Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

From Spotrac:

Aaron Rodgers, GB, 36
2021 Cap Hit: $36,352,000
2021 Dead Cap: $31,556,000
Potential Savings: $4,796,000

The addition of Jordan Love to the Packers puts Rodgers' long-term status on the clock. He's fully guaranteed through 2020, but there's a world where Green Bay could move on next March. Rodgers has a $6.8M roster bonus due March 19th, 2021, so any kind of move would likely precede that. Doing so would leave behind $31.5M of dead cap to the Packers, all in 2021. It's a huge number to take on, but when you factor in Love's minimal $2.8M cap figure, the combined damage isn't much of a change at all for them. Toss in what would be a few really strong draft picks in trading Aaron and the move could be very attractive to Green Bay. A trade next year means $73M cash off the Packers books going forward.

Humilty....its a good thing.

Draft Day One

The setting: CWood21 - "IF Justin Jefferson gets past 20-22, he'll be available IMO.  If Jordan Love gets past 23-24, he'll be available IMO"

Me - 3mins later - "We're not drafting a QB with our first pick"

ThatJerkDave moments later - "I doubt we trade up for one, but they would probably go for it at 30"

My reply - "Okay.....I just dont see it"

Zhycho32 - "Do the Chargers pick Love?"

BK - "I can't wait til we take Love."  (On instant replay read, I must say BK was all over the Love selection)

Jaegybomb -  "Love makes more sense"

Me - once again weighing in with some critical draft commentary - "We're not taking a QB with our first pick. Take it to the bank"

Outpost31 (then...) - "Bummer.  I would not have been bummed with Murray.  He'd have been exciting at least"
Outpost31 (now...) - "I am going to take every single opportunity I get to remind people that drafting a receiver, ILB or IOL or RB in the first round is a terrible idea"

Me - with more riveting commentary - "We need a CB.....and it's our curse to select a CB in the first round LOL"

cannondale - "Taking a corner would feel like dress socks for xmas at this point"

Outpost31 - "I'm starting to get nervous and excited about taking Love.  It would be a present bummer, future thriller. ****, we're drafting Love.  Unless a team trades up in front of us, we're taking Love"

Redt - trying to sound like me - "We are not picking Love"

ThatJerkDave - "Yeah.  We're taking Love.  Kind of a bummer.  Not going to help for at least 2 years"

packfanfb - after SF snags Aiyuk - "So much for getting an impact WR. Lol. Who's left? Mims and maybe Pittman?"

Outpost31 - "Hopefully they didn't just steal our receiver if that's where we were going. I don't want Love to be a consolation prize"

Me - weighing in AGAIN with conviction! - "We're not drafting Love. Ain't gonna happen"

packfanfb - "We just traded"  (The world stopped spinning.....)

skillbret15 - "we traded up?"

Outpost31 - "I am no longer okay with a WR. Too many have gone already for the value to be there"

Golfman / Outpost31 - "WE ARE ON THE CLOCK!"

fistfullofbeer - " We got Love"

Me - "**** NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

/////

All I can say is....I was ON it!  This I'll use this transcript to get a job with ESPN :)

On 4/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, Kepler said:

Gollum?

“We converts some more first downs,” soundses like Dan. 

Can’t believe that sat in the box unposted. It was crisp then, stale now.

Aaaanysway, I liked that short video, Sasquatch.

I’d likeses to see them media boys have successes in reals jobses.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 2

Acme Packing -  If the Packers wanted to improve their running game, they went about it in a funny way. Aaron Jones and a good line already made them an excellent rushing team, but the loss of a key member of that line and cutting into Jones’ carries will likely make them worse, not better. Failing to add a receiver will likely leave the passing attack unchanged, and another year of 12 has me betting on a decline, not an improvement.

The Packers also still have big holes in the secondary with Tramon Williams likely not returning. Jaire Alexander is their only solid talent at the position, and many of Kevin King’s problems were glossed over due to a nice interception total. While the safeties are fine, this team will still struggle to cover opposing wide receivers. While they added an inside linebacker, they also did nothing to increase their bulk on the defensive line, and they are as vulnerable to teams like the 49ers as they are to pass-heavy teams.

Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur drafted to implement a new offensive scheme while failing to address every major hole. They did so with a buffet of outstanding receivers offered up to them. The teams they are attempting to emulate have all spent high picks on receivers over the past several seasons because even the few run-based teams still understand that passing is king, and that the run can’t set up the pass if the pass is bad.

They failed to understand the relative value of the players they really wanted, reaching for low-value halfbacks and fullbacks when both likely would have been available later.

They picked a questionable quarterback prospect and will lose two key years of financial flexibility as result. And they traded up for the privilege.

It’s honestly hard to imagine a team having a worse draft.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing -  If the Packers wanted to improve their running game, they went about it in a funny way. Aaron Jones and a good line already made them an excellent rushing team, but the loss of a key member of that line and cutting into Jones’ carries will likely make them worse, not better. Failing to add a receiver will likely leave the passing attack unchanged, and another year of 12 has me betting on a decline, not an improvement.

The Packers also still have big holes in the secondary with Tramon Williams likely not returning. Jaire Alexander is their only solid talent at the position, and many of Kevin King’s problems were glossed over due to a nice interception total. While the safeties are fine, this team will still struggle to cover opposing wide receivers. While they added an inside linebacker, they also did nothing to increase their bulk on the defensive line, and they are as vulnerable to teams like the 49ers as they are to pass-heavy teams.

Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur drafted to implement a new offensive scheme while failing to address every major hole. They did so with a buffet of outstanding receivers offered up to them. The teams they are attempting to emulate have all spent high picks on receivers over the past several seasons because even the few run-based teams still understand that passing is king, and that the run can’t set up the pass if the pass is bad.

They failed to understand the relative value of the players they really wanted, reaching for low-value halfbacks and fullbacks when both likely would have been available later.

They picked a questionable quarterback prospect and will lose two key years of financial flexibility as result. And they traded up for the privilege.

Some folks/media just don't have any foresight whatsoever!  I didn't necessarily agree with the draft but I totally get it.  How in the world does Acme have any idea at all on these players drafted?   Answer ...  They don't.  All they go by is some talking heads working for click bait.  The "writer" of this article has their own opinion on the draft … chances are in 2-3 years that person will be crowing how great the draft turned out.  

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing is sounding like the last guy in the bar talking to the bartender about how ugly the girls are that left with the better looking guys.

I don't buy the assumptions or the arguments.

I mean, I did buy them DURING the draft, just like the better looking guys were complaining about the girls DURING the evening. But I'm not THAT guy anymore.

Love will do that to you.

• Like 1

It certainly wasnt what one would call a "conventional" draft.

How it plays out will depend on when/if they actually play some games.

I'm fine with AR leading the team. No problems with that whatsoever and dont view this as some sort of crisis moment. Far from it.
We were a good team heading into the draft. We left it a stronger team.

EVERYBODY'S got some holes they're plugging up. Everybody.

If the GB FO plan works out....and Love pans out......what I foresee is the Packers continuing in the "post-AR" period with as minimal a "crash" (records-wise) as possible. THAT differs from the normal assumption - which borders on a desire with some folks because there are benefits to that crash and climbing out.

There's also benefits to continuity and success. Just different ways of going about it.

• Like 1