Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Dont like the fact he's already been on a number of rosters....with little effect or accomplishment. 

He's an A-Gap only player who doesn't offer a lot in the way of pass rush.  That's going to limit how much he sees the field anyway.  Not that this isn't a useful player in circumstances, but the modern NFL sort of de-emphasizes most of what he does best.

• Like 1

Bringing in Daylon Mack has Milt Hendrickson fingers all over this. First Nico Siragusa, Markus Jones, Tim Williams, Ricky Wagner and now Daylon Mack. The Baltimore connection is still running strong but it hasn't done much for us so far.

Whilst Mack was drafted by the Ravens in April 2019 and Hendrickson joined the Packers from the Ravens a few months earlier in Jan 2019, I can imagine Hendrickson played a part scouting Mack during the 2018 season. If the Ravens scouting department liked him enough to draft him in the 5th round then that suggests Hendrickson must've liked him too. Just signing him to our roster is further proof of that.

Mack wasn't cut from the Ravens because of poor performance but because of injury and the numbers game. However i've read he did enter minicamp overweight but apparently he got that back under control. He entered training camp with a non-footballing injury to his leg. He obviously recovered enough to make the roster but was a healthy scratch for all but one game before he suffered a knee injury and putting him on IR.

Then covid happened and like all teams Baltimore had to cut players to get below 80 for training camp and he unfortunately was a casualty of that.

Shortly afterwards just about a month ago the Lions claimed him off waivers but he failed his physical. Surprisingly we did not jump in for him then and he went to the Giants instead. 

I'm interested to know why we did not go in for him the first time round after the Lions failed his physical. He would've benefited from partaking in our training camp, we really did need bodies on the DL.

A month later he's finally on our 53 but only after a tryout. perhaps Hendrickson wasn't 100% sure on him after all. Maybe he was but needed to convince other decision makers first before bringing him in. Maybe we wanted to see how much he has recovered from his leg injuries?

Right now I feel we got one too many DL and too few ILB. Adams might be on the bubble but if I were you I would keep your eyes on Lancaster.

Lancaster is taller, lighter, longer and more athletic than Mack but Mack numbers aren't that far off Lancaster's despite being 23 lbs heavier. Not including Clark, I don't think we have room for two run stopping only DL on the roster. 

I think bringing in Mack will allow us to compare with Lancaster for a couple of weeks and then one of them will be cut to boost depth in other positions in the weekly churn of the bottom of the roster.

Had we brought in Snacks I reckon Lancaster would've been the first to go.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

He looks much more dynamic than Lancaster. Lancaster is more upright and much less mobile. With the eye test I think he does appear to be an upgrade on Lancaster.

Lancaster looks like a guard playing on the DL. You would think just sitting there and filling gaps would help stop the run but our run defence was not good with him. Maybe we need a different approach and finding someone with more dynamism, someone who is more proactive at getting their hands on rushers may just what the doctor ordered for our run defence.

Edited by Chili

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My guess is Mack came out of the lockdowns out of shape and bounced around camps this summer. Guy had a really good senior year and dominated the 1-1's at the Senior Bowl. He's a much better Tyler Lancaster if he's in shape.

5th round vs UDFA. On paper he should be an upgrade.

Hopefully he will continue to learn some professionalism from the senior players and develop the motivation and routine to keep his weight under control. This can take a while for younger players to develop.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Bringing in Daylon Mack has Milt Hendrickson fingers all over this. First Nico Siragusa, Markus Jones, Tim Williams, Ricky Wagner and now Daylon Mack. The Baltimore connection is still running strong but it hasn't done much for us so far.

Didn’t that one Z. Smith guy from Baltimore contribute on special teams last season at least?

3 hours ago, Chili said:

5th round vs UDFA. On paper he should be an upgrade.

Hopefully he will continue to learn some professionalism from the senior players and develop the motivation and routine to keep his weight under control. This can take a while for younger players to develop.

Yeah.  Can't imagine a guy who's failed physicals only a few months ago, who's gotten released by three other teams, and who draft team didn't think was worth an 80-man spot, is likely to have any Nowacrat value.  But perhaps that's a humbling experience, and a good town and good clubhouse, like the Packers seem to have, will help him to realize that his 5-star days are history, and that he's going to need to work at his body and at his craft to play in the NFL.  Maybe by next season, or perhaps even November, he'll be healthy and fit enough to fill a niche role in certain matchups.  Seems like a good Buildican possibilty to take a shot on.  

Still, other teams have PUP and IR and PS, too.  So if the team that knew him best didn't think he was some rehab away from being a useful NFL guy, and didn't think he was worth waiting for, there's a good chance that he's just never going to end up being worth waiting for. 

But I've got no complaint with taking a look.