat in the draft room and listened to Gutekunst lay out what he saw as the team’s needs, he was taken aback. “It’s rare that a GM thinks there are more holes to fill on a defense than a defensive coordinator does,” Pettine says. “Usually, the ones I’ve been around, it’s ‘This is a playoff roster,’ and you don’t feel that way. He did not need much from me. He was very well aware of our issues.”

"A few hours before the Week 5 gathering at Amos’s house, the Packers sat down to watch film of the win over Dallas. As a clip of the defensive players sprinting to the end zone to celebrate a second-half interception popped onto the screen, LaFleur noted that the offense will join the party soon enough. “They’re working on it,” Preston said “They’re not used to celebrating together.” Before this season, the defense wasn’t either.

"A frigid, quiet town may not seem like the most desirable destination for top-flight NFL free agents, but Amos and the Smiths are willing to admit that considerations like location, scheme, and franchise pedigree were less important than securing the most lucrative deal on the table. “Of course the money factor is the biggest thing,” Amos says. “I’m a fifth-rounder.” The Packers’ biggest free-agent signings didn’t choose Green Bay because of history or mystique. They chose it because the Packers—for the first time in recent memory—were willing to throw around cash other teams weren’t."

"As the individual players in Green Bay’s locker room have gotten up the nerve to express their personalities, a stagnant franchise has found one of its own. The Packers were in desperate need of a reboot, and with that fresh start, the entire organization seems rejuvenated. It’s a new day in Titletown, and everyone is welcome."

AMEN.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

this list brought to you by opening the stats page on NFL.com and writing down the first 4 names they saw

lol, holy crap it really is. Tackles, 2 tied for most sacks, INT leader.

That makes total sense, I just never really processed it past Martinez. I didn't even know Blake was leading in tackles (all are 4+ yards downfield though so they shouldn't count!)

• Like 1