Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

51 minutes ago, Joe said:

Just think, we could've drafted a WR last year in the deepest WR class in quite sometime and not have these issues...and we wonder why our MVP QB is mad...

That's interesting cause in the laundry list of "reasons" cited by AR/his team...not drafting a WR was never mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

That's interesting cause in the laundry list of "reasons" cited by AR/his team...not drafting a WR was never mentioned.

Packers have no worse than a top 15 group of receivers.  Gute made it clear they wanted to move up and draft Jefferson and then Auyuk and both were gone. At that point the receivers they could have targeted were no better than the ones they already had and that was more than proven last year don't you think. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Just think, we could've drafted a WR last year in the deepest WR class in quite sometime and not have these issues.

...and we wonder why our MVP QB is mad...

Yes, we could be like the vikings and draft who the pundits say we need.

Then we could be like the vikings who have won 3, yes three, playoff games in 15 years.

We definitely needed another WR for a struggling offense who only ended up #1 in the league.

Sounds like a great plan! 

(I can't find my sarcasm font!)

• Like 3

On 7/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, mikemike778 said:

This is also why the Packers would probably hold their ground and not trade him for anything this summer.   Maybe if they could go back and undo some/most/all of the off-season moves then they would be more likely to trade him but they can't.

It's not only that, but trading Rodgers right now is literally the worst possible time to trade him from a draft capital standpoint. You either make this trade before the draft or you wait until after the season before the next draft. There is no in-between and you sure as hell, under no circumstances trade him to a team who's record will then exponentially improve for the first draft pick you're getting in return. This seems so elementary, which is why I keep laughing when people talk about trading 12 right now. It's not happening. 

Edited by packfanfb

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

you sure as hell, under no circumstances trade him to a team who's record will then exponentially improve for the first draft pick you're getting in return.

This is 100% backwards...

you try very hard not trade him to an already good team whose record would not improve "drastically" (meaning the team is already good) because the odds are much higher that the picks will be much worse.

you 100% target a team whose record needs exponential improvement because it means the team is worse, and the chances of a better pick are much higher.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Just think, we could've drafted a WR last year in the deepest WR class in quite sometime and not have these issues.

...and we wonder why our MVP QB is mad...

My concern isn't missing out on a WR in a deep draft class, it's filling the back end of the roster with guys with potential and the ability to play ST, which you can find just about anywhere(FA/UDFA/late round picks) for cheap. Sheperd had none of those qualities. 

44 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is 100% backwards...

you try very hard not trade him to an already good team whose record would not improve "drastically" (meaning the team is already good) because the odds are much higher that the picks will be much worse.

you 100% target a team whose record needs exponential improvement because it means the team is worse, and the chances of a better pick are much higher.

I think we are talking about 2 different things. You're talking more about the effects on draft picks in year 2 or 3 of the trade, I'm talking about the 1st year. If you can get both, great, but you control the variables for the 1st year, not the ones that come after Rodgers is with his new team. Trading Rodgers to any team in the NFL (minus a few with other top QBs) is going to make that team drastically better over night. As such, once you trade 12 for draft picks, most of those picks are going to be affected by him joining that team and not in a good way for GB. The exception is the 2022 1st round pick we get from the trading team. The ONLY way that pick is impacted is if you trade Rodgers right now. That's why it's a stupid play. You wait until the season is over, then you get the best draft pick in 2022 because you're getting it from the team without them having had Rodgers for the past season. Naturally, it's going to be a better pick.  

The Raiders made the same mistake when they traded Mack. Even they admitted that they picked the Bears over the Packers because they assumed they would get a better 1st round pick from Chicago in 2019. But after trading Mack to the Bears on September 1, the Bears went 12-4 and he was a big part of that. So that hope for a top 10-15 pick went out the window and the Raiders got a high-20s pick from a team with a top NFL record that season. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think we are talking about 2 different things. You're talking more about the effects on draft picks in year 2 or 3 of the trade, I'm talking about the 1st year. If you can get both, great, but you control the variables for the 1st year, not the ones that come after Rodgers is with his new team. Trading Rodgers to any team in the NFL (minus a few with other top QBs) is going to make that team drastically better over night. As such, once you trade 12 for draft picks, most of those picks are going to be affected by him joining that team and not in a good way for GB. The exception is the 2022 1st round pick we get from the trading team. The ONLY way that pick is impacted is if you trade Rodgers right now. That's why it's a stupid play. You wait until the season is over, then you get the best draft pick in 2022 because you're getting it from the team without them having had Rodgers for the past season. Naturally, it's going to be a better pick.  

The Raiders made the same mistake when they traded Mack. Even they admitted that they picked the Bears over the Packers because they assumed they would get a better 1st round pick from Chicago in 2019. But after trading Mack to the Bears on September 1, the Bears went 12-4 and he was a big part of that. So that hope for a top 10-15 pick went out the window and the Raiders got a high-20s pick from a team with a top NFL record that season. 

I'm picking up what you're putting down, my friend. My bad.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Gotcha and agree.

My only counter point is that I ASSUME that part of the Rodgers deal would be young, good players going to GB.

And...just picking on Denver here....if we were to get say, Chubb and Jeudy?  Yah, I can see how that team with Rodgers and minus those two are better than a team with Chubb/Jeudy and whomever they trot out at QB.

Peter Bukowski -   4 of the 5 top QBs in YAC+ last year were in Shanahan tree offenses.

After Mahomes it's:
2. Rodgers
3. Goff
4. Cousins
5. Mullens

Marquez Valdes-Scantling doesn't get the credit for being a great YAC guy, but his speed makes him elite there. He was 2nd in YAC+ to Michael Pittman Jr last year. Davante Adams finished 11th.

MVS is highly productive after the catch in part because of his route tree. A lot of deep routes where he's already behind the defense means plenty of open space to work. But guess what? That's really freaking valuable.

Add on:  MVS and Davante are UFA in 2022.

Edited by Leader

24 minutes ago, malak1 said:

No. Tee Higgins would be the second best WR on the Packers today and last season. 

Wondering what the # 1 weapon Rodgers has with his # 1 offense in 2020? And what is missing to keep him from having the # 1 offense in 2021?