Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 11/23/2019 at 12:19 AM, {Family Ghost} said:

Jennings catches a lot of heat these days, but he was one hell of a receiver in his day.  So tough .. Would go to areas he knew he would take a big hit.  As a player I don't have anything bad to say about him .. He was a gamer and a great player in GB.  

I remember his rookie year he blew people away in training camp with his route running. He also had these soft hands that made catching look easy.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

I remember his rookie year he blew people away in training camp with his route running. He also had these soft hands that made catching look easy.

We could really use a clone of that guy these days .. a silky smooth route running dynamo.  Gute should be targeting receivers in that mold.

Two games taken from an 11 game sample does not an exact fit make, but it is interesting......

Zach Kruse -   The power of coaching and defense. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady both have 2 games this season with 30 or more attempts and under 5.0 yards per attempt.

Packers are 0-2 and were outscored 63-19.

Patriots are 2-0. Won 16-10 and 17-10.

///////////////////////////

Seems to me NE/Brady have been living off the short pass. Sure there's a vertical quality to their passing game, but its been the shot pass (IMO) that's made the overall passing game work.

Dont know the stats, but believe the offense Brady's in has him releasing the ball quicker than most QB's. Thats why it's kinda boring....but it's also efficient....and it's served to keep Brady healthy (all the way through to multiple Super Bowls) for years. That certainly cant be because NE's offensive line is superior.....or their WR's all that great - cause thats not what they're recognized for.

Why their passing game can maintain its vertical qualities - INCLUDING the middle of the field - while ours has a "sideways" or lateral look to it compressed between the hashmarks & sidelines.......is a frustrating mystery.

Edited by Leader

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Two games taken from an 11 game sample does not an exact fit make, but it is interesting......

Zach Kruse -   The power of coaching and defense. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady both have 2 games this season with 30 or more attempts and under 5.0 yards per attempt.

Packers are 0-2 and were outscored 63-19.

Patriots are 2-0. Won 16-10 and 17-10.

///////////////////////////

Seems to me NE/Brady have been living off the short pass. Sure there's a vertical quality to their passing game, but its been the shot pass (IMO) that's made the overall passing game work.

Dont know the stats, but believe the offense Brady's in has him releasing the ball quicker than most QB's. Thats why it's kinda boring....but it's also efficient....and it's served to keep Brady healthy (all the way through to multiple Super Bowls) for years. That certainly cant be because NE's offensive line is superior.....or their WR's all that great - cause thats not what they're recognized for.

Why their passing game can maintain its vertical qualities - INCLUDING the middle of the field - while ours has a "sideways" or lateral look to it compressed between the hashmarks & sidelines.......is a frustrating mystery.

He gets rid of the ball quick and does not take sacks. two qualities Rodgers may never develop. Rodgers will take a sack even on a 3rd or 4th down instead of at least passing the ball. 

1 minute ago, gopackgo247 said:

He gets rid of the ball quick and does not take sacks. two qualities Rodgers may never develop. Rodgers will take a sack even on a 3rd or 4th down instead of at least passing the ball. 

Agree with this......but wonder if the overall is system or the individual player.

One of the reasons I was in favor of McDaniels becoming HC was I wanted him to bring that offense. Boring as it may be - its been good enough for the team to get to a lot of Super Bowls. Yeah, okay....playing in the AFCLeast has helped, but you get my drift.

You think putting AR in that system - as "constraining" as it may seem - wouldnt change his playing style? 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with this......but wonder if the overall is system or the individual player.

One of the reasons I was in favor of McDaniels becoming HC was I wanted him to bring that offense. Boring as it may be - its been good enough for the team to get to a lot of Super Bowls. Yeah, okay....playing in the AFCLeast has helped, but you get my drift.

You think putting AR in that system - as "constraining" as it may seem - wouldnt change his playing style? 

When McDaniels name was brought up last year, I was also on board with his offensive strategy for an aging QB.  Definitely intriguing.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What changed? Our #1 receiver is back.

My new theory based on nothing at all is that Rodgers basically plays for the downs Davante is on the field; when he's not, he plays it absurdly safe to ensure he gets another play with Adams.  Then when Adams is on the field, he can't maintain eye discipline and basically returns to Adams over and over hoping he's winning on his route.  Is this fair or based on objective fact?  Not at all but I don't have a damn clue what else it could be.

• Like 1