Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who starts the training camp thread around here? Only 4 days away. I'm as excited about this camp as any in the past decade. Hoping Rodgers doesn't show up so they can get Love as many reps as possible. 

Same here .. I'd like to see Love lead the show for a few weeks at least.  

Ian Rapoport -  Saints star WR Michael Thomas is expected to miss the start of the 2021 season after undergoing surgery to repair the ligaments in his ankle in June. Based on the timing of the surgery – and recommended 4 months of recovery – Thomas could be on the sideline for weeks.

• Peter Bukowski -  This means no Thomas for Week 1 vs. the Packers.

👍

This I'm actually fine with. Time to do a partial "burn it down and rebuild" starting in 2022. Do whatever you can to get Rodgers to play this season and then he goes, Adams goes, and a handful of other guys (Preston, Turner, etc.) go as well. Get Love under center and try to rebuild around him over the next 1-2 years and get the team back into a top unit. 

Good on Adams news.

Top 2 favorite Packer receiver of all time, but you don’t win Super Bowls by paying record breaking contracts to receivers who earned the contract at 26 and up.

Pay defense, draft and develop offense.

We should not have paid Jones.

The only offensive players you break the bank for are tackles and quarterbacks if you can work their contracts to give you a two or three year window where their cap hit is 12% or lower (and if they’re not so egotistical as to demand a new contract two years into the one they just signed).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good on Adams news.

Top 2 favorite Packer receiver of all time, but you don’t win Super Bowls by paying record breaking contracts to receivers who earned the contract at 26 and up.

Pay defense, draft and develop offense.

We should not have paid Jones.

The only offensive players you break the bank for are tackles and quarterbacks if you can work their contracts to give you a two or three year window where their cap hit is 12% or lower (and if they’re not so egotistical as to demand a new contract two years into the one they just signed).

The Jones deal isn't bad for us though. It's basically a 2-year deal that is very team friendly for a guy who has been a stud for us the last few years. I'm perfectly fine with that deal. If we don't have Rodgers/Adams next season, at least having that Jones/Dillon combo with Love will be something, plus whatever we come up with at WR. 

This also could mean we see the Packers turn their attention to paying Tonyan instead of Adams. 

Edited by packfanfb

Aaron Nagler -   Panic over a negotiation we have no details on, other than the Packers don't want to give Davante Hopkins money? They've won every game he's missed due to injury since LaFleur came on board. I love Davante & hope they find a way, but dial back on the panic talk.

Matt Schneidman -   Can confirm report that Packers and Davante Adams' camp have cut off extension talks. I'm told Packers don't want to recognize DeAndre Hopkins' deal when considering Adams'. Hopkins makes $5.25 mil more/year than any WR. Doesn't seem GB wants to make Adams highest paid.

If the Packers don't want to lose Adams they can franchise tag him for the next couple of years.  The Bears are doing that with Robinson.  If the player isn't giving you a decent home town discount on a long term deal it just makes more sense to go it one year at a time with the franchise tag anyway.  The risk falls on the player instead of the team.

Bill Huber -  Adams wants top-receiver money. The Packers are perhaps concerned about giving it to someone approaching his 30th birthday.

Tom Silverstein -   Maybe I’m old and jaded, but how many times have you heard negotiations with the Packers are broken off, nothing is going on, and then they make the guy the highest-paid player at his position. They eventually pony up for their best players, they just insist on their structure.

If we tag Adams I'd be looking to trade him to the highest bidder after. Really don't want a situation where he's deeply disgruntled the year after we do away with a disgruntled QB. Would obviously love to have him back as well but a full reset wouldn't bother me a bit.

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I swear some of you guys just like the process of creating a good team just to tear it down and do it again. 

In a capped league, you have to do that to some extent. Identify your core and do not give out those expensive third contracts to aging, expensive and often very talented vets. If you play it right you have a young up and comer and the compensatory system will soften the blow.  Easier said than done and if you mess up, you have a giant hole at safety while Charles Woodson is still balling for someone else.