Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, craig said:

Chili, what do you know about Randy Ramsey?  He was originally listed as OLB, and to my understanding still is.  But IIRC, he listed at likely only 238, which seems way out of pattern with the big OLB we've otherwise assembled.  

I guess what I'm kinda wondering:  is he still actually an OLB, or is he kinda blended in with the ILB, and could be an emergency depth guy there?  A "flexibility" ILB? 

Or is he perhaps a niche OLB, a smaller quickster to be used if they need somebody with drop-coverage speed? 

Or is even asking dumb: he's totally a ST guy, and has no fit for any snaps at ILB or OLB? 

Or is perhaps the 238 totally obsolete, and he's more 254 than 238, and isn't too small to be a pass-rush OLB?    

It's weird, because I feel like my memory of Ramsey on the field last year was of a bigger, more athletic guy than the numbers would indicate by a fair margin.  He's definitely going to be the drop OLB if he gets on the field at OLB, but I wonder if they kept him in part simply because he can move over to ILB if Burks/Summers/Martin all wash out this year for one reason or another.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Don't know how to embed tweets but Snacks was basically talking up every team. Said Bears could be an option. Cleveland, had conversations with Dallas but no offer.

I think the highlights are that he said there is a reason he hasn't signed yet, and that reason might be changing shortly (I can't help but wonder if kids outta school, but that's pure speculation on my part).

That teams have been making requests the last couple of months, but he purposely asked (I assume by his agent) not to be told who the teams are. Which suggest all his knowledge on which teams were interested MIGHT be months old. 

But in response to users tweets, he suggests that the Packers did request his services (though again, don't have a timeline on when), disappointment dunkin' donuts are getting smaller and smaller, said Bears are an option (though no context, if that's a thought or there were conversations), Cowboys called but didn't offer a contract (which make me think maybe the Packers did offer a contract as that was more blunt straightforward), Brown's DL players are his real life brothers and he was supposed to join them last year, he loves the Lions coaches but he'd have to change a lot including getting away from who he is to be reunite with the Lions so it's unlikely, doesn't know the recent teams that have reached out the past couple of months, and then he gets upset when a Brown's website lying suggests he lobbied for a spot on the Browns, which he out right says he did NOT!

So, with some assumptions, Packers at one point this offseason, probably (not 100% sure) offered him a contract, among other teams, but something has been holding him back from knowing details of which teams (maybe more) and that something might be changing soon. And he doesn't like when people misquote him, which is why I've been careful with my words and pointing out assumptions.

19 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

It's weird, because I feel like my memory of Ramsey on the field last year was of a bigger, more athletic guy than the numbers would indicate by a fair margin.  He's definitely going to be the drop OLB if he gets on the field at OLB, but I wonder if they kept him in part simply because he can move over to ILB if Burks/Summers/Martin all wash out this year for one reason or another.

that's exactly why they kept him. He can rush, but his athleticism allows him to do things others his size cannot do.

Mentioned this the other day. The fact we haven't filled the 53rd roster spot suggests we have a vet in line to sign but are waiting until after Week 1. It should be Veldheer given that we kept Nijman as our 3rd OT and our own OL coach admits he has a long way to go before he's ready to play. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Mentioned this the other day. The fact we haven't filled the 53rd roster spot suggests we have a vet in line to sign but are waiting until after Week 1. It should be Veldheer given that we kept Nijman as our 3rd OT and our own OL coach admits he has a long way to go before he's ready to play. 

My guess is someone from PS gets moved up to 53 when they sign Dexter Williams to PS. Maybe Light.  

Rob Demovsky -   The Packers are signing DT Daylon Mack, the former fifth-round pick of the Ravens in 2019.  He will fill the open roster spot. He worked out for the team on Monday and has been going through COVID testing. He played in just one game last season.

Andy Herman -  Former teammates are reunited. Texas A&M DLs Kingsley Keke and Daylon Mack.

Aaron Nagler -   Like this signing. Guy has some game.

Edited by Leader

Scouting report on Daylon Mack

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/daylon-mack

Get-off/Burst - Unbelievably explosive in general, but especially for his size. Quick first step consistently creates a push up front, so fast off the ball at times that opponent cannot even build his house in pass protection or get into his first step as a run blocker. Has some snap-jumping to him, but even when he doesn't time it up he's still exceptionally twitchy.

Leverage - Built-in leverage gives him an immediate advantage off the snap, but still plays too upright at times and doesn't utilize his natural gift. Became more consistent in his technique this season, which was key to his success. Has the power to re-set the line of scrimmage quickly when his pad level and hands are right.

Hand Usage - So much better this season. Still doesn't have much in the way of pass rush moves, but controlled the line of scrimmage far better due to his ability to get hands inside and bench press blockers off his frame. Finally matched technique with his raw power to create movement at the point of attack. Won his gap consistently this year, maximized arm extension and locked out blockers to keep his frame more clean.

Rush Plan/Counters - Still his biggest area of weakness. Occasionally flashes a club-swim combo, but most of the time is a bull-rush only guy. Slow-burn rusher who isn't likely to help out much on third downs due to lack of creativity and some lateral stiffness. Often subbed out on long and late downs by Texas A&M.

Mental Processing/Block Recognition - Still coming along in this area, but much improved in 2018. Processed double teams and showed a much better anchor due to his awareness. Still can get knocked back at times, but read and attacked his keys faster this season, which led to more success. Can get reached initially on zone plays, but has the quickness and improved hand technique to climb back across his opponent's face to get playside.

Range - Playing nose tackle heavily, didn't have a lot of opportunities to play run-and-hit football, but has displayed impressive wheels for a big man before in his career. Can really move for a big guy, acceleration in the open field and ability to alter angle on the move is impressive.

Bend/Flexibility - Has had some balance issues when trying to turn tight corners before. Built-low to the ground so his lack of flexibility is easier to overcome, but does not appear to stand out in this way on tape.

Tackling - Hits and wraps up. Doesn't have a big tackle radius, but is physical at the point of impact and will hit if he lines you up. Can't make those tough tackles outside his frame against more elusive quarterbacks, but throttles down well to stay in control in space.

Competitive Toughness - Played hard and physical this season. Motor was impressive. Appeared to have lost some weight after playing too heavy as a junior. Does get rotated out fairly often, but likely to be the same case in the NFL anyway.

Athleticism/Size - As a five-star recruit, Mack has the rare combination of being a big dude with excellent quickness. I'm not sure he'll wow at every event at the Combine, but he's undeniably explosive on tape and has plenty of bulk to handle interior work early on in his career. A lack of great length does limit his ceiling some.

BEST TRAIT - Burst/Get-off

WORST TRAIT - Rush Plan/Counters

RED FLAGS - None

Daylon Mack will remind folks a good bit of Poona Ford, except with way more hype in his background. A former five-star recruit, Mack didn't blossom into the star he was expected to be at the college level, but staying for his senior year may have been the best move of his young life. A new coaching regime unlocked the potential in Mack, who had a career year and played his best football during some of the team's biggest matchups (Alabama, LSU, Clemson).

Mack isn't going to wow anyone as a pass rusher, but his power at the point of attack and improved hand technique could make him a rookie starter on early downs. He's the rare run stuffer with the power to re-set the line of scrimmage and the explosiveness to disrupt plays in the backfield as well. Mack may never be an ideal three-down player, which will push his stock to the mid-rounds, but he's capable enough as a rusher that he will be a valuable mid-round pickup for whatever NFL team sees fit to claim him.

Round Grade: 4th

Like the read of his draft prospects/talents. Dont like the fact he's already been on a number of rosters....with little effect or accomplishment. 

PFT -  Mack appeared in just one game last season for the Ravens and was waived by the team in August. He was claimed off waivers by the Detroit Lions and spent less than a week with the team before being waived again. He landed with the New York Giants for the last couple of weeks of training camp before being let go as a part of the team’s roster cuts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

Like the read of his draft prospects/talents. Dont like the fact he's already been on a number of rosters....with little effect or accomplishment. 

PFT -  Mack appeared in just one game last season for the Ravens and was waived by the team in August. He was claimed off waivers by the Detroit Lions and spent less than a week with the team before being waived again. He landed with the New York Giants for the last couple of weeks of training camp before being let go as a part of the team’s roster cuts.

2020’s Howard Green, obviously 

• Like 3